New Player - Bugged/UI Detractors

What went wrong?
There are a few things, many depend on your definition of bug, some are more of a usability issue.

I’ve done beta testing before so hopefully you find this constructive.

There is a graphical bug with the limit FPS option in the graphical subsystem.

Duplicating the issue, In the first area with a rogue, if the limit FPS option is enabled, it has a scrunched section of the screen that is a horizontal line that moves as you move on my hardware similar to how the old interlaced TV screens had with scanning. It appears to be a line about 0.5-1 inch in width (measured vertically) scrunching the textures that travels down the screen into a horizontal line that moves with repaints from top to bottom as the engine repaints. The issue isn’t present for me when the limit FPS is de-selected (its selected by default).

Second, for a new person to the game, the items that are crafting items, its not clear or apparent that they are crafting items or that there is a separate area to store them. You end up having inventory issues instead of enjoying the game, a popup tutorial explaining or running through how the base system works would be useful.

A more sane default to putting into inventory would be to have craft items automatically moved to the craft material storage area with a popup notification saying so, and adjusting the button description to make it clear there is a craft material storage. (making these features self-discoverable). If you want to limit access to the craft bag while out farming you can do that and have that triggered by a hook upon entering a town or something like that. Depends on what you want.

Third issue, If you end up needing to respec your passives because of a mistake you made (being new) its very annoying to fix your build.

Specifically, the issue arises because you cannot unspend points if you have points invested that have a requirement that would no longer be met.

You can’t invest in points from the same screen as unspending those points. This creates a very frustrating dynamic of going back and forth between two similar but different screens to work ensure the minimal requirements are met at all times. Its very brittle, frustrating, and unnecessary. It would be better to consolidate or eliminate one of those screens and then allow an apply option once you have the skills the way you want or require a hotkey to be pressed for confirmations.

Note: The skill specializations and passive nodes as they currently work together are clunky when looking at this fresh. You have two similar (same) areas and as a new person you can’t easily make decisions because you keep mixing up the details. I’m sure this will go away as I learn the details, new people won’t have that benefit potentially making their experience harder once you hit a roadblock. There doesn’t seem to be a simple way to compare changes made in passives/skill specializations before you actually make them and try it out.

No in-game feedback/bug system
—maybe I’m not finding it?, seems like a huge low hanging fruit for on-demand pulling of needed client-side info; lots of tooling that can be developed to offload this type of time-consuming work to lower expertise allowing much more productive use of your expert level developers; its the equivalent of a ticket system for sysadmins. When set it up properly greatly decreases maintenance costs and improves productivity.

You are likely missing out on a big portion of constructive feedback because the issues were minor but non-net-zero in terms of overall gameplay experience, and the time needed for players to report it was too high. For example the screen scrunching I saw isn’t visible in any screenshots or video I recorded but it is onscreen. I’ll see about actually recording it with an external device later its one of those things that is hard to communicate.

It is useful to have facilities that can collect, aggregate, and pull information as needed so it can be acknowledged and divided with a more effective division of labor.

Minor:

• New characters should have a popup to prevent tutorial popups (keep interface clean)

• There should be a prompt to specialize for each skill. There is for the first time, you can specialize the first skill, and then the popup screen which is identical to clicking the second skill auto-specializes whatever you clicked; this isn’t expected behavior for someone coming to this new, and its error prone which detracts from the game.

Move character skill doesn’t work/is interrupted when highlighting any item (annoying).

Main Menu has Leave Game and Exit to Desktop. Its not visibly clear that Leave Game is actually Log Out to Character Selection.

Double clicking the character name at the character selection screen doesn’t log you in.

The hotkeys for options and menus are hard to discover. The 3 bar icon is so small it blends into the interface. The minimap in the upper right corner is clunky, lots of places do it and you can’t change it, I don’t use it. Its a real pleasure when you can move it accordingly. Many people find the smaller minimap at the bottom right or upper left corner is much more effective because that is where they are normally looking. Looking up and to the right to orient yourself is at odds with how many people orient, and that dissonance can flavor experience.

