FPS drop in new patch

I know there has been reports on FPS drop on certain zones and might be issue with RTX card. I am using i7 8750 and RTX2060 on low setting, 60fps cap, and want to add my observation below if it has not been tracked yet.

Fps drop after killing many enemies in Arena with purple dark forest (can’t remember the name).

Empowered Blood, frost and death second story quest has noticeable performance drop from start to end.

Performance degradration when damaging a lot of undead(necrotic enemies) on the screen with large multihit aoe skills (spiral static orb+mini orb in my case). It is very noticeable that the degradation happens exactly on-hitting the undead enemies. Using frozen ire and freeze stacking character makes the degradation even worse (tested by unequipping it).

Hi,

• Please can you include your player.log (preferably just after you experience the issue so that the debug logs include the timeperiod in question and havent been overwritten).

• Also, please include your le_graphicsmanager.ini file (as a reference for the exact settings you used when you experienced the issue).

• The output from your dxdiag would also be useful as a snapshot of your system information and drivers.

Obviously the game has performance issues that are evident and fairly repeatable - lots of mobs with big mob pulls and skill wipes, lots of on screen skill procs, lots of minions etc… these are known and are likely only going to be addressed when the devs get to optimising the game closer to launch and removing all the debug processing.

Specific bugs however, that can be replicated and traced can be fixed…

I know you have tried to explain your experience but it would be helpful if you can be very specific with your description of the problem so that the devs can attempt to replicate the issue in-house… Step by step testing to try and isolate what is causing it… For example, the recent patch issue with Ice Barrage causing massive FPS drops was only able to be fixed because they were able to reproduce the problem and trace the bug.

If you find a specific skill or something that seems to cause the fps loss, then detail of the skill/nodes chosen etc… will help… even a video of you testing/replicating the issue would be great if you can provide it… Sometimes its a single node or combination that causes the issue… Sometimes is something totally unexpected that is actually the culprit.

Map related performance issues are a little harder but again, its finding the common denominators so that others can attempt to cause the problem to happen - this is very important for the devs as without being able to cause the issue reliably, looking through the code is like looking for a needle in a proverbial haystack…

Here you go. It is from a new run today since I am farming that empowered mono. Ended just nice after completing the second story quest of blood, frost and death. Today’s run after PC restart is smoother than yesterday but there is still noticeable degradation in the second story quest.

On the 3rd point. I notice the FPS drop on hit effect happens mostly when hitting blue-named soul cage with static orb. white-named one is fine strangely.

To LE.zip (47.5 KB)

Skillwise.
I am using Frozen ire unique. 50% chance of proccing lightning blast on hit idols.
Static orb with key nodes: orbiting node, max small spheres, ice conversion, explode after 4m.
Lightning blast with key nodes: max chain, ice conversion, max freeze multi.
Ice barrage: but I did not use it when the lag is noticed
flame ward: max ward, fire aura, ward activated on stun, charge+1, with passive conversion to ice.
Teleport: ward generation and retention + armor node +elemental damage

Video-wise, I am a boomer that don’t know how to capture video with good framerate so no dice there.

Thanks for the additional information…

Few quick ones…

1. The FPS degradation… Is it gradual over multiple on hit effects? Is it significant - i.e. drops 20 fps or more unexpectedly? What I am trying to establish is, is the performance drop obvious? i.e. you cannot miss it…

2. Have you attempted to verify the game files - sometimes odd things happen if the install is messed up…

3. Your player.log contains a few debug messages that seem to point to what you are describing… I am not a Unity programmer so I cannot tell for sure, so the EHG Devs will have to look at this (@HybridLyte) but the messages are not things I have noticed in my own or others player.logs… I have quoted a few that caught my eye below - obviously the devs can look in the player.log you provided for more. Remember I am not EHG dev so I could be barking up the wrong tree…

