Gender locked classes

Would be nice if it wasn’t genderlocked, I would like to have the choice. But as others have stated it isn’t game breaking. Maybe it’s something that may be added closer to/ after full release! We’ll all have to be super duper nice to the Dev team :slight_smile:

Magic = Science we simply don’t understand yet.

If you went back say 2000 years with all the technology we have now. You would either be worshipped as a god…or burned alive at the stake for witchcraft :rofl:

I see. So you say mage is more of a scientist doing scientific things we just not understand? Would explain why he wears a robe.

1 Like

…In the real world.

There fixed it for you. :smiley:

I wish I could choose my gender!

2 Likes

The negative gender bias in the class choices was an immediate turnoff for my wife, who generally loves ARPGs. A rogue or a dark magic user are not the best way to present a positive image of female characters in your game. I suspect she’s not going to be the only woman who feels this way.

3 Likes

I suppose that in the end we will be able to choose the sex of our characters.

Last Epoch has small financial means, is it easy to understand that they had to give priority to other subjects.

(This message was written using google translation, excuse me if there are any grammatical errors)

Generally I prefer to have the choice, gender lock is for me a feature giving a flavor of low-end free to play Korean game. However Last Epoch offers a cutscene for each character, which makes this quite acceptable.

If there is to be an improvement, it would be to make each character more unique, with a more marked personality. Personalized dialogues (even a line from time to time) like PoE, to remind us of the identity of our character. It’s always nice to make the NPC worried because you’re playing a witch, or happy because they see a soldier arriving capable of helping them.

Additions of this type would largely erase the frustration of being limited by the gender lock offering an rpg feel. I also think of Sacred 1 and 2, who proposed an exclusive starter for each character. It might also be great to include a side quest specific to each class and continuing throughout the game. Something simple, punctual but which would make each character’s personality stronger while making the game overall more consistent.

In the case of the witch, for example, it could be a quest around her thirst for power. And it would be great to find the other classes in our games, as NPC or as bosses to face. I want a meeting between the witch and her mentor !

1 Like

Considering that this game is being developed by an independent studio, they are probably just using rough character models as place-holders while they focus on working out mechanics/game-play features that actually matter.

There is no agreement here. In this same thread someone said that they didn’t like that female classes tend to be healers. Now you complain about the opposite. Maybe the person that “sees” the bias is really the one with the bias. Most people thought nothing of the character choices.

A gender choice in character creation would be nice, but it is a luxury to be honest. I would rather the game be good first. They can come back to it eventually.

Some have also said that the characters aren’t supposed to represent “you”, but are rather just the character who you are playing the story for. Just the same as reading a book doesn’t have “character creation”, you are just along for the ride.

2 Likes

This is a lie it does not lower potential player base stop trying to lead the dev team away from what they actually need to do. It has been done in many a study that having gender lock does not lower any potential for a player base.

1 Like

Eh, I could probably argue otherwise but personally gender lock doesn’t bother me most of the time, especially in an arpg where I see my character’s gear as an extension (or an omission/overide, depending) of their personality.

At any rate it’s not really about the character archetypes/other traditional role-playing aspects themselves for me in arpgs. Just give me that sweet endorphine enducing loot hunt.

I think both mechanics/game-play and aesthetics are equally important. I won’t play an ugly game, nor will I play a game that’s gorgeous but isn’t fun to play. However, that said, the development cycle they’ve laid out is smart and clear. They will focus on the aesthetics when it arrives in the cycle. I think it’s safe to say the game does not “look” anything like it will once it is released.

I think it’s safe to assume that the character models will look largely the same at release.

They’ve already invested a lot of time into making art assets that fit onto the character models and have appropriate 2D art for the inventory. Not to mention making sure the animations look good with the model. Some things for sure are placeholder/going to be updated (Skeletons are a releveant example) but I think it’s unwise to assume the game is going to “not look anything like it will once it is released.”

Last minute large scale art changes in development not only don’t monetarily make sense, they often don’t work.

To be honest, I don’t see any point in arguing over this topic.

There already is a statement by Mox that they’d liked to do it, but did not due to limited resources, but look forward to eventually do it it the future.

So it is what it is right now. People who don’t like gender locked classes have to get over it or need to wait for a future implementation (could really take a while and it’s not certain it’s coming at all).

I personally can’t understand why somebody would not play a very fun game just because he /she can’t choose the gender of their character. But that’s my opinion. If it’s that huge issue for some people to drive them off, I am sorry for that. But you people miss a very good game in that case.

And I am really, really, near to 200% sure that the decision to make Rogue and Acolyte female characters is not based on EHGs general view on females in the real world. This kind of assumption doesn’t get a lot of goodwill from my side.

5 Likes

I don’t find it an issue but yeah if people want some kind of imersion why not, but later it would be best to work in, more important thing to tweak first in my opignon.

I would love if sometime down the line you could pick your sex. I know a lot of men want to play as a woman but I’m one of those people who feel more connected to my character when I can play as my sex. My favorite RPG class types are rogue and any kind of dark magic type (Warlock Necro etc) so I was pretty bummed that both are female only. I will still end up playing them, but it pushed me to try the mage first (Im currently loving Spellblade, and Im also really interested in Void Knight for Sentinel). I just wanted to say since you guys have mentioned that it’s more a problem of resources that when the time comes after all the phases are completed and the game is launched I’m someone who would pay for a male rogue and acolyte dlc. I feel like the people who care about this sort of thing would probably pay a little extra to have what they want. Just something to consider for the future :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

I’ve been hearing the argument of lacking resources to create a choice in character creation and especially for a smaller studio. I can totally follow and understand that argument to be made. But if your resources are limited, the amount of thinking you put into where to assign them is even more important and with all due respect, you have not designed relatable characters in this game at all. What I am seeing is three choices that different men can relate to, all of them the heroes presumably while the one available female choice is an outcast that relies on poison and forbidden arts while the to come rogue character at least has me believe is going to stray exactly in the same underhanded and sneaky direction. With that, all your characters to me speak of lazy character design and are indeed transporting a message out into the world of what you think of your playerbase.

I am not a woman myself, but I am admittedly disgusted on how you both portray men and women in your game as stereotypes and how you have decided to save resources where you really should not have. Your characters, especially when focusing on a character instead of an archetype, should tell a story in themselves and be someone to relate to. More even then classes, that can be individualized by the player, your premade characters should step out of character roles society expects them to be in and be hero material. You are trying to tell a story of heroes, so why have your characters follow norms of society and conform to what is expected of them or be displayed as evil outcasts like your currently only female character?

I honestly would have expected a lot more creativity, especially if you are trying to make a difference where there is a lot of competion and I would as is not recommend this game to others for the sole reason, that it transports the wrong values to the audience in my opinion .

I honestly hope that you can take a bit of time and rethink what kind of characters you want your playerbase to identify with and what message you want to send out into the world with your game.

Thanks for your feedback.

Many heroes start from unlikely beginnings.

Just because someone else has a, shall we say, very different view of the game to you doesn’t mean that their motive is to “harm” it.

That said, I’m not sure DoHan has played the Sentinel, since he was a deserter (from his society/Rahyeh’s point of view), not exactly a “character role society expects”.

1 Like

I am absolutely astonished by some of the content that is posted recently.

The Immortal Emperor is obviously a male being. What does that say about the devs view on men in reality?

I think some things here are absolutely over interpreted. Following DoHans logic 95% of people would be racist, women haters or ableist (learned this word yesterday).

1 Like