Skill level cap is way too low

I’m not able to fully visualize this system of yours.

Am I imagining it right as something along the lines of this?
https://i.imgur.com/5BhU7Qa.png
Amount of passives and paths is simplified, but they should generally be a smaller amount in the range of ~5, no?

I think it could be neat, and each block would be represented by a different blessing. The first monolith would only offer tier 1’s, the trees of increased gold gain and increased exp gain etc. would all have their own layout with different passives.

Points could be gained every time you finish a monolith.

Right now each individual passive is meant to (in an ideal world where a game can be balanced 100%) offer equal value per point spent, with slight value per point increase as you reach a higher “tier” or row (I assume, though this is often not the case).

Your version of “this passive is stronger than the others, so it costs more” is in the end no different from the current “this passive is stronger than the others, we need to nerf this or buff the others”.
And also, people would probably unlock every single passive for the value of going from 0 > 1.

In the end, you can ballpark it so that it comes out to about the same, right.
→ It was and is more about the combination of “similar as it is now” and “the last character level-ups don’t bring enough/give you the good feeling of progression”.

Who can skill up approximately how often and where (whether in one of the passive trees or in the skill trees) would come in the end - as now indicated several times - to very similar values.

EDIT:
If each skill point costs some (different amount) and the total limit within the skill trees is limited (character level dependent), you wouldn’t waste your points - still - somewhere, I think.
→ The same then applies within the championships.

I was thinking more like;

https://imgur.com/DF8taNz

Each “skill” has it’s own tree with up to 4 tiers. You can only take one skill all the way through tier 4. You could get a second skill up to tier 3. And so on. The trees wouldn’t cross over with each other, but there would be a cost. If you take tier 4 on “skill 1”, you can’t get tier 4 on any other skill.

I understand, it’s an interesting concept.

Seeing as we can specialize in 5 skills, would I be able to trade a higher tier for a lower one? Such as 1x t4, 2x t3, 2x t2 and 5x t4?

How would the points be limited, on a per tree basis or on a total basis?

Interesting idea. Wouldn’t you pretty much always just max out your main attack skill? Feels a bit like a false choice (like how a mobility skill is supposedly optional).

Overall i like where the skill trees are ignoring those that definitely need an update (mostly primalist).

I want that to happen and i see it happening in the future. I remember Jerle ask how LE will keep a fresh feeling of old skills the same way POE can revamp old skill with support gems. The response from Sarno was they would more likely add new nodes to the skill trees.

Since your goal is to have people distribute more points, the passives would need to have a higher max point cap but where each increase has a smaller effect, in order to reach a total effect similar to the current passives.

Most passives will either be maxed out or have a single point put into them, due to the way the majority of passives are specialized to suit certain builds.

Your want to make it feel more rewarding when leveling up during the lategame, but an issue with that is that at a low level, a single passive point doesn’t amount to much change, but at a high level a single passive point can have a huge effect due to the compounding of other passives and gear.

So a passive point at lvl 90 is already much more valuable than one at lvl 10, what you’re proposing is amplifying that discrepancy even further, making it feel like you’re not rewarded at all when lvling up at low levels, and giving huge bursts of power every time you level up in the endgame.

It’s kinda off topic. The trees aren’t meant as an idea for the current LE skills. It was just an idea I had for a tech tree system.

It isn’t really that innovative. There are other games that do similar but they just let you specialize more and more with classes. It would be like Sentinel > Void Knight > Dark Lancer > Death Dragoon. Each class upgrade would have its own subsequent tech tree. Almost like a class tree. Ragnarok Online does something like that.

In the end, I feel that if adding a new way of character progression, it’s better to do so in a more generalized way (i.e “mini passive trees”) rather than making specialized skills even more specialized. In that case I’d rather see those skill improvements be added to the base skill tree and maybe increase the max skill level.

Essentially everything is correct, only the following still needs, I think, a supplement:

In the low levels, everything builds up first anyway, and level ups in this area usually happen very quickly. It goes basically blow on blow ahead, there it does not make much, if one first only quite few points per level up gets, that balances itself out then already fast enough.
→ With lvl 50, for example, you can already do a lot of things.

You could also set a possible limit within individual skill trees and the passive trees; and that could also be based on the respective character level. There would be a whole range of possibilities to not let the whole skill system grow out of proportion.

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

(The whole thing also remains just a proposal that can be discussed further…)

Yes that’s a fair point, but excuse my unwillingness/inability to do the math, but if we’re using a point system as the one you proposed, wouldn’t the player relative to the current system be receiving less power per levelup all the way to lvl 50, and only then start to decrease?

That’s pretty much the whole campaign. Even if that is not the core of the game, it’s meant to draw new players in and want to actually experience what comes after it.

I still feel like this system wouldn’t truly address the core of the issue, it just ends up as a psychological trick.
Sure you’ll get a whole 90(!) points when you reach level 90, but in reality those 90 points will only be worth maybe ~2 of the current passive points.

How do you come to that?
→ How much 90 special points are worth in your example would be - as indicated several times - to determine more precisely (balancing as EHG considers correct).

I think and hope you meant increase here.
→ And again, lvl 50 was an example.
Plus in my first post it was (hopefully) obvious that a point in a skill tree could also cost only a few LITTLE special points.

Again in sum: :slight_smile:

As it is:
1-> Today you get one passive point per level up to distribute.
(More HP and the like I leave out at this point).
2-> Each time you click/raise in these passive skill trees costs 1 such passive point.
3-> You need at least 20 points in one of the class archetypes to be allowed to put in the class specializations.
4-> The active skills level themselves up to max lvl 20 (without items).
5-> Skillslots are automatically unlocked at certain character levels. (max 5)

How it would be:
1-> You would get special points per character level, exactly as many as the character level you have reached.
2-> These special points can be spent in the passive skill trees, whereby the individual passive skills would still have to be weighted in their costs. (balancing).
3-> You need at least ??? special points (balanced by EHG) in one of the class archetypes to be allowed to put in the class specializations.
4-> These special points can be spent in the active skill trees, whereby the individual active skills would still have to be weighted in their costs. (balancing). The maximum special points that one may “invest” in this way in such an active skill tree, depend again on the own character level or are identical with this.
5-> Skillslots are basically also unlocked with special points. How expensive this will be is again a balancing question. How many of them you are allowed to have in the end is also a balancing question. (I would suggest more than 5 at this point. First, these skill slot unlocks in such a system coocur with other, more combat-relevant things, secondly, some would like to - and quite a few potential purposes come to mind - simply use many more such skill slots at the same time).

EDIT:
Just to point 4 I would like to say something more.
→ In such a system (the new one), the user basically has the choice between several “supposedly” weaker and therefore cheaper skill boosts, or just a few less of the better ones. (or mixed of course)

In today’s system, almost everyone takes the supposedly stronger points, since they are all of equal value/equal cost.

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

I thought you meant to have them only work as passive mastery points.

In which cause you’d use 50 as the base value and make it equivalent to what is currently 1 point, since it’s just -1 and +1 before/after.

But anyway, if we’re talking universal points that can be used for nearly all character progression besides gear and blessings, it’s definitely different enough that things would get shaken up. For good or bad.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.