First Impressions (from first hour of play)

Posting this here, rather than in the “feedback and suggestions” area, because that place seems to be used for very specific and focused feedback. These are mostly just general impressions.

I played this game for the first time last night, for one hour. For context of where I’m coming from: I know nothing about this game, the history and plans, or where it is at in development. I simply heard someone say there’s this ARGP that just added some big update, so I figured I might as well check it out while I wait for D4. Probably worth mentioning that I love the Diablo games, but usually bounce off other ARPGs because they ultimately just don’t deliver. (Just like, my opinion man, don’t crucify me.)

Anyways, since we only get one chance to have and share our first impressions, I thought I’d throw this out there, on the 0.0001% chance that anyone will care about any of it. If not, I’ll get over it. I’m only here because right there in the main menu, it asks me to share my feedback in the forums.

The most important bit of feedback is that while I would definitely say it was a net positive (I enjoyed more about the game than I disliked, for sure) I’m currently poised right on top of the fence as to whether I would want to play more or not. Clearly it’s a good game, but with limited time and a lot of competition, it needs to bridge that gap from “good” to “great” in time for the formal release (whenever that is) for this to be a slam dunk.

Beyond that, here’s a pretty random list of things that I stood out to me for whatever reason. Not prioritized or comprehensive or anything like that, so sorry for the rambling, but I don’t want to spend more time writing it up than I did playing it (even though the developers do deserve more well articulated and well reasoned feedback!)

I played “online” but solo (yes, I see the inevitable “why do you play solo in online” thread, I’ll get to that in a minute). I don’t know if (in solo) I was effectively locally hosting or if I was on a remote server, but either way there was no noticeable latency or issues, it was all very smooth and fine. The only odd thing was that it seemed to take a REALLY long time to establish the initial connection, but after that, it was fine. (Also, it was annoying to have to log out and in again to change characters.)

Player Characters
The quality and visual design of the player characters is… acceptable. They look interesting enough, and quite fine given the scale at which they will be viewed in game. But please, where’s the gender and customization options? Give me at least one or the other, at a minimum. Yes, I know characters are a lot of work, and more options = more work. But come on, it’s 2023. The current selection of options is, quite simply, below expectations. (Side note, I do see that you have an “appearance” tab and that you can presumably customize the look of your equipment, at least - that’s something!)

Player Classes
I don’t mean to be offensive, but, snore. Wake me up when you add something new. Sure, have your boring vanilla options for the unimaginative dullards that get excited about playing a Paladin or something, but for those of us that have been playing these games for decades, can we please have something a little more unique? It gets a little bit more interesting when I look at the subclasses, but still, out of 15 options or whatever there is, I’m still struggling to find more than 1 or 2 that sound exciting or fresh even on paper. I would love to see at least 1 base class and a few more subclasses that offer something beyond the usual fare.

Story, Quests, NPCs
Story, is there even any? Maybe not, and maybe that’s ok, for games that are focused more on repetitive grinding than linear story progression. All I saw in my session was a few NPCs with names, looks, VO (what little there was) and (at the briefest glance) dialogue options that were so bland and uninspired that I literally just ignored them all and walked past them. I only really interacted with the vendor, because he actually offered me something of interest.

If you do have a story (or progression is gated by story quests) then make me care about it, if you want me to look at it. Either elevate the characters, story, presentation etc. to the point where it is actually interesting enough to want to interact with it, or force the issue and stick me in cutscenes or something (as much as I hate that) just to force me to pay attention when I must. Otherwise, I’m just going to blow past these jokers until I hit some kind of wall that forces me to hunt around for a way to progress.

Skills and Abilities
This one is a mixed bag. The good, bad, and in between:

Good: from what little I saw of the skills and abilities (I started playing as “Primalist”), everything seems pretty cool and interesting. I am excited to unlock the skills, and they sound fun. I want to explore the extra abilities and skill trees and all that. While it’s too early to tell, I get the feeling that there will be more than enough options and that you can create a character to suit your preferences and play style.

Bad: execution of skills is very underwhelming. Nothing “feels” powerful or impactful. The skills are, objectively, very effective; the damage output and utility is all fine and good. But they feel “meh”. Obviously a lot of this is polish and it will hopefully come in time, but without extra attention to sounds, animations, effects, screen shake, etc., the actual gameplay experience is going to feel very flat.

In Between: I am on the fence with (what I have seen of) the skill system overall. On the one hand, it’s very basic (a few core abilities and a set of passives in some kind of skill tree). On the other hand, because we’re presented with base class + 3x subclasses at once, it feels a bit overwhelming and unfocused early on. Feels like it needs more thought as to how these things are presented, unlocked, or tutorialized. It’s too early for me to judge how deep and flexibile this will be in the end, in terms of the characters you can craft with it.