Cannot find prefab BurstOfFrostVFX in prefab list
UnityEngine.Logger:Log(LogType, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
PrefabList:getPrefab(String)
BurstOfFlameMutator:Mutate(GameObject, Vector3, Vector3, UseType)
AbilityObjectConstructor:constructAbilityObject(Ability, Vector3, Vector3, Boolean&, UseType, GameObject, Boolean, Boolean, AbilityMutator)
AbilityObjectConstructor:constructAbilityObject(Ability, Vector3, Vector3, UseType, GameObject, Boolean, Boolean, AbilityMutator)
RetaliateWhenParentHit:parentTookDamage(Single, HitEvents, Actor)
DamageActionWithAttacker:Invoke(Single, HitEvents, Actor)
ProtectionClass:ApplyDamage(DamageStats, DamageSource, Single, Actor, Boolean)
DamageStatsHolder:applyDamage(ProtectionClass)
MinionDeathAction:Invoke(Summoned)
HitDetector:hitActor(Actor)
  1. Your system looks ok (dxdiag) except for lots of errors related to Updating your system (see the end of the file)… CbsPackageServicingFailure2, WindowsWcpOtherFailure3, wuauclt.exe (windows auto-update service)… Considering what is built into Windows Update - like Directx etc - I would try and find out exactly what is causing these failures and make sure that they have/are resolved properly… You dont want some underlying issue on your machine (like a messed up hotfix or something) to be active when testing LE… thats not a great combination for debugging things…

If I have a moment, I’ll see if I can mess around with my sorceror and see if I get the same kind of issue or debug messages in the log…

1. It is significant drop to stutter when the spell hits
  2. I verified it when patch hit but I can try again on next run
  3. Yea, I keep getting failed installation on windows update since a few months ago. I have seen similar issue on the net and the outsourced Microsoft helpdesk doesn’t help. So nothing I can really do there short of full windows reinstall which I am not doing atm so I guess take my findings with a pinch of salt
  1. ok, then it should be hard to miss

2. ok.

3. Microsoft helpdesk… what a joke - my teenage son could provide more support than those idiots and all he knows about Windows is how to get his minecraft servers running. Try the system file checker process… normally it is not useful but in this instance it might find something to fix. Unfortunately Windows reinstalls are neccessary… I do one every year or two even if my system is working fine… Not that its relevant, but the only systems I have never had to do full OS reinstalls with are Linux based.

Yea, thanks. I have tried that one to no avail. I have no spare hdd to backup my files which is why I can’t do full reinstallation.

if you have the means and a decent uncapped internet connection, I have found “renting” an online backup service for a month (Dropbox etc) tends to do the trick in a pinch… :wink:

Lets see what the devs respond with…

Unfortunately, Thats not an option atm.

Also, I have verified the game files with no issue.

I forgot to mention that I also equipped Ucerni sphere and raindance. Unequipping Ucerni sphere does not improve the fps drop issue.

Also, forget what I said about soul cage. It seems to be quite random. I have seen it happening on Wengari raiders, wyrcroft something, rare tundra stalkers, imperial guard, ice elementals and rime giants as well (not evryone of them though).

Ok. thanks for the additional info…

I have been messing around with the ice converted build - actually quite fun but I am not sure if it will survive high corruption levels - irrelevant right now tho…

So far I can only really notice a degradation in fps when the static orbs explode - on my 1060, at very low settings, its barely a frame or two (and only noticeable because I am graphing it) … at medium settings its somewhere between 5-10fps… so significantly more noticeable at higher quality settings… not really experiencing a stutter tho, just an fps drop…

If nothing explodes then I can have maxed orbs orbiting and max small orbs included and it doesnt really affect general fps that I can see beyond the known issues of lots of mobs / effects proc’ing.

Cannot replicate the debug messages you have in your logs tho…

Its fun to play so I might run it a while longer and see what happens…

Might be useful if you uploaded your build to Dammits website using his import feature… Make it easier to replicate your setup more specifically.,.

sure, here’s the build. Note that the unique gloves and throne of ambition is new after I posted this bug thread and testing. Before that, I was testing with frostbite on hit idols and crit chance glove with frailty on hit.

It is a fun build and it’s cruising 130 corruption without me looking at the mono modifiers and having occasional FPS stutter so I reckon it will do quite well on higher corruption.

I am also thinking of re-installing LE and see if it would help my case

with steam file verification I doubt this is neccessary…but if you really wanted a new installation and if you have space for the duplicate install you could try the standalone player version… I doubt very much it will affect what you are experiencing tho - its basically the same game without the steam integration…

Thanks for the reports! We’ve been investigating some things with Cold Static Orb internally and we’ll bring this issue in with that. Appreciate all the digging done. :]

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.