Strange screen when Leaving Game to Character Screen

Yesterday evening, I left game to go back to the character screen and the game went Not Responding for longer than usual. When the game unfroze, my character screen was shown but with the Home / Login page overlain on top with “Welcome EHG_Judd” shown as the player name instead of my own.

I didn’t manage to get a screenshot because I was kind of surprised, but after maybe 10-15 seconds the game caught up with itself and loaded completely into just my Character Screen.

Everything worked fine and I did not encounter it again last night or this morning. I assume this is just a default state / placeholder that may be there all the time, and we are not usually able / supposed to see it, but wanted to let you know it hung around for a bit under extreme game freeze / process hang scenarios in case something was hardcoded somewhere.

If there is any other information I can provide, feel free to let me know and I’ll give w/e I can. I’ll try to reproduce it for a screenshot as well today.

You became EHG__Judd…just go with it man!

I was able to reproduce it, but wasn’t fast enough to get a screen cap. Steps to reproduce:

1. Leave any game to character screen.
  2. On a PC that is older (Geforce 660ti, i7 sandy bridge, around 9 year old build), running the game in windowed mode, the game window will go into Not Responding mode in Windows.
  3. The user alt tabs to another window, defocusing the game.
  4. For varying durations (seems to be based on how long the cpu, disk, or whatever resource is taxed), the user can see the described overlay on top of their character screen.
  5. The game will recover to the proper screen (Character Select) as soon as the resources are available and not taxed.

It looks like my original suspicion is correct, and behind the scenes there is a hardcoded state / default page that shows “Welcome EHG_Judd”, probably for the offline client that we never see normally.

This doesn’t actually do anything bad or cause issues from what I can see, but again just wanted to report it and provide as much detail as I could so you knew, and in case anyone else ever sees it and looks for if it was reported so they don’t freak out.

Cheers!

Thanks for the report, I’ve logged this internally. As you said, this doesn’t actually cause any problems, there’s just a piece of UI with some default text that shows for a few frames when it shouldn’t.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.