Multiplayer Invitational Follow-up

Hello Travelers!

This past weekend we held our first of multiple multiplayer events, the “Invitational”, which went exceptionally well. The aim of this event was to gather feedback, test our live operations procedures, and give the community their first full look at playing together with friends in Last Epoch. We were able to capture a ton of significant data and feedback to help us prepare for the multiplayer release coming with Last Epoch: Convergence on March 9th.

From what we observed, many of the participants thoroughly enjoyed the new and updated campaign zones, all the VFX, SFX, and music changes, which was fantastic to hear. We also received a lot of positive feedback regarding the ease of grouping up, and generally feeling great playing together for hours on end, outside of a few minor bugs (we’re on them!). Some issues that we are aware of and have been actively working on did rear their heads during this event, such as server-side performance in end-game activities and specific late-game team strategies that were providing too great of a bonus for groups. While we were aware of these kinds of things, from the event, we were able to get a better view of where these impacts are coming from, have made some adjustments to our priorities, and have already made some changes for the next events.

We want to go over some of this feedback and what kind of differences you can see between the Invitational event, future events, and Patch 0.9.

What we’re working on

Server-side performance

One of the last things we saw during the event, but one of the first we want to address, is some late-game activities server-side performance. While participants agreed that client-side performance has improved significantly with this release, we did encounter some issues with server performance for endgame builds that can spawn a lot of objects. As mentioned, this was something we were already aware of and actively working on for 0.9. However, the event was able to show us a few specific things that were leading to more performance loss than others.

One of the largest offenders we were able to identify was server lag encountered when groups would split up within an area to individually tackle different parts of the zone. This caused a number of issues, including many actors to all be activated at once, and the server needed to handle that data flow for each player. We’re already well along on a fix for this which should greatly help reduce that performance hit, and while it won’t be in place for Thursday’s event, it will be in place shortly after. There are other hidden things we’re working on (like excessive server logging); however, we think this was one of the more visible issues, and so wanted to make sure we’re addressing it here.

Another offender we saw with ‘lag’, was actually not performance at all. We found some participants who were experiencing lag were actually being assigned to incorrect server locations, such as European players being issued North American servers. This is something we immediately began investigating, and have some changes in place to help address incorrect server allocations which should help with many of these scenarios. In conjunction with the added ability to see server region with the latency tooltip, we expect this to help improve the experience when partying with various players, as well as being able to recognize reasoning for certain ping values.

Gameplay

Of course, there was a lot of gameplay experience feedback provided that we’re acting on as well. For the next event, we’re prioritizing some of the quickest improvements we can get in in time. Some adjustments are technically smaller things, like adjusting the latency bar to represent expectations with ping values better, and adding server information to the latency tooltip, however, this can have a much larger impact on user experience and received more feedback than we expected. As such, we’re working on adding these two items for the event this Thursday.

One of the more common areas of feedback we received during the event was that the campaign was made a bit too easy when in a full party. In response to this, we’re going to be bumping up enemy health scaling for the next event. We’re doing this in smaller increments, so we don’t over-correct, as many of these players are highly experienced players, but we’ll be continuing to monitor feedback on this and adjusting as well.

We also heard from participants that they really enjoyed the new online monolith experience with seamless transitions between Echoes and Echo of a World (the rest area in monoliths). For the campaign, though, the length of some loading screen times was a common topic. We have some adjustments already in the pipe to help reduce these loading screen times, which we’re hoping to have in for this Thursday’s 10k event.

Itemization

Another common topic of feedback was item gifting and the user experience of it. While feedback noted that the interaction felt really good with gifting, and it was a strong addition to gameplay, currently, once you gift an item to a party member, that item can’t be gifted again. Being unable to gift it further caused a couple of negative experiences during the event, so in response, we’re changing this so that when an item is gifted, it retains its ‘giftability’ status and can still be gifted to all the same people who were eligible for it. While this does offer a bit more power to the gifting system, we want to prioritize a fun experience.

