Gender lock

Yeah most likely. Then I guess we will have to wait till many expansions later when they finally have spare resources to spend on developing the alternative gender for each class.

Or let’s just hope the cosmetic shop does so well that LE developers will get enough resources soon to implement all the stuff they and the community want to see.

2 Likes

i guess if there is a LORE , you can accept gender lock. every char got a lil intro story , and this “kill” the gender lock problem.

Just to add to the data set of reasons guys play female characters.

I, as a man, will play a female character if it fits the role/backstory of the character better. In Pathfinder, for example. I like playing some of my rogues as female because it fits in the theme of seducing the marks to steal or kill. I will play female Aasimar/Elf archers or casters.

Those are maybe 1/10th of my characters though, as the vast majority of my characters I prefer to build as male.

I will also note, in Pathfinder (Kingmaker or Wrath of the Righteous), you get to put in custom portraits if you so choose. I download portrait packs and then go through them and delete those I will never use. If there are any females that are naked, or oversexualized to the point of absurdity, they get deleted. What’s worse, the new game has Kitsune (fox people), and the number of furry fetish portraits is disgusting. I don’t mind if female characters have big breasts, some women do in reality after all, but I also don’t mind if they have small breasts either. It is a non-issue for me.

About the only body type I am actually picky about is barbarian. They just demand a hulking brute, male or female.

1 Like

After a few weeks of playing, I’m getting bored with Acolyte and Rogue, but still love the game so shall carry on with them. There is of course another solution, and I know people are going to scream at the comparison, but Scion in PoE…could be an idea for a female character, so you can play the other classes by “opening up” all masteries, or even a fixed number, for that one character who would have their own backstory. Jack of all trades, master (mistress) of none.

In the grand scheme, it does seem silly and maybe a bit sexist to refuse to play a character/class just because of the sex of the character.

1 Like

Matter of personnal tastes i guess, i don’t really get the point too, but i know that’s because i do not care at all, i just play the char and that’s it, just like when i read a book i don’t wanna chose Frodon’s, Rand’s or Conan’s gender, because i don’t need to, these are their stories, not mine. In LE, i’m not the traveller.

Doesn’t mean i’m right to do so, it’s just how i function, other peoples arn’t forced to do so. Problem is when some starts to massively get offended for no valid reasons (some people can REALLY enter berzerker mode about gender lock, no maters if they’re pro or anti, it’s kinda cringe) and asks for changes based only for their personnal tastes, creating conflicts with other players/readers/whatevers, but this isn’t the case here, and EHG said why they can’t do that now, so i guess everything’s allright.

And we’ll see what the future’s made of.

Call me silly, but in 4k hours of PoE i never touched the templar. I don’t like what he looks like. So it’s a big no no for me. When they will introduce MTX (if what they said holds true) that will unlock alternate gender, i guess it will be the time for me to test the templar.

2 Likes

Sexism is when you are acting against a real person based on their sex. This is about how people are choosing to express themselves.

1 Like

You should be ashamed to guess the genders of the chars ingame in the first place! :smiley:

I have far more conserning matters at hand because the max level armor of the class i like most looks like the level 1 armor of said class ^^. I look much more for armor skins then if my toon is whatever gender or whatever whatever.

2 Likes

We don’t have to guess, we are presented with a line up of characters to choose which one to play at the beginning of the game, plus our characters do actually speak during the game.
But it matters not, EHG have spoken, so we know where we stand. It’s just a shame that ARPGs don’t get themselves up to date in 2021 and actually offer choices in character creation…now that’s something that would put EHG right out in front of the other runners :slight_smile:

Sorry, I thought LE was an action RPG, I didn’t realise it was actually a pen & paper role play game.

You’re correct! But what’s to stop an ARPG being more progressive than other ARPGs? Who actually decreed that you can’t have a choice in character creation because it’s an ARPG? Move with the times and put that pencil down!

1 Like

I agree, I’m more than happy to not have characters gender locked, so happy infact that I’m not particularly fussed about it (as I said in the other thread). I’m definitely in the “it doesn’t/shouldn’t matter so put it in resources nothwithstanding”.

Gender locking means 1 set of animations for every single skill in the class.
Not locking means 2 sets. Double the work.

I will also remind folks that you have no idea what gender these characters are unless you ask them. They could all be male (or all female) for all you know. Just play the video game and stop worrying about the outline of the graphics pixels.

…and the voice? we turn voices off? great game.

1 Like

What about the voice? There is no such thing as a female or male voice. Just different pitches.

Oh this is getting quite misogynistic…I think you should stop there.

2 Likes

What are you talking about? Do you even know what that word means?

Hey guys.

I am closing this thread and reopening the original thread on this same topic. The original thread had a good discussion going that covers majority of what is being said here. I would advise if you are interested in continuing this discussion to read and continue conversations here: Gender locked classes - Feedback and Suggestions - Last Epoch Forums

Thank you.

1 Like