Is Mod support or steam workshop support planned?

Is modding support or steam workshop integration going to be planned for future releases?

Unlikely for online play & I’m struggling to think of a game that has online servers but allows modding for offline play (though D2 did that from memory, so, shrugs).

Howdy!

So, in Last Epoch at release, we’ll have online-only, server-side characters and offline-only, locally stored characters. For the sake of simplicity, it’s fairly likely we’ll use separate clients to access these - i.e. installing the game would include both le_online.exe and le_offline.exe.

The use of third-party software to modify how the online client works will not be supported - or allowed. Doing so may result in action being taken against your account.

For offline characters, we will be happy for people to install and use mods as they wish. Our current focus is on finishing the game and having the best release possible. After the game has been officially launched we’ll explore ways of supporting mods. A lot of us have really enjoyed using mods when playing other games, but it’s difficult to prioritize spending time on supporting mods over other work - such as improving and expanding the core game.

4 Likes

Really? Wouldn’t that double the amount of testing that needs to be done? Presumably this is so that you can take extra precautions against hacking/editing/etc of the exe as well as the data files?

Having multiple executable files would increase the testing required, but it wouldn’t double it.

Why not? Surely if you’ve fixed obscurebug #5,174 you would need to check that it’s been fixed in both exes?

Thanks. I would not expect mods to work in online modes and they should be banned.

I have always been a firm believer that by adding mod support for offline characters will increase life span of the game.

Core game development should come first of course, but also keeping an eye on enabling mods to offline play while this early in development could not hurt.

you typically don’t test entire applications after every bug fix.

You do a generic test (smoke test) to see if your fix broke something major, for any reason. This is quick sanity check however, because occurrences like these are extremely rare.

Then you typically only test the area that the bug impacted, your testing is targeted to the functionality involved. If that functionality has nothing to do with either the fact the game is offline or online, like let’s say the flickering lights bug recently, there’s no need for double testing, as there is no reason to believe this bug behaves different in the online client, vs the offline one.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.