Performance overall and thoughts on the game

I know this game is in early access and there is quite a bit more of things to do before it’s released, but I just had 1 question, why does this game drop 120 frames whenever there is more than 10 actors getting damaged at 1 time? Also, the more actors getting damaged, the more frames I lose. I was running a summoner build and a boss did a multi instance damage through 8 of my summons and my frame rate went down to 5 fps, like wtf? I have a 2080ti. Optimisation this bad kinda worries me. I run every other game flawlessly. Just wondering if this was unique to me or not, thanks. I also run everything on LOW settings. And still get these frame drops in combat. Even when not running a summoner build, let’s say I’m sentinel and spinning to win through lets say 8 mobs, my frames go from buttery smooth 144 down to 40 like wtf is this ??? Anyway, won’t be touching this game till this problem goes away, other than that glaring issue - ITS AN AMAZING GAME, the skills, the choices, the bosses, the endgame, the grind, the art design all feels excellent.

I would also suggest getting some voice actors to do all the text? That’s it.

4 Likes

Welcome Back DonkeySOPH!

Optimization is an ongoing task we continue to try to make improvements to with every patch, and have really picked up the pace on to try to get things running smoother. We’ve implemented several tools to help us identify the specific causes for performance issues (often they’re the least suspected items) and this certainly has a big target on its back for us. The FPS loss that you’re experiencing is likely due to the large number of damage calculations being run for all of your minions, the targets, and any sort of ailments or other stacking effects being applied - CPU calculations rather than GPU rendering. Of course, this is again something which we are most certainly working on improving.

We are also looking to improve the campaign throughout, including more voice acting and cutscenes. Our latest addition - Chapter 9 represents some of our latest improvements to campaign feel and interaction with more personable characters, environmental layouts, and voice acting. If you haven’t gotten a chance to play through Chapter 9 - Sands of Majasa yet, I might recommend giving that chapter a visit to see the level of voice acting that will be coming to earlier chapters.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply! I am not a hater by any means. Most of your game is already IMO top tier if not better than some other arpgs that I won’t name for the sake of keeping the peace. I know how hard game design, coding and the whole she bang can be (learned Ue4 and unity for 6 years) and I don’t envy your position when it comes to arpg optimisation (tried it once, never again). I have played the chapter 9. Furthermore, I consider it really well done. The model design for your enemies is pretty sick as well, I especially like the one enemy that when you kill it the little worm/snake that comes out of it is a disgustingly fun surprise. Haven’t seen cool animations for enemies like that in arps much, kudos. I consider LE as it is right now a 7/10 if you can get optimisation, multiplayer and story in a good place, might be a game I sink, 8000 hours in and could bump it up to a 9.5 or higher. Cheers from an enthusiast Arpg Australian, that loves that you’re bringing a breath of fresh air to the table of stale arpgs. :metal: :+1:

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what’s your cpu? I have a 2070 super and don’t see those kind of fps drops, though I also don’t play minion builds.

Intel(R) Core™ i9-9900K CPU so my CPU is way more than sufficient.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s just that LE is more likely to run into issues with a slightly lacking CPU than GPU, unlike most games these days.

I’m runing the shapeshifter build (bug/spriggan swap) and the performance drop is very noticeable. I suggest that as a test case :smiley:

Generally though, the performance is pretty good and I’m running under Linux.

As an aside, I really liked the Sands of Majasa addition, I thought it was great. The majasa fight was tough, but learnable. It’s definitely one of the better boss fights in the game IMO.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.