Rogue needs throwing support

I was really enjoying Chakram mode for the Shurikens skill, and when I started considering a long-term / late-game build that would use it, I was disappointed to find that there’s pretty much no support for the throwing tag in any of the passive trees. Rogue has 2, Marksman has 1 while having around 20 that support bows, and Bladedancer has 2 while having around 15 that support melee or melee weapon types. Oddly, the two Bladedancer passives that support throwing each unlock passives that only support melee.

Anyway, I don’t know if this is an oversight or if they plan on giving Falconer throwing support, or what. If it’s just an oversight, it would be nice if you could just add the throwing tag to a bunch of the existing passives as you see appropriate, so that a dedicated Shuriken build could exist.

There are strong possibilities with shurikens, but as a way to apply mainly poison damage. The rogue is very much about dots.
I agree, it would be nice to see more throwing passives for her.

1 Like

Yes, but kinda not entirely.

The Rogue does have 3 that mention “throwing” explicitly (Swift Assassin, Lethal Cadence & Disembowel), but all of the nodes (except Coated Blades) affect Shurikens (though for Sapping Strikes to work you’d need to make the skills zero cost with 1 Ballista’s prefix).

Similarly for the Bladedancer, while there are only 2 nodes that mention “throwing” explicitly (Scarlet Stream & Rhythm), most nodes affect Shurikens except those nodes that only affect melee, such as Veil of Night or Crimson Shroud & there’s only 5 of those.

Marksman is more bow focused than Bladedancer is melee focused.

Hopefully Falconer will have some more support for throwing skills.

1 Like

Falconer is planned to have more throwing attack support than Blade Dancer or Marksman and will be the natural choice for most throwing builds for Rogue.

Blade Dancer and Marksman are supposed to still be options and quite a few of their nodes work with throwing skills even if they don’t specifically mention them, but once Falconer is released even Blade Dancer and Marksman throwing builds will probably want to dip into the lower part of the Falconer tree. Given the lack of that option, throwing builds currently feel quite restricted for Rogue. We’re aware of this issue, but any fix we implement now would likely just be a placeholder until the Falconer is released, so we aren’t prioritising it.

8 Likes

Are there plans to change the way throwing damage scales base damage? The current method of tying up ring prefixes feels really bad.

They’ve said before that they don’t want to put flat throwing damage on weapons because you’re not “throwing your weapon”. So probably not.

I’m not throwing my Rings, either.

Just sayin’

I know! I’m just saying what the devs have stated as their view! Whinge at @EHG_Mike!

That’s good to hear. Thanks for the reply!

Aaaand new character idea for DnD. The idea with rings is that they are giving magical enchantments to your whole character. That being said, the affixes on weapons also represent magical bonuses, so you still have a point. It’d be interesting if they could add belt or trinket prefixes since those would be more closely tied to throwing stuff in your pockets.

I guess keeping it separate from weapon scaling is one way to add build identity, but I agree there should be more ways to acquire flat damage on throwing skills, even if the skills themselves have to be nerfed to compensate imo. Always burning ring prefixes isn’t very interesting or much of a choice.

Weapons can give Chance to Chill, Ignite, etc. for attacks and spells you use which hit, even if they don’t hit with that weapon. Even for thrown attacks. Having flat damage on the weapon should be the same.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.