Making a case for not attempting to run games at max settings

Yup. That’s why I always cap my fps according to my monitors refresh rate with software sperate from any individual game. I won’t claim that I foresaw this and did it as a preventative measure, but it sure gave me another reason as to why it’s a good idea.

1 Like

:wink: I do this too - especially with new games I install that are potentially graphically intense.

The thing I find very amusing is how so many people dont realise that the physical refresh limitation of their monitor is as fast as they practically can “see” the frames the game processes… 60hz monitor can only physically display 60fps…

Sure there are situations where getting the game to run at higher fps gives you a competitive advantage (even with a slower monitor) by allowing the game to process frames well ahead of your display, but even then, there really isnt much point in pushing 300fps with a 60hz monitor… even 120fps on 60hz monitor is more than enough… in this scenario the game would process 2fps for every 1fps the monitor can actually display and you can actually see and react to…

2 Likes

And the type of advantage you mentioned it’s really only something important at competitive level fps play, so it’s got virtually no benefit excepting a specific niche. Cheers!

But it would be silky smooth.

Well… maybe… but screen tearing tends to happen on cheaper monitors when you do this… hence the purpose of vsync (when it works properly) to try and keep things “in-sync” so to speak…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.