Removing a piece of gear with +Skill Level, for the billionth time, should remove the LAST SPENT point

…and not A BUILD ENABLING NODE I SPENT 10 LEVELS AGO THAT MAKES IT SO I CANT USE MY CHARACTER RIGHT UNTIL I STRUGGLE FOR A FEW MONOS.

Sorry for yelling. A little. This is incredibly frustrating.

Edit:
So, what I did was upgrade an affix on my helm. It just so happened to be that +1 affix - pretty alright for the time being, but not as useful as another, so I was waiting till I got an affix shard of that +skill level to reroll it with a chaos. Pretty cool stuff, something I’m sure the devs want players to do, right?

Well, since it had +1 to my skill, and it removed a very important build enabling node that I spent when that skill was level 4 (it was 14) - in order to change my helmet by 1 affix, I had to remove 4 points in that skill in order to get to the accelerated XP level for it, then slowly slowly limp my way though a few low level areas until that skill leveled up enough (this took about 10-15 minutes maybe) to get that important node back. Now my skill is 3 levels behind (instead of that +1) and I am here writing this thing, pissed off at a video game, instead of enjoying myself. The end.

9 Likes

Hey there…

The devs have confirmed that this is an intentional implementation to prevent edge case abuse of the +skill feature… They already dont want you to respec skills without “re-earning” them - i.e. changing skills between battles or even potentially during a map. The +skill gear allows this if the removal was not random - especially the +3 +4 items…

See:

3 Likes

Yesterday I respecced 5 points from a skill tree (from 17), within 2 mono runs it was 1 point behind all the other skills.

Also, if it only removed 1 point, why on earth did you remove another 4? IMO, a better idea would have been to wait until the skill had levelled up the swapped the item/affix if you knew it would have removed a build enabling node (though hindsight is awesome).

1 Like

The skill respec system is silly to begin with. We can respec talents and isntantly learn new ones without the need to relevel our characters and I have no clue why it’s not the same with the skill points. It makes 0 sence why we are downgrading our skills when respecing points.
It really looks like it’s there for “f u” reasons, because one mono with experience rewards levels a skill form 10-20 about 15 times over and it’s only purpose is player annoyance.

Sorry, what was that without hyperbole?

The devs have made respeccing & relevelling skills significantly easier over the years but they don’t want us to be able to switch skills around instantly & with no cost for a variety of reasons which I’m not going to rehash here. Perhaps you might want to do some research on the many other skill respec threads.

2 Likes

Idk why you are so defencive. It’s a stupid system, that is in the game for no logical rhyme or reason. I have proved you many many times it’s a stupid system. You have said in the past “it doesn’t have to be logical”, but whatever “shrug”, sure what I know about game development.

I’m confused here.

I can’t even manufacture an exploit if it always removed points from your tree in the same order you added them in. Remembering how I spent my points in the tree isn’t really all that hard, its just an array/List of node IDs: node1, node7, node7, node9, node10, node10, etc.

Equipping a +skill item grants raw points, and as you spend them it increases the array/List.
Ex: node1, node7, node7, node9, node10, node10, node11

Now, I level more and spend my own points:
Ex: node1, node7, node7, node9, node10, node10, node11, node12, node12

Now I unequip: it should remove that last node12.
I re-equip: I can spend that point on node12 again or something else, which is identical to what happens when its random - I can put it back or move it someplace else.

What’s the exploit? That I picked node12? It could have randomly picked node12…

As far as I am aware this mechanism is to prevent you from changing skills mid stride - it is intended to prevent specific skills from being exploited… It has to be random else you could remove the gear, the game would remove the last x skill points you assigned, add the gear back and then reassign the skill points however you see fit.

on a +3 or +4 gear item for certain skills, this could allow you to change your build from multiple to single target damage or change defensively in an instant… which as, I understand it, is not how the devs want their game played… Similar reasoning for why you have to re-earn your skill xp if you change a skill they dont want players to change skills all the time.

From my understanding this is something the devs decided a while back on how they want the game played… For better or worse…

4 Likes

Does that apply to any skill other than Lightning Blast?

1 Like

Which is clearly the most arbitrary & nonsensical pointless reason for it to exist! Not wanting people to be able to exploit their game? My outrage was so strong I couldn’t even get that sentence out without typoing most of the words!!!

Pffft, a ridiculous concept, someone making a game & deciding how they want us to play it? PER-LEASE! I’m going to flounce out of here & drink some tea in disgust!

4 Likes

There are a lot of nodes that are better for clearing packs than killing bosses. Off the top of my head:

• all “on kill” effects
  • damage to full health / high health (helps you one shot trash)
  • anything that affects “stunned” or “frozen” enemies since those statuses are hard to inflict on bosses
  • increased area / additional targets
  • additional projectiles (if they don’t shotgun)
  • effects that count the number of enemies hit

You could “respec” these nodes before a boss fight by unequipping and reequipping your +skill gear and instead grab generic “more” damage nodes, extra damaging ailment chance, utility ailment chance that you might not have needed for trash like frailty, chill or slow, etc.

It makes plenty of sense. The reasoning for it and the sense it makes has been explained repeatedly by both the devs and other players who understand why on demand full power skill respecs would be completely unhealthy for the game.

You don’t like it. That’s it. That’s fine. That doesn’t mean it “makes 0 sence” or “it’s just there for ‘f u’ reasons”.

That doesn’t mean the system makes no sense. It means the volume and vehemence of your complaining is way out of proportion to the actual inconvenience of what you’re complaining about.

1 Like

Dude, you can bypass a restriction with a few minutes of gameplay that’s not even that special to begin with, which just begs the question “why is there a restriction in the first place?”.
Like people are trying to come up with some deep mind excuses of why that restriction is in place, when in reality it doesn’t even matter if it’s there or not and just makes it silly to begin with xD . The argument of:

is so stupid, when the reality is, it kind of exists by just doing a 2-5 minutes echo with an exp reward. There is no logical argument for this system restriction to exist in the first place. But I digress, purists will be purists and will tunnel vision no matter what you present to them.

Which nodes on which skills? I mean actual nodes on actual skills.

IMHO if the concern is to prevent players to change their skills mid-battle, they could add some wait time, for example, if the item gives +1 skill, then when switching item, that player should wait for 1 minute or more, if the player switch items with total +3 skill, then the wait time should be 3 minutes. This would prevent them from switching items during boss fights and speed clear, but at the same time won’t hurt players who want to try builds.

This game is still new, in fact, it’s still in beta, so it’s common that players want to try some build.
But respeccing to random nodes in the skill tree without clear information on which skill will go if I remove this +x skill item is frustrating.

Hey, welcome to the forum…

Waiting time is pretty useless… You could just go get a coffee with your char in a safe spot so whats the point of implementing something like that?

Its not about the game being beta & people wanting to try new setups/builds - I do that in released games (and I am sure others do too)…

Whatever anyone says/feels about it, the devs dont want their game to be played like this and they have said numerous times that they want player decisions to have meaning and weight throughout the game… they have implemented the normal skill “re-earning” process to prevent doing this exact thing… if they didnt implement something to counter +skill gear abuse then there would be no point… In a way I understand their decision - I dont like games that demand/require you to swap gear and skills for specific content/bosses… I prefer that the current way forces you to think about your build more permanently,… rather than ways to cheese the content by swapping skills /gear etc…

and at the end of the day,… it only takes a map or two at high levels to reskill/redesign your build… so its not as if its a real slog to make changes…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.