Gloves, boots, and belts there's only one right answer > REZ and flasks, why?

The diversity for Belt prefixes is definitely lacking.

And if the devs want Belt Potion Prefixes to be really important, there should be at least more variety than just dodge, ignite chance, ward and additional potions.

For Gloves i think itā€™s not that bad, the only thing that is lacking are bow glove prefixes.
But other than that, gloves have alot of prefixes that all all good and viable.

Boot Prefixes is a very small pool i agree.

In terms of suffixes: All 3 slots are totally fine IMO, not much different from any other slot.

How about, for 4s on potion use you transform into a killer bikini vampire Llama wielding a Halberd.

1 Like

:llama: :point_right: :door:

4 Likes

Youā€™re helping KissingAiur when sheā€™s offline?
(edit: removed the ping, sorry)

1 Like

Nah, @KissingAiur doesnā€™t mind being pinged, in fact I think she enjoys it.

:llama: :point_right: :door:

5 Likes

She now has to take care of much more important things, but iā€™m happy to carry on tradition.

4 Likes

No ping rule doesnā€™t apply in forums :slight_smile:

I respectfully disagree glove and Boots Lots in particular have high res implicits that everyone takes every single build, I canā€™t see how the situation is acceptable, you need to at least have a possibility for a Rez and some other either bow or melee or whatever augment as an implicit so that there is some variety so they can take Fire Res melee or whatever but itā€™s definitely not okay. Itā€™s just my observation from now four totally different builds and 200 hours in the game of the past 2 months

So you are talking about implicits? Not explicit mods?

The Void Resistance Gloves are really strong yes, but so are the endurance, cast speed gloves and critical chance ones.

For Boots we have the fire and cold resistance ones. The only other endgame viable option are the ward retention boots.

Obviously more and more choices would be alsways great and i would never say no, for more base types with different implicits.

But i donā€™t think that boots and gloves are any different than other slots.

Most slots have 3-5 endgame viable base types.

I like that the gloves (& amulets) have a high resist base, it makes gearing easier. But as Heavy said, the Solarum Bracers, Engraved Gauntlets & Noble Gloves are good bases as well.

IMO, boots are less interesting given the relative ease of getting elemental resist (2x gold rings & 2x ele resist suffixes puts you above cap) and thatā€™s without any specific reissts from your mastery (which varies, many canā€™t get any ele resist).

Boots are effectively a 3 affix gearslot as you ā€˜needā€™ movement speed and there are no other large sources for the majority of builds. This will continue to pressure the boot slot unless movespeed was available elsewhere, but isnā€™t it good that the different gearslots have their own flavour?
Belts force you to invest in potions, even if you donā€™t want them. All the belt bases have an implicit investment in 3 potions but not all builds need or value potions. Specifically looking for solutions that improve build diversity, I would welcome a hybrid affix with negative potion counts and something that would support builds that donā€™t value them.
An affix that was -1 potion slots for tiers 1-4 and -2 potions slots at tier 5 would be very interesting when paired with health regen or armor or some ward or damage to mana.

I kinda disagree with this. IMO, movement speed isnā€™t ā€œessentialā€ (as in youā€™re guaranteed to die on bosses if you donā€™t have the move speed prefix on your boots) but it is nice to have since it speeds up the gameplay a bit by reducing the amount of time youā€™re moving from pack to pack. Iā€™ve done all of the monolith bosses without the movement speed prefix.

Unless youā€™re a minion build though, thereā€™s not much else to put in the prefix slot on boots. Itā€™s movement speed, a stat, mana or a minion stat. If youā€™re a minion build you need movement speed less because youā€™ve got your minions to do the tanking for you.

Thereā€™s only 1 type of build that actively doesnā€™t want potions, low life builds, every other build benefits from them in some way, though I do find the belt prefixes boring/lacking as I rarely do a ā€œpotionā€ focussed build, so you can take 1 or 2 damage prefixs. More belt prefixes that arenā€™t potions-related would be nice but Iā€™m not sure whether the devs would do that since theyā€™ve said before that they want the belt potion-focussed.

If you have two silver rings, movement speed on the boots is nice to have but not mandatory

I kinda disagree on both points. Iā€™m a huge fan of melee, S+B and anything that gets my up close and personal (CaC!).
Movement speed is one of the absolute biggest DPS stats for melee. The default movement speed is so slow you will literally die moving from mob to mob when your movement skill is on cooldown. I hate the term ā€˜clearspeedā€™ but for a melee build movement speed is so massively effective that for many builds it could be sensibly argued you are ā€˜doing it wrongā€™ by lumbering around slowly with no movespeed.
From my melee experience, in my builds, potions are virtually useless. I donā€™t use them at all on my Werebear or Paladin. I have far more effective things to do than return a small amount of life (vaaaastly less then I get on one melee hit with leech).
These are my current two favourite characters I have, both of which I consider movespeed essential to the build and potions irrelevant.

Iā€™m just arguing there is move than one type of build that gets little to no benefit from potions (in their current iteration).

Isnā€™t it more efficient in terms of stat distribution to use the implicit on the rings for resists and then just that one slot on the boots for speed?

It can be, yes. It may depend on your class and build.

1 Like

You wonā€™t ā€œliterally dieā€, though as I said, it does feel better with more movement speed than less. Also, as I said, thereā€™s very little to compete with movement speed on boots unless youā€™re a minion build.

But thereā€™s no opportunity cost to using a potion, it has no ā€œcast timeā€, you can use it while doing other things. The only time itā€™s actively bad for a build is on a low life build without the Chains of Uleros belt that converts potions into ward.

How much hp do you have, how much hit damage do you do & how much leech do you have?

I never said there werenā€™t types of builds that donā€™t benefit much from potions, since I disagree with you on that point, just that thereā€™s only one type of build that a potion is actively bad because it reduces the amount of ward you have due to the way that Exsanguinous/Last Steps of the Living work.

Iā€™m not saying potions are actively bad for my melee characters, but irrelevant. I donā€™t waste the time it takes to move my finger when I could do something impactful instead (avoid damage, cast a buff, move to attack). For these builds it would be impactful to use the stat allocation awarded to potions for something else.

My Paladin Iā€™m using for example has 1650 health and 70% armour mitigation (unbuffed in town), with 68% block. Hit leech is 5% on hit/melee and 2% on his huge bleed dot.

If there was a belt base that had zero potions and 150 armour, I would use that happily! Or an affix that gave +armour and -potions as it tiered up.

I hope Iā€™m not derailing this thread asIā€™ve been learning alot from the responses :slight_smile:

Most of my PoE and Grim Dawn favourite builds donā€™t use the potions and Iā€™ve played so many hours in both of those that its not something to brag about.

Thatā€™s fair enough. Iā€™ve got a Red Dragon mouse so a health potion is always on my thumb with my skills on my left hand fingers.

1 Like