Mage, Static - "Unstable" "Unlimited Power" Node Charge Cost Bug

The “Unstable” node reads

• “You Zap more enemies each time it is cast but zap expends more charges.”

The “Unlimited Power” node reads:

• “The Overload node now casts Lightning Blast instead of Zap. Overload expends additional charges equal to 5 plus Lightning Blast’s mana cost and also consumes mana equal to Lightning Blast’s mana cost”.

First, “Unstable” actually causes additional hit targets to consume added charges. So by default, with no discount, a zap costs 10 charges against a single target. With one node in unstable (40% + 1 additional target) zap now costs 14 charges against a single target and 28 charges against two targets. If someone happened to take all 4/4 unstable it would take 30 charges against a single target or 150 charges against five targets. I presume it is a bug that the expense is happening PER TARGET rather than just per cast. Otherwise no one would ever want to take Unstable especially more than about 1/4 point. The per target modification makes it a downgrade to spend points here against a single target and absolutely drain all your charges against multiple targets - it’s a really bad node if this is a intended mechanic.

The second bug appears to be either a wording error on unlimited power or a bug. Unlimited power still expends charges equal to the normal zap cost AND what is listed on the description. Therefore it will have 5 more base charge cost (10 base - 5 discount that you have to take to path to it). A 0 mana lightning blast will expend 10 charges. It implies “additional” so this might be an intended mechanic… but that brings me to the last bug:

If you take both nodes (40% cost+added targets AND lightning blast) you get NO BENEFIT but it will cause a 40% increase in the entire cost of the lightning blast, not just the zap cost. By default one node in each will make a 0 mana lightning blast take 14 charges ((10 base - 5 discount + 5 unlimited)*1.4). Either unstable should cause multiple lightning blasts + cost increase, or say that it isn’t compatible. (Edit: Not bugged)

You can see “Overload” as follow: X charge cost per cast per target
We will investigate if we need to change anything regarding that mechanic

It seem the ability description isn’t accurate indeed.
Overload cast the ability “Zap” at the cost of 10 charges. Zap itself cost 0 charge, it is the Overload ability that cost charges to activate.
Description does need to be corrected. Thank you for noticing this issue

Either unstable should cause multiple lightning blasts + cost increase, or say that it isn’t compatible.

If you can provide a short clip of what you see, it would help greatly. Testing did not show the issue you are describing. I’ve tested with a cold conversion and was able to see multiple casts of “Cold” blast.

Important note:
In the future, please create an individual post per bug. It is much easier for us to track and investigate.

I went and recorded it and when I watched the recording it is causing multiple hits (and charge increase). Disregard that portion. They do work together.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.