Summon Scorpion doesn't receive "Cold" tag even with points in Cold Skills

I have leveled my Cold Minion Beastmaster to the point where I can now use the Summon Scorpion. When I place points in the node that converts Poison chance to Frostbite, my Scorpion changes its appearance so it has an Ice texture, but it doesn’t actually have the Cold tag applied to it. I’ve tried re-summoning the Scorpion after placing the points and logging in and out to see if it was a temporary display issue, but nothing would give it the Cold tag.

I find it odd that the nodes change the appearance but don’t give it any particular tags compared to the Sabertooth Tiger, where placing the nodes in Ice Tiger did give it the Cold tag. It is especially more odd that the Scorpion skill has the capability to get the Cold tag, but none of the nodes can actually provide the tag.

Images

Only thing I can think of is taking a node that grants the Scorpion base Poison damage, but if 100% Poison is converted to Frostbite, it shouldn’t continue to have the Poison tag. Please look to see what internally can grant the Scorpion the Cold tag.

Conversion tags are only given to abilities/minions/companions that have their base damage converted or added or changed.

Ice Tiger in Summon Sabertooth is given a “cold” tag because it is given base cold damage.

Cold-Blooded node in Summon Scorpion doesn’t have a “cold” tag because it doesn’t convert or add base cold damage to the minion, it only converts poison to frostbite.

I agree that these instances where the monster changes appearance but its base damage stays the same isn’t consistent. It’s definitely something to bring up under feedback.

Thanks for the report.

Edit: Ah I see it actually does have a cold icon by the ability. I have to talk to the team about that.

1 Like

Does that mean that unless the companion ability explicitly states that it’s changing to a new ability, like the Venom Nova changing to Lightning Nova, the ability is separate from the companion itself and doesn’t change type? I had assumed that the Venom Nova would be part of the Summon Scorpion skill, and that Cold-Blooded’s conversion would affect Venom Nova as well as its basic attacks. That’s why I was confused that the Scorpion still had the Poison icon even though any Poison should have been converted to Frostbite.

If you are saying that’s not the case, then Cold-Blooded would only work with any base Poison chance - like that from Concoction - and picking Cold-Blooded would mean you’d be doing base Physical damage with a chance of Frostbite while Venom Nova would be still be doing Poison damage which would be unaffected by increases in Cold damage.

That’s… unoptimal to say the least. Especially as freeze has much lower returns in higher monoliths than something like Shock or Armor shred as Freeze is wholly dependent on Enemy maximum Health.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.