Last Epoch and Unity pricing updates

Definitely sounds like somebody from the sales department didn’t talk to the cents department

Then, once corrected internally, they likely claimed only an Oracle could have predicted the issue.

1 Like

This seems crazy to me. Someone can buy the game once and install it on several devices. While they can only play (online) on one device at a time, EHG is charged as if they bought it three times.

Someone pirated the game and installed? New charge. (It’s unclear if they will accidentally count pirated installs)

The Unity CEO had a bad history at EA so I wouldn’t put much past him. But the fact they’ve stated they will be using estimates, rather than actual data, to determine what to charge is a red flag.

At least this game is B2P. The F2P/Mobile game devs/publishers get hit the hardest.

That’s not exactly how that worked. You could only have it installed on five machines concurrently. You’d have to delete one of the machines from the database to be able to install it on another machine.

This advice should be heeded on anything that ever gets ‘released’ on the internet. :smiley:

Maybe they changed it, because both myself, and a friend had to call Apple and get our count limits reset so we could install, and I only had it on 2 pc’s at home.

Since i don’t believe in sudden madness, there’s an interesting theory here that i think will explain the move:
https://reddit.com/r/conspiracy/comments/16i3wmf/ive_got_a_light_conspiracy_for_a_change_apple_is/

Because LE is developed in Unity and so these pricing changes would potentially affect EHG.

I’m aware, but unfortunately this is something EHG has to figure out and we as players can’t do much.
So I was just curious why he was curious. :stuck_out_tongue:

That being said, after this being all over the internet, I’m glad to hear that:

Thanks for being open and letting us know who dont follow any of this

But the reality is you are always bound by this and other gaming companies that I am aware of simply arent. GGG/Bethesda even Crate have their own engines designed in house for the game they making and arent renting out another companies tool to do their work since this announcement could of been potentially crippling, does EHG have any plans moving forward to move away from Unity?

I’m just a bit confused. If I used programm Y on day x and then the creators drop by and tell me I have to pay money for the time I used their product in the past I would laugh and simply ignore it because this is against the law where i life.

To me this sounds completely mental and criminal but then again I have no real clue about all of this.

My understanding is the charges aren’t retroactive, but they do begin January first. And again, Last Epoch isn’t going to be greatly affected by such a change, should it go forward. Other than the hassle of communicating with Unity to make sure everything is understood, and possibly concerns over charges Unity sends them using their proprietary estimates of installs.

But one example I saw on reddit yesterday was from a F2P dev who releases games for kids. They refuse to advertise to kids, one workaround Unity offers, and instead just sell stuff in game.

They didn’t state what their game was, but it didn’t sound like they make a lot of money as it is.

That’s not how software licensing works … “Install” means unique license key.

Crate uses Iron Lore’s engine from TQ.

Unlikely any time soon given it’d be a monumental amount of work to create their own engine from scratch.

But yes, you are correct in that if you use someone else’s software for a critical thing (eg, the game engine) you are beholden to them should they change the Ts & Cs.

Depends on the contract.

And yet the announcement referred to download rather than install. Though this has now apparently changed.

Someone pirated the game and installed? New charge. (It’s unclear if they will accidentally count pirated installs)

Their current stance basically boils down to “just trust us! if you report install fraud we can totally identify that and not charge you for those!”

EHG have sold 500k+ copies as far as im aware now lets look at the competition.

Just for reference GrimDawn sold 7 million copies as of Feb 2022 so don’t think for one second this wont affect EHG. There is a reason every one on the internet is talking about this. I really hope you guys will be fine and lets just pray that Unity do not go forward with this BS Tariff.

It’s hard to trust they will properly filter out reinstalls from installs. It’s also very hard to believe they will put much effort into it since it directly harms their bottom line.

Idk why they did it, their financial must be hurting for a decision like this to come but it’s ultimately bleeding their smaller developers. And they know it’s not a good change, which makes it even worse (meaning they NEED to do this), otherwise their CEO and their board of directors wouldn’t be selling stocks right before the announcement.

A contract is not above the law, but they ammended their change and this will only affect from 2024 onwards. Including old games that are still published from 2024 onwards but that shouldn’t be illegal, at least not where I live.

Isn’t that something that is normally referred to as “insider trading”?

1 Like

Generally software licensing is always based on a unique install key, or a subscription.

Be careful mate. The trolls are out and everybody has an opinion. :smiley: