Stop off-screen range attacks

I love pulling mobs around the whole map, kite them to the objective and kill them all together.

If enemies are getting harder in empowered monos, I have to be careful to only pull as much enemies as I can handle.

I don’t see any flaws with the current implementation.

Mobs don’t draw aggro from offscreen. Some of them can hit you off screen, when you already engaged them once. So you should be aware of what enemies you aggro’ed. You can dodge projectiles and have to have a bit if awareness.

People already are just running past all enemies to get to the mono objective as fast as possible. This shouldn’t be made even easier by mobs losing aggro or not being able to hit you, when running by.

So for me the issue only exists if you are playing to aggressive and pull more than you can handle.

Some enemies are more lethal than others and should be focused instead of being ignored.

My experience is only through playing the campaign (for now) so my view is influenced by its difficulty, not the monoliths. Standard difficulty is no difficulty at all, so masochist is more or less close to Elite Grim Dawn difficulty. Controlled pulls is an option, but in the case of the cultists and melee characters, you have to engage at close range and thus pull more monsters that you have no prior awareness of - meaning you must have a reasonable option to retreat. Off-screen attacks work against that.

Also, making something annoying is never a great decision. I’d be very surprised if the devs said it on record that their aim in monster design is to make them aggravate people and make game experience annoying.

There are other ways to nudge people away from this (if that’s even a desirable thing to nudge away) - gatekeeping by strong mobs, teleporting every pulled mob to a “master” mob before the objective, etc.

1 Like

after a little more play time I have found that the offscreening is not terrible., it happens consistently but infrequently.

I have run into two legitimate situations of mobs that were invisible, i.e. completely off the edge of the screen, attacking with projectiles. In path cases they were on the left/right side. This tells me it’s not a screen geometry issue, since the original situation was a mob off the bottom of the screen.

As for my previous statement about you shouldn’t be able to kill things off-screen, i didn’t mean they can’t die. I mean you shouldn’t be able to target the edge of the screen and do damage by virtue of the fact that it’s sitting “just past the edge”. clearly something that has a DoT attached to it should be able to die offscreen and there’s no reason why that can’t happen.

My question continues to be, and it’s never been answered, i mean generally not specifically with w.r.t to LE, why this happens so consistently. I’d really like to know why this seemingly trivial thing appears to be difficult to prevent.

I’m just hoping the developers can keep in mind that this is an incredibly annoying effect and anything they can do to minimize it would be great. It can put melee builds at a significant disadvantage for obvious reasons. You could get attacked by something you can’t see, and then have to cross the entire screen and attack. In my off-screen situation i mentioned at the start , the mob was large enough that i died almost immediately (I was hit by a LOT of projectiles, LOL).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.