How "on hit" effects work

For instance, there’s an affix for “health on melee hit”. What counts as a hit? Can one use of the skill (let’s just say basic attack to keep it simple) proc multiple times if it hits multiple enemies?

What about skills that can hit the same enemy multiple times, like flurry?

Thank you!

I will link to you how Hits and Damage over Time works from the Community Game Guide:

This is probably the most important sentence:
Any source of damage that is not damage over time is considered a hit

For Flurry each projectile is considered being a hit. So Health on Melee Hit or for example the Draining Arrows node from Marksman is really strong for fast hitting attacks like Flurry.
I hope i’m correct with the Flurry part. It has reduced dmg effectiveness and ailment chance therefore the life leech aspect should be lower, but for health ON hit it should receive the full potential.

Keep in mind that the rogues passive like “Sapping Strikes” and “Draining Arrows” are on use, so for Flurry this would be once per use, not per hit.

Damage effectiveness does not directly affect leech, leech is calculated purely on the damage dealt.

But the lower damage effectiveness reduces the damage compared to other skills thereby giving you less damage to leech from.

That’s why I said “not directly” and my statement is still true.

It’s very misleading to say that damage effectiveness affects leech.

Sometimes it hurts so much to write it as a german, but … your response was so german :rofl:

It affects damage that affects leech.

1 Like

I just don’t like misleading statements, that could lead to people applying these mechanics in the wrong way.

1 Like

I wrote
'it (Flurry) has reduced dmg effectiveness […] therefore the life leech aspect SHOULD be lower’’
in relation to…

…in relation to the full Health on Hit numbers for Draining Arrows that is not affected by reduced dmg effectiveness on Flurry.

But sorry for making a mistake Heavy. I let you answer all the questions, so that no misleading statements can appear and you dont have to worry anymore.

1 Like

I just don’t understand why you put damage effectiveness in relation to leech.

Damage effectiveness is only one small part of the entire damage calculation.

And leech is based on the final damage, that is dealt.

I have an additional question for “y’all” …

Does an AoE (say, Elemental Nova) “hit” a pack of 10 monsters 10 times (10 hits) or one “hit” ?

Does it calculate the procs & damage individually for each mob or at the “start” for the skill? Not entirely sure.

No idea.

This can be verified by inflicting crit damage.
If all targets are critically hit at the same time, then 1 total hit.

After all that I’m still unsure about my initial question, “Can one use of the skill (let’s just say basic attack to keep it simple) proc multiple times if it hits multiple enemies”.

Another question: What about secondary effects from skills, especially those that are added from a passive, such as detonating ground on forge strike? Does that “hit”? Does it count as melee, and would it proc “on melee hit”? Thanks.

One skill may trigger multiple instances of “on melee hit” if it hits multiple times. Most hits can only hit each target 1 time so it would require multiple targets. (I said “Most” because I’m not sure if there is an exception or not. I can’t think of any but we’ve got a lot of stuff going on that I sometimes forget about)

Detonate Ground is a melee hit. If a node on a skill tree references it, you should be able to hold alt and get the skill tooltip for the triggered ability to show up.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot Mike!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.