Last Epoch Trade Survey

I feel like this is something that is being overlooked. Pool of available loot increases exponentially with trade

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I prefer trade with player interaction but only if the players are never bots
I prefer trade with player interaction but only if the players are always bots

Well played EHG! Well played!

And if everyone wants an item and the market is not controlled then the item will become unobtainium to a vast majority of the player base. Open trade is exploited in this manner EVERY SINGLE TIME.

2 Likes

I wonder if implementing something similar to Escape from Tarkov’s Flea Market system would work here?

You can’t trade or purchase the best of the best items, but can still have access to good items that would otherwise be too time consuming to find on your own.

Also, you can’t buy and resell items. You can only sell what you have found yourself.

2 Likes

Now imagine if the system does not have a really good filter system and have to scroll through thousands of Bee Keeper to get to the unique gloves you are really looking for :rofl:

They implemented a tax in Torchlight Infinite to try and combat the inflation/price fixing

don’t ruin your game by trying to jam in a barter economy. these games are nothing without the item hunt. with open trade, they turn into busywork with an expected currency/hour output that comes at the expense of fun and choice

ggg has been trying to find a solution to this for a decade and haven’t pulled it off, you aren’t going to manage it in less than one year

the survey is extremely skewed toward pro-trade answers, so much so that i had to come here and write this

5 Likes

Trade systems are fundamental to ARPGs. I’ve been playing ARPGs since I was a teenager.

One important facet to ARPG is perceived value. If I keep dropping items that I don’t to use, then it’s the equivalent to dropping nothing. So in your farm you might drop a really rare weapon but it’s not something that interests you at all, so… what’s the point then?

Another important facet is build making. Let’s say I want to make a build around a relatively rare unique. Right now, I have no choice to make an entirely different build to grind the end-game until I drop the item, or make a second character. With trading, I can still start off with the same build, but farm lower level things without having the build enabled (but using the same build) and trade for the item.

Finally, I really don’t think trading should affect drop rates, at all. Maybe you don’t realize this, but by penalizing drop rate because of trading, you’re literally making trading mandatory. Just add trading and let it be, let people who want to min-max on trade do it, let people who want to use trade for the occasional purchase on rare items when RNG isn’t going their way, and don’t ruin the game for those that don’t want to trade.

6 Likes

/s
Wow, imagine that

2 Likes

I don’t really agree that the survey is biased, at least not intentionally or maliciously so. The main feedback I have regarding trade is that, as a couple other people have said, you can have trade without having an economy. With proper implementation, you could have trade and not sacrifice game balance to accommodate it. In fact, I think the notion that drop rates MUST be reduced in order for trade to even be a consideration, is absolutely preposterous and downright backwards. Reducing drop rates will just incentivize people to trade for everything, because why would you spend the time to farm an item when you could find someone who has it and trade them for it in less time than it would take to farm it?

I think a good implementation would be to make gear tradable, but not crafting materials or currency. That way players have a way to exchange items between each other, but not wind up devolving into another Path of Exile system.

A thought I had is to perhaps have trade set up such that players have a stash of items they want to give out, and a “wishlist” feature to request items they want. The player would be able to do a “search” from their wishlist, which would check all online players’ trade stashes to find items that roughly match what the player wants, and then any players that are found with those items would have their wishlists checked against the searching player’s trade stash to see if there are any items that match THEIR wishlist. If a player is found that has the item the searching player wants, and wants an item that the searching player has, then the searching player can send a trade request with the matched item(s) to the found player, who could then accept or decline the request; if they accept, the trade is made and the items go to some sort of “inbox” for each player - if they decline, then the searching player simply continues searching. This would eliminate (or at least mitigate) the issue of players designating certain specific items as “currency”, while also ensuring that both players get something out of the trade.

Can you point to a current or soon to be current comparable to LE where this has been done? note: private leagues don’t count.

I don’t think its intended to be malicious, but there’s clear bias in the options given and the way things are asked. As a few people pointed out, the “bot” answers are clearly using a negative terminology with a sort of vague meaning. It’s unclear why they needed to use that phrasing without clear meaning. Things like this, pointing out clear downsides in the question, and failing to include answers that align with feedback already provided, do not promote accurate feedback when an entire subset of the player base has no option that matches their opinion. They provide no space to collect said feedback other then here, which many of us have already done.

1 Like

You quoted a single sentence without context so I do not understand you question, what are you asking exactly?

your premise that you can have trade and leave SSF drop rates in place. Can you point to any other current or known upcoming comparable where they have or will do this?

This depends on what you mean by comparable, theres multiple argps that had a system to join up with another player, and drop items on the floor to swap between each other, they just weren’t arpgs being designed for longevity, or were constantly multiplayer (i.e. lan to join up).

Those games probably didnt balance around trading.

Name 5 isometric hack & slay games without trading and online coop play pretty please. Hack and Slays without trading are different and new.

150+h for an Exsang isnt resonable…

That’s supply and demand in a nutshell and btw writing every single time in bold letters every single time or with point inbetween make the whole post look silly to me.

The whole thing is easy af. Make LP uniques exalts and crafted items untradeable and only giftable. Make everything else freely tradeable because:

1. people can get build enabeling items fairly easy while we are only able to trade vendor trash or some possible good rare items.
  2. no endgame items can be traded so no need to change droprates this will regulate the market because sooner or later items with LP on it are more common and exalts beat rare items.
  3. Noone looses. No system was developed or implemented in vaine.

To me as an non native speaker the whole survey sounds like EHG already made up their mind on trading. This locks pretty much like a alibi survey I made for some vanilla wow raid groups who didn’t get what they were in to. On top of it multiple choice is always a bad thing to do but I understand the need for it because there isn’t that much manpower to read written answers.
Then again with all the feedback there was in the channel with the announcment the extend of this survey looks like a bad joke for me BUT at least it’s something even when I hoped for more after Mikes words in the Stream to get another announcement.
I realy hope I’m wrong and I just miss some messages between the lines no idea.

2 Likes

The one you are referring to are single player games that have multiplayer capability such as Grim Dawn they don’t count. The drop on the floor is a function of the single player nature of the game and not specific to trade,

Trade without exalts, means that trade is irrelevant after a few days.

What counts then? LIterally just poe and d3?

We certainly understand there are players who are completely against trade, which we try to capture in the very first question. We’re trying to gather feedback with some questions in the frame that ‘if a more open trade was to be implemented, what would be the most okay for you’. We also understand not everyone’s exact preferences will be captured in the options present, however if there’s too finely detailed of options, the results wouldn’t be very usable. We’re absolutely looking at threads, and other discourses for the more finely detailed opinions.

In the questions, the term ‘bot’ refers to an intermediary which is not the player, though the trade is connecting through to a player.

1 Like

Exalts can still be gifted… trade is for filling voids like the Exsang example I endured 2 times. Beeing able to buy a 0 lp exsang just to be able to play the build I want because I need said item is reassuring and not gamebreaking for anyone because it’s vendor trash pretty fast.

But then again you saying:

Is the best answer I can wish for because it looks like you have obviously 0 problems with it.