Help understanding mechanics and scaling

I am sure there will always be some exception or something that is not working as intended, but everything we discuss here will apply to anything in the game.

If you have a skill and an item triggering an void rift.

The Void Rift triggered by the skill itself will be affected by the skill spec tree.
The Void Rift triggered by the Item will only be affected by the base scaling tags of void rift (in Void Rift’s Case Void, Spell, Vitality)

but isnt flame reave the skill that proc them either way? if i take fire aura passive points in the passive tree… and then i take more fire damage in flame reave and then cast flame reave and get fire aura it would be effected based on what we talked last time. becase the one to trigger them even if the chance is on the passive tree the one who triggered it was the flame reave ?

no, if the item or passive don’t specifically needs Flame Reave to be the thing that procs it, the passive or item will not care for flame reaves skill tree.

then you are saying if i have chance to proc it on passive tree and chance to proc it on flame reave , the chances dont combine ? but rather 2 different chances to create 2 different instances of fire aura? that sounds abit unlikely possible but would be weird to design it this way

: if the chance is combined the clearly the chance from passive tree is also effected or neither are because they become 1

That is correct, in this specific example, because it’s very important for the scaling.

There are some other things in LE, like Unique Item affects and Idols that do “combine”.

But those are things where the proc already specifies a specific skill.

But generally speaking passive and item procs are seperated from skill spec tree procs.

but then agian… the idol say chance to cast smite when using a throwing attack. this combine with some skills that already got chance to proc smite on use right?

and the fire aura says almost the same chance to proc when using melee attack. flame reave is a melee attack. thats whole thing really is confusing so i think the Dev really should make a clear statement about it detailed post perhaps

But smite is a skill that itself has a skill spec tree.

Neither Void Rift’s nor Fire Auras doe have their “own” skill spec tree, that’s why they inherent the scaling from the parent skill.

If you trigger a skill, that already has a skill spec tree, by another skill that has a skill spec tree (example Trigger Smite by using Warpath), the triggered Smtie will not inherent any scaling of warpath

yes but in this example it was about how chances are combined together. or not… for example even tho smite has its own skill tree… if you have have 2 different places that provide you 50% chance to active smite each… what matter is… if it combine the chance into a 100% or it will be different chances that even with lets say 50% on skill tree and 50% on idols you will roll these chances individually which will result in a none guaranteed chance to cast it… and even could cast it twice from 1 attack because it would be yes or no for the first 50% then yes or no for the second one… thats the whole subject of that question im ware smite got its own tree so it wont be effected by any other tree unless specificly mentioned so.

but if the chance is combined for smite… it is or should be combined for any other effects . and if the chance is combined you have really have different instances .

But it will not, because:

It is relevant for the scaling of the triggered ability from what source it triggers.

That’s why the passive for Fire Aura and the Skill Spec Node for Fire Aura in Flame Reave do not combine.

The one triggered by Flame Reave is (potentially stronger) stronger.

I don’t want to de-rail the discussion into what should or should not be the case, because this is subjective.
The way triggered abilities currently work are very fine for me.
It is a bit complicated and overwhelming and yes there are some explanations missing froim the game guide.

But with the current system the devs give triggered abilities from items and passive the opportunity to scale very well into end game, which I personally like.

ohh pls dont get me wrong… im not saying its not working properly or that its bad or that its not scaling well ^^ im only saying we are lacking a clear statement that confirm or explain in detail all of them and their interaction. thats all.

Edit: and i dont think it is too complicated or overwhelming i been playing PoE since beta im fine with complexity … but im saying the info is missing ^^
im sure once the make a clear statement about it, it wont be as confusing to anyone anymore

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.