In my opinion most spells lack audio polish that would make them feel more impactful

I really like the latest background music, however the sound effects are severely lacking.

I know not every player is like this, but I personally sometimes pick a class in an RPG if I find the sound effects satysfying on top of the visual effects.

To me, most skills’ audio in the game feels blunt and dull. If I were to play with SFX off, I don’t find the experience that much different.

I don’t want to make this sound insulting or negative, I have just played many games between the period when LE first launched and now, and compared to those games the LE skill sounds feel subpar and underwhelming and for me personally this aspect of gameplay is important.

1 Like

IIRC the devs know that most sound effects lack proper oomph, and it’s on their to-do to make them feel more impactful.

Thank you for feedback. It would help us if you gave names of spells that you felt were lackluster in sound design and one’s you felt were solid. I can pass it along to our sound designer.

Well when it comes to skills I can’t really think of anything that would strike me as solid… but on the other hand the sound effects of UI elements are quite good with all the “clicks and clacks” when you interact with the menus, intentory, map, etc.

In my opinion skills and some other effects are lacking these two things:

1. Overall “crispiness” that would make them satisfying to use. I think this one may be the hardest thing for sound designers to “fix”, because many skills sound way too simple and they need multiple layers of complexity. For example Primalist’s Fury Leap makes a sound upon landing which is just a simple “thump”. Most good sounds (or real life sounds) are combinations of different things. For example the mentioned UI elements feel like they are combinations of multiple sounds.

2. Many skills have only one sound (mostly when the skill lands). I think it’s important to include the sounds of wind-up, preparation or casting of the spell. For example the mentioned Fury Leap doesn’t produce any sound before landing. On the other hand some skills could use some after-effects after they have been used, like the sound of rocks flying around after Fury Leap. Also in this category belong different character grunts when swinging a melee skill or words when casting a spell. I know it’s difficult to not make it not annoying having a character grunt with every swing, but on the other hand it doesn’t feel right when they are completely mute.

EDIT: I started a new playthrough on a mage and Fireball and Lightning Blast don’t sound too bad if that is supposed to be some frame of reference. Most Primalist abilities on the other hand sound flat.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.