Many keen-eyed community members also called out that there seemed to be something up with item drop rates during the event, and that some things appeared a little more common than normal. They’re correct! In response to feedback from both previous blog posts, and event feedback, we’re adjusting some drop rates. In particular, this means making ‘rarer’ idols such as Smite on Throwing Hit not as rare, culling some of the lower level drops - converting them into crafting material drops, and adjusting the distribution of exalted items to make drops more exciting rather than all the focus being on echo reward nodes. We’re continuing to tweak this to reach an even better state in the looting and gearing experience in Last Epoch, and are actively watching feedback on this topic.

We also see the efficiency of boss farming in multiplayer talked about frequently. We currently have an active plan to bring this in line that we’re working on implementing. When you participate in a monolith boss fight in multiplayer, in order to get rewards you will need to have sufficient stability for the fight, and receiving rewards from the fight will cost your stability. So while you can participate in any boss fight, in order to get rewards you need to have, and spend the stability for it. This means you won’t be able to farm stability once as a group, then chain bosses with each party member. While this change won’t be in place for Thursday’s event, we wanted to acknowledge that we do hear this feedback, and are actively working on it!

Onward to 0.9!

There are, of course, many other things we’re continuing to work on, and with our next pre-patch event in only a few days, we’re hard at work on getting everything ready for this Thursday’s 10k Multiplayer Beta week-long event. We’re really excited to get everyone in the community into the experience, as well as the big Pack the Server party, where we’ll ask everyone to help us break things on Saturday. There’s a lot to see and explore with 0.9, including many new unique items, base item changes, updates and adjustments to almost every skill in the game, new zones, VFX, SFX, Enemies, and a whole bunch more. Even if you’re not a big ‘multiplayer’ enthusiast, there’s still a lot to see and check out in this patch.

If you haven’t yet had an opportunity to sign up for the 10k event, you can quickly and easily do so here: https://events.lastepoch.com/packtheserverparty. We hope to see all of you in Eterra in just a couple of days.

Until then Travelers, may the bees be with you!

17 Likes

:smiley:

Excited for Thursday!

1 Like

I have no idea what you’re talking about. I don’t see that in the post :wink: haha. See you then!

5 Likes

I like it.

This might have the same effect as the “bonus stability” addition; It was meant to reward clearing instead of just going fast, but people still focused on going fast with builds that aoe clear, pushing players into fast builds with aoe, that resulted in rewarding speed and accelerating the process as a whole.

My suspicion is that players will still focus on echo reward nodes and, on top of it, will also get showered by random exalted drops. You will be in full exalted gear before empowered monos, making rare gear and early gearing even more irrelevant that it currently is while making players even stronger while dealing with easy content.

Don’t get me wrong, its a good start and idea, but atm its power creeping to oblivion haha IMO, exalted items need to be more linked to empowered and corruption, people should get excited to see them (especially early on) and there should be deep endgame ways to target better what the player needs.

7 Likes

This is a buff (& a good thing).

You might want to re-word that a bit as it’s apparently a bit confusing (I assume I’ve got it right).

1 Like

What did you find confusing about it? Summary to see if you got it right:

• For the last test only the person who activated the boss fight was charged stability, but everyone got rewards
  • This meant in a 4 man group if they all had stability they could do it four times in a row before everyone had spent their stability
  • In the future boss fights will cost stability for everyone who has enough and they will all get rewards
  • Anyone who doesn’t have enough stability can fight the boss but will not get rewards.
3 Likes

How? Seems like you’d need either some extreme luck or to just use exalted items that aren’t directly beneficial. Maybe if 4 players funneled exalted items to one player while all on the same class? Maybe?

Very good news ! :smiley:

I am very hyped to participate to such a massive event !!

1 Like

I agree with empowered, but I think corruption needs a rethink.

