Preserving progress in 0.9

TBH, I don’t mind the increased time taken to reach level 100 for the most part. My only issue is with the items that require higher levels to drop. If I recall correctly, I think after level ~90, you can get any item.

It’s not a binary system. Players are always going to play in ways that aren’t necessarily “intended”, but that doesn’t mean there’s a need to actively discourage/block it. Sometimes it’s enough to just not incentivize/encourage it but otherwise let people do what they’re going to do.

And on this topic in particular, LE is working within a genre that has a lot of collective baggage about blasting through content as fast as possible being the correct way to play.

1 Like

Sure, totally agree. But if the MAJORITY of people are playing one way and you want the game to be played a different way, then I do think that should be something you’d want to address.

NOTE 1: YOU in this case means ‘Devs.’
NOTE 2: I’m not advocating for or against a certain way of play. Just that honest critique is necessary whatever end of the binary exists. and someone making the claim ‘speedrunning is not how the game is meant to be played’ one must take into account and weight, however the devs feel it should be weighted, in accordance.

We - players - don’t have any insight into what “the majority” of people are actually doing, so it doesn’t really warrant discussion or speculation. All of us here on the forums are the minority by miles. Just the fact that we’re engaging with anything outside of the game already puts us at a very different perspective from the majority, who don’t.

Certain other games have spent years caring way too much about the behaviors of vanishingly small minority of power-players, at the expense of the experience of more casual players. I prefer to advocate that EHG not make the same mistake, or at the very least not to the same degree.

1 Like

Disagree that it doesn’t warrant discussion. The Devs have their blueprint and most likely listen to everything. I fully expect them to implement things how they deem fit. This is after all, their ‘baby’. But discussion allows them to see all sorts of ideas and thoughts and without it, you never know when a gem might land.

But as I stated, it’s for them to decide.

Now “speculation” is definitely something I agree isn’t necessary. The only reason it is needed is ‘what if’ scenarios to explore an idea. But again, devs get to decide.

Okay, but you actually agree with me, because:

Because we, as players, have no insight at all into what the majority is doing, any discussion we might try to have about the majority can only be speculative.

“I (felt I needed to) play this certain way because of X, Y, and Z” - Potentially based on something real. Potentially valuable.
“The majority of players (feel they need to) play this certain way because of X, Y, and Z” - Based on nothing. No potential value.

I see. One of those. :rofl: Okay, moving on.

You don’t balance a game around people who aren’t playing as intended, like speed runners. If a speed runner complains it’s too easy you ignore it. If a super casual playing like 2 hours a week complains it takes too long, you ignore it. There is an expectation of a certain amount of investment in this genre, and that’s where you balance.

Obviously right now it’s really easy for beta, but we don’t want it to be incredibly grindy after. I hope they make that adjustment before beta is over to be honest.

1 Like

There’s a few actually! Hell, I might be one of them. But Bronco is definitely ‘one of those’ lol. However, he does do it well, so it’s not all bad lol.

1 Like

I don’t know what that’s even supposed to mean, but good talk?

Wasn’t mine intention to say you balance around speed runners. Probably unclear in my question. My intent was to suggest that if a bunch of people do it PLAYSTYLE A, if as the developers you don’t want PLAYSTYLE A to be the norm then you’d want to investigate, or change your end goal to fit more with what’s becoming the ‘norm.’

I might have been mistaken about your question as well so it might have been misread.

Either way, I’ve had my say about this topic. I personally hope they crank up the XP needed from 95-100 ( i do feel like 1-95 is currently about right) and make getting to 100 its own achievement, nothing more nothing less. If this were a steam achievement I’d like to see it ranked in the .01% of players have earned this achievement.

Everyone’s mileage may vary.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.