Gender Locking Classes

I’ll admit I’m a bit surprised that in 2023 this still has to be a topic. And I get, that in this genre, this is (for some reason) considered the norm.

I’d love to see Last Epoch transcend that idea and allow male or female variants of any class. Character customization is always a thing that appeals to players - and that’s clearly already reflected in the fact that we have Appearance tabs.

So…why…must my Primalist be a guy, and my Acolyte a girl?

Now, I get that the animations are unique to the classes, the gear is likely unique to the models, there’s the class story art. So no it’s not something the devs could just toss into the mix for launch.

But moving forward? I think this should be included.

Just my two cents.

6 Likes

I agree completely. Also not sure who decided that ARPGs shouldn’t allow character customization, but it seems like that shouldn’t be a thing, anymore. Would love the ability to not look like every single other primalist out there.

1 Like

This has been addressed numerous times and you can find the official response if you search for it. But the short version is that they don’t have it now because it’s very costly to do, because it doubles all the work of making and testing character and item models and animations.

5 Likes

Why does every one of these always start with “it’s 2023!!!”

Most games don’t have character customization. PoE still doesn’t have the ability to customize the characters appearance and they have the money to do so.

4 Likes

Other than gender, I don’t see the point of character customization in a game like this anyway. You will never see 99% of it, 99% of the time.

4 Likes

If only it were as easy as just ‘doing it’. Unfortunately, things cost time and money. And, especially with indie titles, both are limited. Now, just fire up your mage, run around slaying things, looking like Tywin Lannister, and enjoy it!

1 Like

I don’t understand it. Diablo 3 did it so now it is considered the default for a game to do?

1 Like

i was generally tilting towards let me choose male/female for my characters , but i decided i don’t care. :laughing:
give the current choices better artwork.
maybe give them backstories in the lore and make them actual persona.
that would be my choice

It’s a very easy equation: having two genders for each class means double the work designing armor pieces, animations. Double the voice work. Some extra work on each class-specific dialogue to account for pronouns, extra work for each MTX affecting same.

It’s just more expensive for very little benefit because the majority of players don’t particularly care… Or not enough to let it affect their purchasing decisions, at any rate.

Now, bigger companies like Blizzard with millions to burn can afford to simply higher more graphics designers, coders, voice actors and artists to make sure every class has both options, but for a small studio where each work hour counts, there are simply more important things that need attention than there are people to attend to them, so minor cosmetic issues may linger.

1 Like

Thanks for opening a new thread rather than reading & commenting on the existing thread.

TLDR: They want to do it but haven’t budgeted for it so it’s not going to be before 1.0.

1 Like

I just bought this game via Steam… and I am excited to create my own avatar… then I found out it’s gender locked issue… it’s too late but I asked a refund. I still hope to play this game in the future with 2 gender per class with at least 3 race/ethnicity.

1 Like

Lol imagine if this was your make or break deciding factor…

2 Likes

Why stop there? What about customizable hair/eye colors? Surely we’ll also need physical deformities as well? I mean, I sure a person with dwarfism would want to play their avatar as well? I know a guy born without an arm, so we’ll need the ability to remove/sever limbs at specific places, as well as adding and removing digits on the hand and feet.

I’d go into piercings and body markings, but those as just a huge can of worms. How would you help someone with a Prince Albert get an appropriate avatar?

2 Likes

Please roll this into the main topic for the issue that has several official replies.

And please be more appropriate over there too.

1 Like