Please add legendary potential to loot filter ruleset

It’s a bit of a slippery slope but we did consider having a “with Legendary Potential” option for uniques. It’s more likely but still not on the list at the moment.

2 Likes

it’s a video game man, it’s not crack. this is one of the biggest issues with the current gaming industry’s design philosophy. everything has to be about “what’s the most fun and rewarding” or “the data tells us x…” - nothing is more off-putting than devs that design their entire game based around stuff like that.

we aren’t “Just chemicals” and encouraging devs to prioritize the manipulation of neurochemistry rather than quality of life “because data” is a good way to enable video game addiction.

as much as i love this game, it reeks of this type of design philosophy. “the data suggests x would result in a less pleasurable experience than we intended and our vision for the game is y, and in order for that to exist we feel x is necessary to maintain balance” blah blah blah.

2 Likes

I’m not looking for fun. I’m looking mostly for addiction in my video games.

Sorry, have you posted this to the LE forum instead of the PoE forum by mistake?

I’m curious how you would differentiate between “the data suggests x would result in a less pleasurable experience than we intended” and the devs responding to player feedback. And why is “our vision for the game is y, and in order for that to exist we feel x is necessary to maintain balance” bad? Should the devs just ignore all feedback like they’re making a game in a vacuum? Should they pivot based on all feedback they receive? What happens when they receive conflicting feedback?

Sorry, have you posted this to the LE forum instead of the PoE forum by mistake?

nope. i would never touch POE with a 10-foot pole because of this very issue. thanks for the laugh, though.

how you would differentiate between “the data suggests x would result in a less pleasurable experience than we intended” and the devs responding to player feedback.

simple, responding to player feedback is great when it takes all variables into account and results in an overall better experience for the player, which happens quite rarely.

why is “our vision for the game is y, and in order for that to exist we feel x is necessary to maintain balance” bad?

also, very simple. it’s bad because it prioritizes the health of the game over the health of the players. ever wonder why so many games have started adding accessibility features to games when so few had them years ago? this is why. some studios and game designers have come to understand that player health is equally as important a variable as player engagement or game balance.

Should the devs just ignore all feedback like they’re making a game in a vacuum?

of course not. they should take all reasonable feedback into consideration. however, i understand that to many “gamers” making player health a priority is an attack on their addiction, and so will naturally argue against it.

Should they pivot based on all feedback they receive? What happens when they receive conflicting feedback?

this is where experience and vision are essential. many games are made by people with a lot of experience, yet lack a clear vision, and vice versa. if your game has a clear vision, does it prioritize player health? at what point are you willing to sacrifice fun and engagement to mitigate the negative impact your game is having on players?

as stated earlier, many “gamers” don’t understand the significance of this, and as such would incessantly argue against it without reason. some would ask why this is important; and to them, i would ask - why they believe seizure warnings are included in video games? is physical health more important than mental health?

2 Likes

I’ve been paying a bit more attention to which affixes, and how many tiers of useful affix, are on an item. I am still dropping all yellows below FP=x. Packratting all my exalts is expensive. So gold is in short supply and stash tab space is finite. I gamble in between every few runs and save bases until then. It’s not perfect filtering by FP>y but it’s quick and convenient. I’d still do it if I could.

I disagree with the “dopamine > QoL” design philosophy.
Even assuming i could do a perfect loot filter and i only see what i’m 100% sure i want to pick up, the excitement would just be moved to the moment when u see stuff appearing on your screen.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.