I’m only on day two of play so far, so hopefully this report helps you.

Hey there… Welcome to the forum…

Before I respond specifically, it looks like a lot of this (most of it?) could have been posted in the Feedback Section of the forum rather than the bug section… I’d recommend that you clip the feedback portion and create a new thread there for more general visibility of that input and perhaps some feedback from the community - quite a few things you touch on have been discussed before - some quite regularly over the years, especially when new players join every few months. There is also the option of providing feedback via Discord. The devs do read the feedback on the forum & on discord…

As to the bug regarding the FPS framerate limit - this sounds virtually identical to a form of Screen tearing that usually occurs when the GPU cannot maintain the refresh rate that the display requires or there is some sort of mismatch between sync & framerate. There are various ways to address this and its usually very specific to each persons setup. Sometimes its as simple as lowering in-game settings to allow the GPU to process frames fast enough for the monitor, sometimes its a specific v-sync/gsync/freesync configuration or even a specific monitor hardware option or gpu driver setting. By deselecting the limit, you are in effect allowing the game to try and go as fast as it can and this may match your monitor hz better than the limit and this would address the screen tearing. The limit is enabled (usually at 60fps) to improve stability in the game right now - having no limit tends to cause performance issues with LE in its current unoptimised beta state…

I have zero info on your specific hardware and its capabilities or what settings you are using in-game so I cannot provide suggestions as to what you could do, but if the game is stable without the in-game framerate limiting then you may be ok… I would suggest that you use vsync or similar instead and be aware that providing no limit at all (i.e. no in-game l,imit or vsync) could increase the likelihood of some instability in busy game moments or when loading into new maps…

From memory the “transfer to crafting stash” button kinda glows when you have shards in your inventory. There’s also the game guide and 1 popup/“quest” related to crafting in the ruined are and 1 in the imperial era (though I can’t remember what they say & are likely more about crafting items rather than the transfer button).

Specifically #2.

You aren’t, there isn’t one.

I think this is more of a common design decision, since in PoE you can’t respec a passive point from the “middle” of your tree, nor can you respec the left most passive points if they are required to “support” “higher level” points in Grim Dawn/Titan Quest. The game does tell you this in a popup but I agree its probably not as clear/smooth as it could be.

Yeah, I agree that the respeccing aspect can be improved upon significantly, perhaps right clicking would respec and left clicking place points?

What do you mean by this? If you hit tab that moves it to centre screen.

This is lots of good new player feedback, but the odd screen bug should have been posted separately & the feedback in the feedback section

Thanks for the quick response.

I’ll go ahead clip the feedback parts to the feedback forum. Should I edit the post as well to clean this up so its simpler to read or preserve it as-is?

Some places prefer to retain a history of conversations without after-the-fact edits so if there is something that needs to reexamined later the history is linear when coming back to it.
In those cases edits are more intended for correcting spelling/grammar for clarity than anything else.

I’m familiar with screen tearing when the GPU cannot keep up, and I’m fairly certain that is not the case here.

I’m running the game on the laptop I bought for heavy lifting. I do a lot of FOSS software compilation (workloads similar to LFS). I have no issues running the game in Very High by itself, but normally operate at Medium because of background workloads which are not present when observing/testing this.

I can provide the dxdiag if it would be helpful, these are the laptop specs https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Legion-300Nits-Display-Keyboard/dp/B0947VSTFQ/

The tearing is present only when the limit option is checked with the default 60fps. I think I may have actually figured out the main part of the issue while troubleshooting this. The client is running in borderless windowed mode. The default Windows 10 desktop resolution is 1920x1080, the hardware is capable of up to 4K resolution at 60FPS and I’ve replicated the issue across multiple pieces of hardware I have lying around (within warranty, FHD/4k monitors and cabling)).

