Gender locked classes

a dev was on a stream today
basically it is very resource costy and some characters have a specific back story bond to their gender
they would like to include both genders in the future but right now its not a priority

I really don’t care, since you ask i am gonna reply XD, i don’t think that this kind of details should be on the top of the list on any game, comic, movie, etc

The gender of the character ends being a useless acessory that cant save something wrongly made, that is boring or that lack a good history or relatable characters.

I dont say that representation is bad, i think is important but can’t be the main focus because thinking that my game is gonna be a success just because the main character is male/female, or have one specific sexual preference is a mistake

Also i am gonna write my concerns on what DoHan stated, that female characters are portrayed as the bad one, and i think who cares? This is a fantasy world were everyone could help and personally think is awesome that we can have a badass necromancer mistress leading and army of skeletons destroying everything in his way or a very deadly rogue that can kill hordes of enemies with a pair of knifes or arrows, i think both character classes are really interesting and really don’t lose any flavor or quality just because arent “good”, that should be said that they aren’t “lawful” really, in the other side of the coin i really disgust paladin concepts (on every game not only this one) but is nothing personal with the sentinel, the idea of a righteus man that is so tight to the law in a world that is falling apart really dislikes me but thats just my taste and i already played a little of the class and is fun.

Unless other games that i played the female characters are interesting and not just the healer or the priest or the bard, that are usually support classes.

As someone already stated on another comments i really like that we have the counterpart of what diablo 2 have woman sorcerer and male necromancer, feels like a fresh start and i loved those characters in diablo but here with gender swaped are awesome too.

i guess some people care because they are actually still roleplaying in RPGs

you clearly missunderstand my answer, as i said in that exact quote, yes gender could care to players, but that can’t be the main focus, you can’t put her above a interesting history or fun game because being fun is the main focus of a game, if is fun then who cares which gender have the characters, is an accesory sure is nice but we are here to have fun first.

You can’t save a bad game with sexual diversity and good intentions only, have to be good in the main parts

Or maybe you think that developers should not sell games saying “fun and interesting game”, “really deep story”, “really relatable characters”, “very good made game and mechanics”, etc, the kind of things that every game critic takes into account first in a game.

pd: if i sound a little blunt, rough or hard to understand is because i am not native, i don’t try to fight anyone or being voluntary mean, just argue respectfully.

I’ll add that I would also favor not having gender-locked classes, specifically because the current implementation is in stark contrast to dev’s justificaiton for other things. Recall that the idea of respeccing was said to be more challenging than other games because they want the character to feel unique and individual for the player and making respeccing too easy hurts that. How does that mesh with gender-locked characters who already have specific histories given in the cutscenes?

And how does that work anyway once multiplayer comes? The cutscenes and histories work fine for single player, but once we can all group up… is every rogue the same one who didn’t take the shot? Is every acolyte the same disgraced person? Does every mage have the same guilt for the same reason? It’s final form is a multiplayer RPG. Don’t we make the story?

I suppose there can be justification given the time manipulation in the story but it still seems strange.

Just a gentle reminder to everyone, please keep this thread to a civil discussion. If you have nothing of value to contribute to the discussion but to be rude to the community, please choose to not post.

Thank you.

1 Like

Ok, I confess, I posted a useless comment.
As an apology, I’d like to remind that :
Eleventh Hour Games have limited resources, and I prefer that they work on the game rather than offering a useless character creator.
ps : sorry for my bad english.

Well, i feel this, i only play female character in every game i play, my friends sometimes make fun of me, but i don´t care… on WoW i have only Belf, POE i play Scion or Witch. On LE i would try void knight, but because of the male aspect, i changed and went for Necro.

I know that for most of the people it doesn´t matter, but for some of us, this does matter, i hope they can do something like D3, where the model are fixed, but we have different options. This would also increase the cosmetic selling as some people prefer to buy cosmetic for female characters.

1 Like

I understand you, I would like to play a redhead spellblade girl…
But, after less than 20 minutes, your character will have a helmet…
I hope you understand why gender selection are not a priority for the development of the game.

I understand that is not a priority, i think it´s just something that the Cosmetic team can work on, it would not be hard to add a female / male counterpart to every class, like on Diablo 3, we don´t really need a Character customization, just the gender counterpart for the transmogs we will probably buy

okay you clearly did not read anything the devs already said about the matter in this thread if you say:

it would not be hard to add a female / male counterpart to every class

One of the devs already said this:

Activision-Blizzard is one of the most profitable companies in the game industry of course they can do that without any problem.

2 Likes

Reply to the post you want to steal a quote from, copy the quote (including the leading bit with the [quote="…], discard the reply then edit your existing post to add in the quote.

1 Like

Thx llama, helpful as always

1 Like

+1 totote97 !
Blizzard have almost 10 000 professionals.
Eleventh Hour Games have less than 50 (sorry, can’t find the exact number)
It’s not fair to compare these 2 companies.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

let’s make a robot class this guy
IMHO it’s childish argument like : you gurl? you play barbie… I BUOY? I PLAY HE MAN.
sorry but it’s 2021 and we still trying to overcome about genders here.
it’s so sad. guess it’s not a argument for the forum IMHO.
in every other ARPG in the histroy it’s like this ,it’s because there is a LORE behind the char.

And Grim Dawn/Titan Quest.

Never played Titan Quest, and totally forgot Grim Dawn…thanks :slight_smile:

The actual number of players EHG will miss out on by not having this at release, or really at any point in time, will be totally unnoticeable to them.

There’s a very long way to go from just being unhappy that you can’t play <Class of Choice> with male/female presenting pixels and being so unhappy that you aren’t willing to buy/play the game at all over it. Most aren’t going to get there. The subset of players who care about it is already very small to begin with - and it only gets smaller once you add “Give up a game you want to play” as an additional filter. It’s just not an issue that matters enough to enough people to measure up to the high cost of delivering it.