Corruption currently offers a very weird design space from player perspective I find.

if you tie certain drops to it, then suddenly everyone just plays whatever builds get you the deepest and we have a problem of “what your build can only do 300? it deserves to get no items”

I think it would be okay to wait till empowered to drop exalted items, but Im not sure tying anything to corruption value is good, if someone at 300 gets X items per hour, and someone at 600 gets 2X items per hours, then I think all is fine, we really just shouldnt restrict items to corruption value.(outside of very niche chase items like omni, I think thats okay where its at.)

Currently people seem to focus a lot on corruption as a mechanic as a means to get better loot, which it does do, but I think focusing on it as the core end game loot scaling factor is the wrong way to tackle it.

I will also say, I think dropping more uniques, is probably a good thing. people seem to mostly be concerned about the time it takes to get build defining items. But I think its a bit weird to drop more exalted/rares. I feel like exalted and rare progression was in a good place, if not a bit too easy to just go to empowered. Id like there to at some point be a discussion about what the heck is even the point of normal monos.

2 Likes

I didn’t, the person on the discord link did. But your breakdown was quite a bit clearer.

1 Like

In our play group we had one with all exalts by empowered (or very shortly after) and I think I was unique and exalts in all but two slots. We did gift a few exalts but it wasn’t funneling, just “this item seems good for you so I’ll gift it”. If the upcoming change makes it even easier to drop exalts then parties are definitely gonna be running around in full exalts pretty quickly.

3 Likes

We got showered by items during the event and we didn’t even try tbh…

Obviously not all the exalted where BIS, but they were so much better than any rare you would normally get by that point, specially looking back at when the game had no exalted at all.

2 Likes

That’s pretty wild. My groups didn’t get anywhere near that many over the weekend. I think I had at least one exalted item by empowered, but that’s it

I like the intention behind this, but i dont think this will achive what youre aiming at.

I think making drops inside the echoes better would help to aliviate things like rushing to complete the quest and get the reward chest being the best way to gear up, but the problem with this way is that just by increasing the chances to get better loot means you end up rewarding both the player who is taking his time in the echo and the player who just rushes through it, as both of them will end up with better gear.

My ideal would be things like optional quests or other stuff in general to do inside the echo that would give you more loot, so more incentive to explore.

A way to instigate the player to kill the mobs inside a monolith could be something like give specific increases to drop chance instead of rarity with each echo. For example instead of “Enemies have a chance do dodge” but " % Increase rarity of items dropped" for 3 to 6 echoes, it could be “Rare enemies have more damage until approached” but “Rare enemies have a higher chance to drop exalteds” for that specific echo or for some echoes after that aswell, like its already done with dungeon modifiers.
I think this would instigate the player to play not only for the chest reward at the end, but for the higher chance to get drops from mobs inside the echo itself.

This could also be a opportunity to address the “issue” some players have with modfiers in monoliths being the main way to increase your drop rates instead of corruption. With that you could increase the rarity and difficulty given by increasing corruption, and make it the way to increase drop rates as a reward of playing higher difficulties.

Not to extend myself even more, but i also think annoying modifiers like “enemies have a chance to dodge” or “Rare enemies are deadly (for whatever reason)” could be given only when you try to push corruption further, as a price to pay when you kill orobys for example.

Sorry for the long text, loving what i’m seeing in the new patch so far and loving to see you addressed almost all issues people had in it. Thank you guys for your hard work!

Cant i singup for multi beta on the main client or its only for steam users

Only for steam, but you can link your steam account with your EHG/LE account and download it on steam.

1 Like

It was cheaper on steam29$ but i bought the game on the latsepoch web page 35$ cuz i thought it helps the developer more

Sorry if the question seems dumb, but I dont want to open a different thread, so I’m asking here: do we receive a password / access code for the internal testing?
Thanks.

tried to register and need steam account …

if we bought the standalone we can’t do anything ?