Removing RNG From Crafting

PoE did implement something called “smart loot”. But only for very specific rewards mechanics, its not a baseline mechanics that affects all loot.

I could something similar in LE in the future for specific rewards mechanics as well.

But the RNG in LE is already far less relevant, since LE does not have that many affixes and affixes generally speaking are seperated in offensive(prefixes) and defense(suffixes).

Regardless of what EHG would do in the future (if anything), they definitely need to come up with something tailored towards LE’s loot, sicne both GD and PoE’s systems doesn’t make a lot of sense in LE.

But it is also very important to look at loot and crafting slightly seperate.
At the end they are interlinked in some capacity (since you will often times craft on loot, that you randomly dropped).

LE’s crafting system is already almost purely determinsitic, the only random things are Rune Of Removal, Rune Of Discovery and Glyph Of Chaos, all other things have a deterministic outcome. (And all of those options are just high risk- high rewards crafts that are optional)

Only the amount of crafts you can do on one individual item will vary.

1 Like

Apart from the amount of forging potential that’s consumed when you craft, and that’s not a small thing.

This one is weird since for the most part on something like say an exalted I almost never run out of FP so my “rng” comes down to actually hitting despairs, removals or some other hard rng factors.

Where as on rares you can have a rare that is almost perfect for crafting but spawned with a low end of fp making it really hard to actually finish the craft because one botched “bad” rng that takes like 15 fp booms the item.

I think FP needs a pass value wise for items under exalted cause right now even on a solo character starting with no shards or gear, a decent strat is to just go farm exalted nodes and ignore everything sub exalted, even an exalted with a stat you dont need at t6 can generally be crafted into a 3 prop item way easier then a rare :confused:

As for the topic of “Rng in crafting” I actually like the current level of rng other then FP, I think if they just removed fp and focused on the hard choices like removal, chaoses and despairs then it would be perfect.

As I said 2 lines lower, from where you quoted…

Yes, but you just can’t say “this thing is almost entirely purely deterministic … apart from the bits that aren’t & they’re a fairly big part of said thing”! It’s like it’s an advert & you need to read the fine print/Ts & Cs (terms & conditions)…

That’s because the higher quality (white/blue/yellow/purple) an item is, the higher it’s FP when it drops. This way you value the higher quality drops because you can get more crafting done on them, rather than preferring the lower quality drops because they have more open slots to do the crafting on.

There’s always going to be RNG that ****s you over. Which I think is kinda the point of this thread to be fair…

The FP thing is not a “big thing” IMO.

Yes it leads to sometimes having items not getting to the desired powerlevel, but the outcome of most crafts is deteministic, which already is a lot “stronger” in regards to player having control over their crafts.

RNG being on the outcome, but not on the amount you can do crafts is way worse IMO. (like in PoE for most crafting methods)

With how crafting works in LE, even the most casual player will receive several tries at crafting several different items within a couple of hours playtime. You will have a lot of “failures” (items that don’t have enough desired power) during that time, but I think this is way btter than some other systems, where you can only craft one item every few dozen of playhours.

For you per haps, personally I don’t start channelling Success Baby whenever I get 1-2 crafts out of ~20 FP…

Yes & no. It’s significantly more deterministic than PoE because you can for the most part choose what affixes you craft on an item (ignoring the Rune of Chaos since the RNG nature is the entire thing), but there’s still RNG on the roll (like PoE & D3, etc) so it’s not completely deterministic.

Yeah, though you could make that feel less bad by balancing the cost of the craft.

I agree, I can’t stand PoE’s crafting, the only time I ever do anything there is bench crafting.

But you really can’t say that LE’s crafting is “almost purely deterministic”.

Great thoughts here; Very interesting point, Heavy. This is actually a really good defense of the idea of having random loot. That being this:.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.