Looking for builds that won't kill my FPS in combat

Hey all , I love LE and I am looking for more fun builds to try! I don’t have the best PC and recently, I tried a Primalist build that used maelstrom tornado and ice thorns and this combination of skills just killed my fps. I would get like 25-30fps while in combat. On the other hand , some builds are completely fine. I tried a few rogue builds and I mostly stayed in the 50-60fps range.

So basically , if any of you have a bad pc and found that some build are better for fps , I would love to know which ones :slight_smile: Thanks!

My laptop with intel graphics/HDD averages 10-15 FPS. That’s usually enough for me to stay alive. I don’t bother keeping track unless a build is literally <5 FPS all the time, which has not happened yet. I also usually stop at wave 50 in Arena because enemy mob density affects my FPS more than any build I’ve tried:

• Skeleton archers (story only) - laggy until I took reduced skeleton node
  • Synchronize Strike/Shadow Cascade (level 70s) - no lag
  • Death Seal/Reaper form (level 60s) - laggy but Death Seal takes the wheel
  • Swipe, Vengeance, Rive, Warpath (story/testing only) - no lag
  • Puncture/Hail of Arrows (level 60s) - no lag from Hail of Arrows

I don’t mind lower FPS if it’s balanced out by more autopiloting. Actually dying is the only dealbreaker for me . That said, I’d still be scared to try a build like this:

2 Likes

I just leveled a Shield Throw Paladin, I think I did not have FPS issues with him. He did all timelines up to 75 with no issue, you may try it.

1 Like

You dont provide any real detail on what kind of a potato you are using or what settings you have active so I’ll provide some some general advice here:

1. LE is CPU & GPU intensive right now… i.e. its not just the graphics that nail it… so try not to do anything else on your system while playing…

2. In-game settings - drop everything to very low or disabled. I personally value smooth gameplay over visuals especially when LE can splash the screen full of skill effects very easily. Settings above Medium are fps killers if you dont have new hardware and can get pretty significant at higher resolutions. I’ll wait for the full release to appreciate the eye-candy…

3. Be sure to set a framerate limit - this seems counter intuitive when you are trying for the best fps you can get but this setting prevents LE from running away with your GPU and most people find that it mitigates the bigger lag spikes to some degree while keeping your GPU cooler. Start out with whatever your monitor can handle and drop it if you need to.

4. Stay away from builds with lots of minions - these can get very laggy proportional to the number of minions and number of mobs being targettted.

5. Full screen skill multiple chaining proc builds tend to get a little bumpy… E.g. filling the screen with devouring orbs which each proc more and more purply fuzziness… Lots of examples of these, and they are damn fun to play but they can lag big time if you are not careful…

6. Big pull & mob wipes can spike lag tremendously… Speed running while luring all those juicy enemies into range so that you can nuke them with one shot - while glorious - is not advisable on older pcs… Change your play style a little and you can even play the more laggy builds… I.e. bite of smaller groups of mobs at a time…

Obviously when 0.8.2 lands with more performance updates, some of this might change but its good for now…

The reason I didnt provide any info is pretty simple, I am not looking for a fix. I talked with LE support and probably read every single reddit and forum post on optimization/get better fps. I am not looking for a fix anymore. I know I dont have the best PC and I know they are working on optimization every patch. That being said , thank you for trying to help me.

This post is not about getting better fps , or complaining about my fps. I just want to make sure that I don’t level a build all the way to endgame only to realize that the build itself is bad for my FPS. Like I said , some build are worst than others for me so I am just looking for the ones that are not as bad.

Thanks for all the information here. Good to know that Skeleton archers are not that bad with the reduced skeleton node , I always tried to stay away from minion builds thinking they would literally kill my pc haha! Might also try hail of arrows or some sentinel build.

And yeah this 200 minion build is soooo scary :joy:

BTW respect for playing with 10/15 fps

1 Like

it wouldnt matter if you had the best of everything PC, LE is poorly optimised, nothing will change until they optimise the game, its really that simple.

Wait for the shit show that will be MP, you will be glad of 5FPS :joy:

2 Likes

Basically I’d say don’t take a minions build, don’t take a huge AoE build and don’t take a “good-looking” build. I recommended Shield Throw, but forget about it because of all Smites proc’ed by the hits. Maybe focus on a high crit chance melee build.

1 Like

Sure… I get it… Just providing advice in a general way for you (or anyone else that may be interested)…

The reason I didnt provide “specific” builds and stayed very general in my suggestion is that 1) the fun of the game is experiencing it for yourself with all its foibles, 2) I dont believe in handholding and 3) everyone likes different styles of play that can affect performance in some way and most people have different thresholds for what they consider acceptable for play - personally I would not play LE at all if my 6 year old system could only manage 25fps - but thats me.

Unfortunately you are probably right… Thankfully its not as bad as some - or we would all have jumped ship already… :wink:

Some of us have stepped back, myself for one, not played since end of March Start of April, i will check out the new patch of course, but will probably be off again, 2 or 3 weeks later.

There was a windows update that was corrected a couple of weeks back that screwed with FPS of games, wether LE was one i dont know, as ive not been on to check, however other games FPS have increased.

So if your one who never does windows updates, you may want to check that one out.
Information here Windows Update Fix for framerates

Thanks for posting this one… Personally didnt experience the issue but its always good to have things to try and help out those having issues…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.