Locust Swarm synergy with the Swarmblade Form's Frost Bites passive

Hello !

[Primalist] The passive point Frost Bites is supposed to convert Physical to Cold and Cold bonus should apply to Locust Swarm but it still has the Physical tag and no Cold tag, it’s probably a bug you should look into. Not sure if it’s the tooltip on Locust Swarm not updating or the convertion not applying at all.

Keep up the great work on this amazing game :slight_smile:

After some testing, I’m pretty confident that Locust Swarm doesn’t get any benefit from Cold damage as it should but Physical damage instead.

Have you tried other minions with conversion nodes to see if those work? Or is it specific to the Locusts?

The Locust minions themselves seem to benefit from Cold damage, they have the Cold tag on the “Summon Hive” skill but the tornado (Locust Swarm) that spawns around me after a Swarm Strike and does damage over time isn’t getting converted to Cold Damage.

That’s very interesting. We’ll take a look.

I did some testing on this exact problem a while ago - as far as I can tell, Swarm Strike’s added damage per locust to Locust Swarm was not updated to use the new “+Melee Damage” (and the tooltip does say +15 melee physical and +15 melee poison damage rather than +30 melee damage).

I think Locust Swarm’s base damage is correctly converted, but is a negligible amount of damage compared to the flat physical and poison damage gained from consuming locusts.

We for sure don’t want to change every instance of added damage type to the generic added damage as that would remove a lot of flavor and thematic from certain builds. We still have some weapons, skill nodes, passive nodes etc., granting specific added damage types, and want to keep it that way.

There’s a point in making this feedback that some nodes should be changed to the generic kind, but that’s a different conversation then.

That is definitely true, although I think this is one of the cases where it really should be changed to “adaptive” damage or be replaced with cold damage when converted. Without converting the added damage per locust consumed, the cold conversion effectively does not work (except for visual effects) since that makes up ~95% of the skill’s damage. Even stacking as much +melee and +cold as possible, you can only get to about 30% cold damage for cold locust swarm.

The conversion node also converts the source of that added damage to cold (both Swarm Strike which actually provides the added damage, and the Locusts which are consumed to scale it), so flavor-wise and thematically it is confusing that they still provide physical and poison damage instead of cold, to the point that it appears like a bug.

On a somewhat related note, I really miss being able to play my cold locust swarm build. :rofl:

You are likely right in this case and I’ll bring it up. It’s probably a mistake when everything was changed over to adaptive.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.