New Druid forms are incredibly underwhelming?

There is still class identity to consider. Primalist theme and core elements are physical, lightning and cold. He has a splash of fire, just like rogues core elements are fire, physical and poison but she has a splash of cold.

The reason you are not getting fire support is because fire support is supposed to be a puzzle piece you need to figure out, baldurs wrath if it was a lightning or physical item would be 100x better then it already is, its literally only kept in check by it being fire which makes it off elemental for primalist.

At this point its not about what builds is better more that fire is supposed to be a red headed step child for primalist.

2 Likes

I get that, I am not a LE noob. What I am meaning is

why should this even be considered “good design”. My intent by bringing this up is to address a severe weakness with skill tree diversity based on silo or tunnel vision setups that not everyone wants to play.

This creates character identity and offers interesting build pieces.

You 100% can make and play a fire primalist, you just have to work harder to reach that goal, if every character can do everything, you get into even more tunnel vision where if primalist and rogue can both do melee fire, you just pick whichever one is better.

The fire primalist route exists to give build crafters something to tinker with other then the cookie cutter builds. Fire primalist is a puzzle to be solved thats all.

I am playing a druid, not a primalist base class. Why should any class be limited to a specific damage type? character identity is also being something that is not considered a cookie cutter mold of all the others.

Because it makes them easier to balance and grouped in their theme?

You can disagree with it, but this is pretty much how every single arpg works outside of path of exile, but even in path of exile the most free form game, playing an ignite deadeye is gonna be really hard to pull off because your not playing the class with the correct identity and location.

if the devs try and provide equal support to all damage types, then damage type no longer matters and everything might as well be adaptive which sorta defeats the point now doesnt it?

1 Like

We will just agree to disagree since you refuse to answer the basic questions I put forth. I have industry experience. Who is the one to determine the role, if I want to build an ‘ignite deadeye’ in PoE which I probably could, since I have played that game since alpha. PoE has a longer time and greater content from which to build. PoE has a greater amount of ways to achieve that goal. Are either of those builds world beaters, no, yet for me the fun is the challenge of succeeding in accomplishing something others have not or give up on doing. You have no right to tell me what is fun or how to play. My suggestion is to offer open support, there is usually one branch of a tree that is under used. Just like PoE Ninja shows no one ever uses “X” skill, if it is not used, then remove it.

Do you have a planner? I really like the idea but never really saw much payoff for it.

Actually you said this:

Then respond with

Because Primalists are based around Cold/Physical/Lightning, they shouldnt even HAVE a fire a skill.
Also you lured me into this conversation with outright incorrect opinions stating Spriggan and Fury Leap is better than Warcry Maelstrom which it isnt

So because on poeninja which only has 98-100 if a skill isnt represented there it should be deleted? There was 2 Static Strike Occultists in Poeninja when I stopped playing Scourge. Now there is 7 with a 0.3% play rate

Should this skill just be deleted because you say so?

Builds - Scourge - poe.ninja - im at the top =)

You are agreeing with what I am saying, and just are not realizing it. I promote these styles of builds, who really would think to use Static Strike with Occultist. What I am meaning that should be deleted is the ability to do a damage type outside of the archetype that LE is putting forth. The avoids for a primalist to me are void and necro, which are both anti-life. Even after a fire life blooms again.

When I mentioned warcry I stated no elemental or damage type, just warcry on its own. Again like I have said numerous times, fire is a part of nature. Heck even in the opening animation of the primalist creation he seen enraging a campfire to shoot higher flames. Give me a break.

I’m still leveling this guy, but it’s been a blast since early 30s when EQ and Maul became heavier lightning based.

The plan is to switch to a staff as most of the damage comes from both Lightning Melee Maul / Swipe and Lightning Spell Earthquake.

Primal Shifter and Tiger Spirit will be incorporated since I’m switching between the 2 forms consistently. Relentless Thunder makes Swipe strong due to constant transforming too.

Class identity/theme, as has been said before.

