Minion AI needs some serious improvement

I’ve been playing necro for a while and im abit disapointed at how unresponsive the skeletons are, both at hitting enemies and responding to the attack command.

Most of the time it seems the skeletons just follow me around and not doing anything when approaching enemies, and melee skeletons like rogues always get stuck in an animation.

Lagon is completely not doable with melee rogue skeletons - they simply do not attack for whatever the reason. The build is basically broken and unusable because this boss just bugs it out.

I really wish it was as responsive as in Grim Dawn where you can set pet’s aggression level, pets seeks out enemies frequently, collisions are reduced or none so they dont get stuck and A click pet attack command make them search the area to aggressively attack enemies.

1 Like

Yes, they need to be much more aggressive and have bigger lashing when engaging mobs. Right now they usually lag behind my character and I’m the one doing the killing while they wander aimlessly around me. Hitting A does help a bit but they are to slow to respond.

Perhaps adding some talents in skill tree that copies PoE minion frenzy and meatshield behaviour, make them either super aggro or very defensive.

GD control is absolutely fantastic although they do allow minions to teleport to players instantly if they stray too far, which i think its fine since minion AI will always be limited, and this feature prevents your minion just wondering around doing nothing.

And i find minions in GD are incredibly aggressive which imo is a good thing because they always open with their volley no matter where i am. They also reposition immediately if they got stuck/their projectiles wont go through. The minion attack button has instant response and if i put in the effort i can even use it to let them dodge aoes.

Minions definitely need some love. I think this recent quote from Sarno is relevant to the discussion:

Stance isnt enough really, here there are some fundamental things that are wonky with minion, especially when you have a few skeletons and they just decides to follow you around for some reason.

Their AI is also extremely inconsistent, in the same map i have one guy chase off yonders on the other side of the map while the rest of my guy just follow me around and wont do anything until i stop moving for a second - which is incredibly dangerous for me to do on some maps.

The minion attack button also has this weird delay where they have to gather into one spot for some reason even if they are ranged skeletons, this some times drag them into big aoes to be oliterated for reasons. Other games the minion attack is more like A click ground in rts where they search a target which imho is way more responsive.

1 Like

Not saying it’s enough, but setting aggression level in GD was mentioned, so I wanted to bring some relevant information into the fold.

1 Like

The minion behaviour got worse imho. I don’t know if there were some changes recently. But minions following the player when they should attack or not executing the attack command is new to me. I

I’ve had a necro break for a few weeks but played some yesterday. I noticed this immediately and was confused.

Before minions could get lost when they chased enemies a long way away from the player. Maybe the devs have adjusted the behaviour so the minions will follow the player.

But the way it is implemented currently has a huge drawback. I lose a lot of DPS because my minions stop attacking and follow my movement in cases they should not.

I had a Lagon fight I just could not complete because I couldn’t get my minions to attack Lagon or the tentacles of phase 2. Everytime I dodge his attacks or any aoe effects, my minions ran after me. The attack command doesn’t help at all, because currently it only works if your minions are idle. So if you run and your minions follow you, they will not accept your attack command until they reached their destination next to you. And if you move again, the follow instructions will overwrite the attack command.

Don’t know if this is an AI bug or just an adjustment that went wrong.

@Hackaloken Is this a known issue?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.