Legendary Items and Eternity Cache

It feels like a lot of the concerns regarding power creep are ignoring how hard it will be to get those best-cast legendaries.

It’s quite a process, after all. Firstly you need to find your preferred unique with Legendary Potential 1+. Devs have already stated most uniques will not drop with LP, with higher level ones having a lower chance, and that each LP after the first is exponentially rarer.

Lets assume we have a two LP unique. I find an exalted item (hurray!) that matches, now I can make my legendary. However, of the four affixes only two are ones that I Want on my legendary. You can commit crafting resources to attempt to remedy this, but even so getting THE BEST affixes on your item are 50/50 at best.

Of course, ultimately, you’d want every slot to be filled with Legendaries but that’s really not realistic. A lot of legendaries probably won’t be worth using of Exalted, especially not 5 affix ones. If the Legendary is worth using regardless of the affix you hit when making it, you were probably going to use the unique anyways.

Of course, there are a number of Uniques (Dreamthorn has been mentioned a couple times) that will break really quickly with just one additional affix, but that seems like it could be balanced in a number ways (such as nerfing Dreamthorn a little bit).

We’re still in early access, and I’m sure that we’ll see numerous adjustments to legendaries in the weeks and months following their introduction to the game.

2 Likes

Yeah, you’re not exactly going to be spammed with +1 uniques…

1 Like

Also to mention - as somebody did before - you also need to complete the dungeon which has gated access.

People playing for several hundred hours may also have a lot of exalted items in their stash. Just view it from the perspective of a league start. Going from 0 will need a lot of hours before you have legendaries in every spot.

3 Likes

Yep. On top of that, even if you DO Get a bunch of +1s you need to get Uniques you actually want to use, why would I use Artors Legacy as a totem-built shaman, for instance, then Exalteds with Affixes you actually want. Obviously, the best case of Legendary items is hilariously powerful but Snagging an LP4 Dreamthorn AND an exalted with four affixes you actually want to put on is astronomical, and if somehow you do make that happen maybe you deserve to have a legendary that makes Orobyss weep at the thought.

The process for getting these items to that powerful state is involved. It’s a grind, these are chase items and will be what keeps a lot of people playing, they better be powerful to reward the time you put in.

Again, if they are too strong they can be adjusted, but as it stands I don’t think it’ll warp the game in a negative fashion.

4 Likes

This is what i hope it stays that way. Concern was mostly for if its too grindy or hard and then its toned down and we get good legendaries easily.

It should be something we have to work for.

Yea, we’ll be listening to feedback very closely as always. I expect that we will be tweeking numbers on it once we get into the patch.

1 Like

I think the biggest issue is that the existance of legendaries may effect the balancing process of the endgame - which if it continues would lead to PoE issues where enemies one shot you and you one shot enemies.

We already seem to be approaching this with the majelka enemies being ridiculously overtuned even AFTER they got nerfed(which may be due to you balancing around top end builds instead of average builds - I especially suspect this as the top end builds still get killed fast by those mobs). I don’t want more of the same problem cropping up this patch as last patch.

1 Like

FYI, I just rolled through that entire Chapter with a Sorc with just 5% elemental leech and chaining Lightning Blast. I only used 1 potion on Majasa. Keep in mind, I have the entire chapter memorized now. But still, he had no special defenses, no special ultra-rare items, etc. Literally just two common uniques (Avarice which is guaranteed, and Tome of Elements which is very low power) and no exalted.

My minion Forge Guard face tanked the Majasa fight and never dropped below 95% health, and he had 0 uniques or exalted at the time. Just run of the mill gear.

Learning the chapter really has benefits. For example, I don’t stand in poison tornadoes anymore… :smiley:

I do, nothing like a good poisonado to clear out the sinuses. :laughing:

5 Likes

I think he doesn’t refer to the story chapter. These enemies are much more lethal in endgame than other chapter enemies.

For story it is of course an intended mechanic that enemies in chapter 9 are harder than in chapter 8.

But if you play mono echoes or arena waves where enemies are supposed to scale with the endgame difficulty mechanic, you see that chapter 9 enemies are a lot harder to beat.

I cannot be intended that an arena wave 180 with chapter 9 mobs is way harder to finish than a wave 220 with chapter 7 mobs.

Imho it’s ok to have some hard hitting mobs that are difficult to play. But these kind of “elites/nemesis” mobs should be equally distributed over the different chapter type enemies in endgame.

1 Like

To be fair, you can brute force through them, even with zero resists.

Life Leech is the only defensive mechanic you need during the story.

If you have health on hit with a flurry like build and/or a good portion of leech, you can sustain everything by just constantly attacking stuff.

It’s the same old, just more.
Old uniques will still be boring and bland (mostly) but with more affixes.
No new completly different class flavour or effects added, so i guess the legendaries will work but its essentially a way to make 8+ affix items.

2 Likes

I just don’t understand the hysteria behind this at all. First off, there are no game-breaking uniques at the moment. Hell, there isn’t even a single, generic, BiS unique that every build can utilize (hi2u Headhunter).

And, even with the ability to add affixes to them, I don’t see how we’re suddenly going to see every character running around in full Legs with +4 affixes. Hell, even if there were, what are the odds they would all be these 4xT5, optimal choice affixes? First off, the Exalted requires 4 affixes. How many Exalteds are there with 4 perfect affix choices? And, unless getting a 4Pot Legendary is overly-common (which is easy enough to fix by the Devs), you aren’t even guaranteed to get the “imporant” affixes on your Exalted to transfer over.

Unless it’s very stupidly implemented, there is some risk involved here – are you going to put that Good/Very good Exalted into the Forge with anything less than a 4Pot Legendary, knowing you could not get the T6/7 affix transferred over… ruining both your Exalted and bricking your rare Legendary?

The only way I really see this being a terrible change for the game, is if 4Pot/perfect roll Legendaries are too common. Hell, even at is it, without this change, well-rolled legendaries are fairly rare. And with the best Legendaries already being very time-consuming farms, without taking into consideration the rolls… getting a 4Pot, Ultra-Rare legendary + 4 Exalted (3+ good affix) to go with it isn’t going to be happening every day.

2 Likes

Tying legendary potential to item level seems somewhat arbitrary as some low level uniques are already more powerful/useful than high level ones. E.g. Reach of the grave and Mourningfrost are already BIS for some builds.

I don’t think it’s quite that simple, they tweak the probability of a given unique getting legendary potential based on the power of having more affixes, so if unique 1 would be bonkers powerful with an additional 4 affixes then it’d have a lower chance of getting +4 legendary potential.

Can’t wait! :slight_smile:

Stahp stahp. I can only get so excited :sweat_smile:

Now that I think about it, I would also prefer legendarys to be a little more specific.

• Thought more about items which activate whole skills completely
  • or make them available for other classes
  • or items which can be socketed with time stones or something like that.

Anyway, first of all we test what we get.

Probably we need now rather more crate compartments, because even exalted on weaker baseitems could be useful now sometime.
→ May the collecting begin and the equipment warehouse grow! :relaxed:

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

1 Like

Holy, poe elite gamers already here. Best possible progression with enough (I repeat, enough) rng and enough deterministic ways to upgrade, and somehow it would be bad for the game. AFAIK best possible progression from elite gamer pov is tyrael’s might/mirror of kalandra levels of rng, when you could get S-tier items (not perfect ones) only if you are playing exatly the amount of hours that season have.

I really hope that devs will do everything right.

1 Like