[In Game Guide] Content drift across game+IGG+external wiki(s)

As a player, it would be fantastic if data in the in-game-guide (IGG) was kept fresh by way of community-sourced input, so that I can have the latest knowledge about the game, in the game.

This might be (partially) by way of an IGG update submission tool and/or a public Github repository that players can create/update content for. The content should still be curated by EHG staff so as to prevent abuse and misinformation. This may also tie into bug submission tooling which is forthcoming.

Concurrent (if not already…) it should be so that the current code and/or game data (MOST AUTHORITATIVE) could supplement the documentation metadata such that as new updates roll out the IGG will dynamically receive updates to reflect those functional changes.

For instance, if the value for “recently” changes from the current 4 seconds to say 5 seconds all references for that in the IGG should reflect that change – so if there’s a way to source authoritative information like that dynamically rather than through human+manual content updates, it should totally happen!

One thing I don’t care for is the fandom wiki. With every documentation tool, wiki, etc there is always the problem of drift. When you have multiple sources for documentation the drift is (typically) even worse. If the flow of authoritative knowledge could be syndicated (somehow) so that the fandom wiki (or future replacement wiki) keeps in step as such, that should lessen the drift:
(Game Authority {database, code}) → IGG → Wiki.

How it is now, is of course functional but as time goes on and the change delta increases I worry about the content sync between these 3 sources becoming stale; which is often the case with any application documentation.

Cheers!

1 Like

Like the Github versioning etc to keep it up to date and use a central source for all wikis, in-game etc.

I’d Vote for @AndrewTilley to be involved in this kind of suggestion.

He is the unofficial Scribe of Eterra and has built and maintained the Community Game guide for years.

Yeah for sure! Though, I love the design approach of trying to make as much as you can, as simple and accessible as you can, in-game. It should ultimately be that you don’t -need- (again, long term) to use a 3rd party (Github) or the knowledge on how to use Git/pull-requests/etc to participate.

There’s a cost to hosting, operating, and maintaining your own repo but from a programmatic perspective if EHG was to host their own Gitlab repo or something (code.lastepoch.com) as well as provide an in-game simple WYSIWYG editor for submissions, that would be dope!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.