Post-Multiplayer Economy

What does the community see the future economy being driven by in terms of primary currency? Gold, shards, rare uniques/sets, high tier crafts? Gold is good for gambling and shattering. Some people have spent hundreds of thousands of gold trying for certain uniques while others are desperate for very specific/rare shards or already crafted item.

Will shards and runes even be tradeable? If not, then how does that affect your answer? How does the community help the devs to avoid a disaster economy? What considerations can we provide the devs (e.g., limitations or additions)?

As far as i know EHG wants to make gold a very valuable ressource in this game and to my understanding the primary one. Especially with the addition of the Bazaar feature which will use gold (if those plans are still intact)

here’s a quote from a dev

Here is also the whole post about their plans for economy in general, this post is already over 2 years old, but since there hasnt much changed or content in that regard came out i guess the plans are still the same.

I would galdy take any new information even if nothing really has changed on that matter from a dev. This is as the thread i posted state one of the most exciting things about aRPG’s, especailly when well executed.

I really like the approach they try to make on this whole subject, learnign from other games, try to improve upon and maybe even spirnkle in some new, fresh inovative ideas on this.

Selling for gold is the most meaningless thing to do. I hope they allow different “payment methods”. If I want runes of shattering for my piece of gear I should be allowed to list it for said items to trade in. Gold is pretty much useless and can be farmed wihtout end and is the least intresting thing to trade for from my point of view. Crafting mats are far more intresting already.

Nah, i don’t thing you should judge that so quickly, there is absolutly no “real” economy involed in the current state of LE, so you can’t say gold is useless.

There are plenty of systems missing. If some of those systems use gold for anything meanigful, gold will already become alot more valuable.

And as soon as the Bazaar is introduced and just gold is the payment, gold WILL become more valuable, regardless if the system works out good or not.

I don’t say that this attempt will 100% succeed, but i really hope for it.

We will have to see how all systems will work together, we don’t see the whole picture yet.

I answered a post on the Steam forums recently regarding trade in this game. It basically boiled down to this;

Trasochi, however, has made some further comments about the trading system in a very broad and general sense. Nothing really too in-depth, but if you’d like you can view that thread here;

Interestingly, that thread you’ve linked to has a nice purple tag that says it doesn’t represent their current plans on trade.

Wops, you are right^^.

I guess i was too fast with that one >.<

I just remmebered reading through that thread a long time ago. And regardless if it’s not representive, i liked the mindest of the devs regarding this topic.

It’s okay if you think gold will be valuable because I only speak for myself but there are some simple things adding in like in every other game. People with a lot of time will most likely be rich no matter what because they can grind like they will. Then there are people who play the auction house to get rich, the people you’ll hear nothing about and the mouthy bunch complaining about having no gold.
If they sell items for gold they need a maximum price for each Tx stat on the item according to min-max rolls on the base item to control economy a tiny bit. If something like that isn’t there it might take a month or two untill things go offbalance. Then again that’s only my experience after 25 years of playing games so things can go in a complete different way :).

I don’t have a problem with people that play more having more resources (gold, the rarer affixes, etc), or people that are more skillfull (& I include a good awareness of the community’s valuation of items to be able to buy things that are under-valued & sell them for a more appropriate price) having more resources.

That said, if they are still intending to have limited auction slots & it being a proper auction with bidding, I think that will ameliorate a lot of the bulls*** we see with pricing in PoE. People won’t be able to snipe rare-affix-with-a-value-of-10,000-gold-that-unaware-player-put-up-for-1-gold in a fraction of a second after it was listed because it’s not instant, there’s time for everyone else to notice it & the ensuing bidding would drive the price up to closer to the “reasonable value” (that being what someone is willing to pay for it).

If the auction house is in-game with decent search functionality then you probably wouldn’t get the third party sites that PoE has that automatically list anything that’s been put up for sale because they aren’t needed.

An in-game auction house with proper bidding gets rid of a lot of the problems that other games with trading have, though they do also come with their own problems (such as making it a lot easier to get the gear you need from playing the AH, not the game).

What does “offbalance” mean? Why should the devs set a range of prices for how valuable the community thinks any given item is? If there’s a maximum price for an item (regardless of however it’s calculated), why bother having bidding for an item that the community values at greater than that value?

GGG have effectively set a broad range of pricing for the currency by having that currency also available from vendors. I’m not sure that kind of thing would work too well in LE without the affix shards available from a vendor, or through some other method that effectively allows the player to get a particular shard another way such as being able to craft affix shard X from affix shard Y or something else that drops, that then links the price of shard X to shard Y & sets a cap. If the recipe for shard X requires 10 of shard Y then if the price of shard X goes much higher than 10x the price of shard Y then people will start buying more of Y to craft X & the prices begin to settle down again.

Actually, maybe that would be a good idea to make sure the price of affix shards does go totally nuts, allow the transmutation of the more common shards into the rarer shards, presumably with gold (which would remove gold from the economy) plus something else perhaps. It would also give us a use for those thousands of common shards that we have/will have.

And this post was a lot longer than I was expecting.

When a game gets its drop rate so bad that one has to trade, rather than kill monsters, it is time to move on. I hope the developers will strike the property balance here.

1 Like

That’s the only thing I’ll go into because you thoughts are solid ^^. Why should they do this? Simple because at some point the AH might be the main income source of everyone. If there is a price limit on items like every T5 is worth 10k so the most expesnive item is worth 40k you can calculate stuff. Sooner or later the prices will escalate because gold isn’t worth anythin anymore and all of the sudden a T5 stat is worth 1mil.
If you set a maximum price you’ll flatten the inflation because people toy arround with ingame currency and noone cares ^^. The main income of everything in a game should be obtained by playing the game and with a max price you make gold sellers life worse, keep prices in check and have a calculateable outcome. Sure there still will be people who have more gold then others but the differences will end up smaller.
Sure on the other hand an auction should be an auction and everyone should be free to bid as high as he or she wants to but the past proofed this isn’t a good thing to do because we’ll end up wit another D3 economy where gold was ment to meaningfull as well :D.

That really need to get multiplayer into the game ASAP. It’s the only thing that will really tell us about the game in general and what to expect along with how good it real is or isn’t.

Yeah, that’s a fiar point, though the price of things will depend on how muc gold there is floating around, which depends on what other gold sinks there are.

It certainly will provide us with ways to break the game much harder. :smiley:

Sooner or later, the community will create their own currency. I can’t see using gold long term because of inflation, unless there’s lots of goldsink.

I just hope it doesn’t end up like Path of Exile where trading is basically required to make an end game build and finding anything good is like winning the lottery, or like Diablo 3 back when it had trading and things sold for billions of gold. There needs to be some serious gold sinks to keep the inflation under control and I don’t think the crafting and gambling systems in their current form are going to be enough.

Gold will eventually be worthless because it has no intrinsic value and I can’t see LE having that much gold sink.

I honestly don’t want a free market trade like PoE. I’m fine with tradeable shards/glyphs/runes but not gear and idols.

Binding gear to your account on equip might be an idea, so you can only sell things you have never worn. It would keep the top tier items out of the economy so that the lesser items don’t become completely worthless.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.