It appears that the issue is with Windows 10 defaulting the refresh rate to 29.97 FPS on the external monitor, this mismatch in conjunction with the limit FPS option set to 60FPS is causing the tearing. Unchecking the limit option, and having vsync off corrects the issue in its entirety, as does manually changing the refresh rate on the monitor in Settings to 60hz.

I had also noticed significant blurring of the fonts of dropped items while moving (when repainting is happening) and on-screen floating damage not properly rendering (the damage being done was significantly higher than what was being displayed yesterday).

Those last observations may be completely unrelated to this issue but I’ll test it now that I’ve corrected the default refresh rate and see if those issues persist.

I’ll go ahead and fix that and clip/paste it over to the feedback section.

What I mean by the dissonance, you may or may not be aware that we have involuntary responses when we do certain things.

For example, many people when remembering something unconsciously will look either up and to the left or up and to the right, and when we are imaging something its different.

Depending on the individual there can be dissonance with those involuntary responses when trying to orient (i.e. when its opposite, for example like you look up and to the right when you imagine something, and left to recall).

The overlay in the center works ok, but its a fine point getting it to the right balance where the background overlay doesn’t drown out the foreground; you don’t want the client to be too busy which is what I really appreciated about the initial interface.

I think this issue and color blindness are the two things most dev’s don’t have much exposure to. Fun-fact, something like 10% of the world population is red-green colorblind.

It didn’t look like the customization was there for the overaly to get to that fine point (i.e. you can move the overlay map to find things that you’ve explored, but you can’t zoom out, in, or re-anchor it at your character easily and using the overlay toggle to reset the position isn’t expected when you want to disable the overlay quickly).

The best way I’ve seen those overlay maps done to keep things separate and clean is where they fade out significantly when there is a significant threat, that’s very technically hard to get right though.

I’ll be moving most of this over to the feedback forum so it has the appropriate visibility. Thanks for the response.

It does still sound like some sort of tearing due to refresh and framerate mismatches…

There are quite a few reports of this but each situation is very specific to the hardware and settings involved… Your findings are pretty much what others have figured but there doesnt seem to be a silver bullet for every configuration so its very hard to know exactly what the problem is and obviously what the solution could be for each user… Sometimes its as simple as changing a window mode, sometimes its fiddling with monitor settings, sometimes using driver override level configs… In one arb case, it even involved adjusting the fps ratelimit in game a few fps and the problem resolved - but this made no difference for others… Sometimes a simple driver update can help resolve the issue… Laptops, external monitors/multiple monitors all seem to add their own level of quirk to the issue… More complex issues happen with gsync and monitors with dynamic framerate / Hz capabilities…

I dont recommend running higher than Medium on your hardware - irrespective of any background workload. LE is generally unoptimised and has performance related issues which include instability & sometimes graphical anomolies… Until 0.9 launches (the first patch that the devs have specifically targetted performance), its best to remain conservative wrt to settings.

I use two monitors and dont experience a 29.97fps on the secondary monitor (i.e. the one not playing LE) … This is an interesting observation … The game engine (Unity) does have a config to set the game to max at 30fps when in background mode, but this shouldnt affect Windows on a secondary monitor… This makes me wonder if there is some sort of underlying configuration on the laptop / GPU that is overriding something depending on what is in the foreground etc… Laptops always have some sort of special sauce involved so its impossible to know exactly what its doing.

You may also want to see what the iGPU built into the CPU is doing - LE does not like it when devices juggle between iGPUs and discreet GPUs while playing - this could be involved - sometimes laptop users need to specifically tell windows or the driver to ONLY run LE on the discreet GPU…

Screen blurring … this has been reported before… Assuming native monitor resolutions in all cases & no screen scaling. If I recall correctly it seems to be related to antialiasing settings in relation to overall quality settings (ie. the combination is the trick) … You may want to fiddle with those settings to see how this affects it - try disabling AA entirely to see what happens (side note: I dont recommend AA from a performance perspective right now)… It is interesting that you mention the text tho… most people have reported it as a general blurring around the playing not specificially limited to text as your description…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.