Sound design for combat

To begin with, please excuse my English, I come from Slovak country and I learned German and native language together.

I’ve been reading the forums and playing the game for the last few days and I finally have a better understanding of what’s bothering me about the game.

Sound design for combat!!
Don’t get me wrong, the music and sound effects in many areas are luxurious, but they are poorly calibrated for combat.
This results in a feeling of weak impact, physics, the feeling of cutting into paper instead of monsters.
For example, Harvest is an ability that has the sound set to low, the same as werebear maul.

A good contrast is with the Rogue, the Puncture is beautifully set and you can feel the impact.

I understand that animations and physics are very demanding on money, but even more so the game should catch up with the sounds and they are like a roller coaster, some are set with good impact, others with bad.

It would also be good to have a better two-sided impact, the sound of the ability + the sound of the surface it passes through (bone, flesh, stone, etc.).

If you can boost and calibrate it well, I think a lot of people will be happy.

I will be glad if you add your opinion to the discussion, I would be interested in what you think about the whole topic.
BTW: I’m adding a reddit comment that motivated me to start this thread.

You hit on something that I’ve been feeling for a while now - the “feel” of combat. Something is just…off. I can’t quite put my finger on what it is. It’s gotta be something having to do with weight, impact, etc. Maybe it’s some animation frames missing or an animation concept like momentum/acceleration/physics that are off. I really can’t tell, but it doesn’t “feel” impactful and good, even with screen shake turned on. Feels like monsters, abilities, etc are “papery” and sort of float across the screen.

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree completely. It has gotten better since the last time I posted about it which was in 2020 (also the last time I commented on these forums). But it is definitely something that needs more work. Here’s hoping.

You may find this section of a previous Dev update interesting… It doesnt specifically speak to sound, but its relevant to your comments:

1 Like

In addition to what @vapourfire provided, the June Development Update also included some information on changes to combat feel, and within the Reddit post of this news Judd Cobler, LE Game Director, shared some further details on this front:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.