I dont want to squabble over nothing, so ill apologise and move on

My comment was simply pointing out the obscure interaction of spamming Warcry off cooldown to generate stacks of Maelstrom plus Swiping generally for me seems to be the best way to play Bear which with all the videos released ie spamming Maul off CD and running in circles imo isnt the best at all and is actually quite gear intensive whereas Bearstrom needs nothing but a Avarice glove to get started

Regarding the initial topic - yes Druid is underwhelming. Rogue in comparison is broken damage wise but Druid has high defence and recovery so he may kill bosses slower but risk of death is reduced heavily which is a trade off ive always been ok with

This is a quick 2 monolith run of my Bear, I was wrong earlier writing lvl 90 /150 but I am 89/138 corruption so not as high but there isnt much difference there, at 220+ it starts getting rough so ill see as I need a monolith pusher but cant find a new character for it

Video

Build

edit: I cant seem to be able to upload videos inside posts anymore

Need a well rolled Dragon Staff to get +1 Maelstrom to get the last damage node and Cold res shred Blessing but im not sure how worth it is

This build should be able to get to 280 corruption after that it might not be fun anymore to play

It’s not even a matter of “we’re just going to tunnel people into a specific vision.” It’s that you can only use so many skill nodes, equipment slots, and passive node interactions, and to create this open sandbox where you can expect any reasonable amount of success with any damage type and any skill will make these trees so massive and convoluted that you end up with PoE’s gigantic tree. Like it or not, the UI of a game does matter, and creating a whole bunch of “noob traps” will just get people to give up and wait for the ultra-streamers to tell them exactly what to build.

We’re already seeing it here, where people are asking for complete build guides barely a week after a huge overhaul. No matter how you slice it, there’s always going to be an optimal way to build around a skill, since the passive nodes + Uniques are more weighted towards one than another. To not do that would require a ton of generic multipliers, which would be more of a turn off as people want to build around the Uniques that are already here (such as the Cold Werebear form with the Polar Bear appearance).

My Werebear Druid has not reached Empowered Monos yet, so I can’t comment on that. I’m going for full Crit multiplier Swipe + Maul + Upheaval, since Primalist is one of the classes that can wear the Soloron’s Step and not be too hurt by the -75% Physical Resistance. It uses Swipe to stack the Aspect of the Panther buffs so you can use multiple Crit Mauls. Getting 100% Crit Chance and 600-700% Crit multiplier is super interesting to me, and I’ll see if it’s a matter of numbers tuning for something like Starfish Upheaval or if the entire concept is a simply obsolete option compared to Earthquake.

1 Like

This statement is the exact premise of KioroDjirane’s correct post.

This was what fired me off. It was a great post exposing exactly what opportunity is being missed. It is a limitation that is put on choice when a portion of the warcry tree is almost useless. How many of us use the fear and taunt portions of the warcry tree? Those could be reworked.

Transforming between the two forms, Spriggan and Swarmblade, produces something very interesting, 25 to 35 locusts, 12 vines + 6 vines(with summonning Spriggan), with a talent tree and chest armor, follower hits that cause bleeding and poisoning for unusual single aliment damage - usually stacks up to 100 stacks or more

Expertise Locust Swarm duration, damage. Gain +60% damage per locust and 50% damage increase per stack by removing bleed stacks (while these two nodes do take effect, I honestly don’t think it takes effect literally and correctly , remove 50 bleed not give 50*50%=2500% damage) for an aoe that kills the majority mobs in 1 second, has a range of half the screen, and lasts 8 seconds

But the sense of speed experience is sucks…

Yeah so far I’ve been trying werebear and the amount of damage i do is less in transformed than when i stay in human and use upheaval. I tried using the maul uses upheaval but its not nearly as strong as just staying human and spamming upheaval.

It seems like the good old Lich outperforms the new shiney Werebear by a lot. Makes me sad but it seems like Lich is the way to go if you are into Shapeshifting… at least i can use the skills I want to this way.

That’s currently bugged.

Kinda off topic but I’m doing the same with swarmblade(focusing on serpentstrike). I’ve tried Trident(decent rolled one lasted me all the way till empowered), Doom star + Katana, Deicide lance, Mace + Undisputed. Which combo do you think to be best for weapon ? (I’m finding mace + undisp best for now)

You can still cry about not having Fire synergy in a skill that doesn’t have any link to Fire, maybe the Dev will change that for you - and some others who maybe wanted that also. And even if Taunt and Fear don’t get pick that much, they fit the ‘Warcry’ theme and can have maybe some use in the future (in Multiplayer for exemple).