Inventory and Loot
I like inventory tetris, so the inventory design is fine for me. I like that (at the very start at least) you’ve used some restraint and there aren’t too many drops, so what you do get feels more interesting (rather than having a rain of useless items that you can’t pick up or use). I like that you can see an item’s properties without picking it up. I found it a bit hard to determine item quality - I can see that there is some coloring to help out, but it’s a bit too muted and indistinct (it doesn’t have to be a disco, but it wouldn’t hurt to emphasize it a bit more). Too early for me to judge this much, item art was fine, didn’t see anything too exciting in terms of item types and stuff, but again, too early to tell.

The one major annoyance: only having one set of equipment. Even D2 had a secondary equipment tab (eventually); don’t force me to manually and laboriously switch out gear if I wanted to (for example) go for sword/shield to a 2-hander, when we could just have another item tab and a hotkey to swap.

Controls
Everything feels pretty fine and fluid, with the exception of the LMB issue. The default control scheme isn’t totally intuitive, but it’s good enough, given that everything is labelled with the relevant key. I can see that everything can be remapped, and there’s controller support, so it looks like everything is pretty good here!

Enemies
I am putting this section in here because I guess there are enemies in the game, but I can’t say I remember anything particularly good or bad about them. Or much of anything at all. I guess I didn’t see any particularly noteworthy enemy characters, abilities or behaviors - neither good nor bad. The few times I paid any attention to the nameplates, I was pleased to note that the enemies had been reasonably well named and all that, so there’s at least some flavor there. Either I need to pay more attention, or the enemies are just “ok”.

Environment
I don’t really know if this is all bespoke handcrafted levels, or some/all are randomly generated? I did re-play the start with some other classes, and everything looked the same, but maybe that changes later. The environments look good and have some level of interactivity, so that’s nice. I didn’t see any instances of the layouts making any real difference in combat so far. If there is no randomization, as we know, it will significantly decrease replayability, but since I don’t even know what the go is yet with all that, I will reserve judgement.

General Presentation
Overall the level of quality of the art, music, UI etc. feels pretty good! Not absolutely stellar in any department, but certainly not super lacking anywhere. As first mentioned, it does feel like we need to go from “good” to “great” in some cases, but it’s on the way. Design of the UI is generally attractive and intuitive enough. It feels like the baseline of everything going in is good, but there’s some polish and refinement that still needs to be done.

Design Features
OK, this was the thing that impressed me the most, and makes me so much more confident in the design team, and the direction for this game. Seeing player-favoring features like being able to resurrect a dead HC character in softcore, or play “solo account found” so you can share items with your own solo characters, makes me believe that the designers understand what players need and want, and/or are listening to their feedback. Obviously giving players literally what they ask for isn’t always the best solution, but in cases like these, where the benefits outweigh the downsides, it’s great to see some quality of life stuff that we’ve all been wanting for years.

Random Annoyances
Just a few small things that bothered me.

• The first thing I wanted to do is turn off MY OWN NAME on the UI. This is just so bad for so many reasons. Dude, especially when I’m playing solo, I don’t need you to tell me my own name, and I certainly don’t want it to display my account name rather than my character name (which bizarrely, I can’t find anywhere in the interface - the character name). I can’t find any hotkey or option to disable this name. Even when turning off the HUD/UI (not that I could play like that anyway) leaves this annoying and pointless option persistently on the screen. I almost rage quit right then and there, because this was so dumb.
  • Hello, 1996 called and said WTF, why can’t I both attack and move with left click? Come on, man. The bizarre omission of this basic feature made basic combat feel unnecessarily clunky.
  • I can’t seem to ESCAPE out of some menus and panels. This feels somewhat inconsistent and arbitrary, and it’s SUPER annoying to have to (sometimes) close something with the mouse button, rather than just hammering ESC to back out. It’s just an unnecessary point of friction.

So that’s all I can think of for my random first impressions. It’s a lot of superficial stuff, I can’t offer any deep insight based on just an hour of play, but again, first impressions matter.

Obviously it looks like I’m dumping on the game but that’s not the case, like I said at the start, it was an overall net positive, and ultimately a lot of the stuff I complained about here are things that don’t matter in the long term, if the gameplay is there - it’s just a matter of retaining players long enough to learn if that is the case or not.

2 Likes

+1

Especially when you play another genre than yours.
Feels weird.

+1

Got the same question using a melee character.
It don’t get that feeling with a ranged character.

Try

https://reshade.me/

Enable these shaders:

And the game will look better (sharper).

You will find that Diablo Immortal and Diablo 4 got inspired by Last Epoch.

Besides, some Last Epoch skills are very creative.
My favorite is Wandering Spirits from the Necromancer.
They act like mobile mines.

Time travel.

They did not activate the woke option ?

Joke aside, the most important thing in this kind of game is skills and itemization.

2 Likes

I def agree with the impact, something as simple as making crits look good and give a little screen shake could already bump up the feel.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s it, even subtle changes can have a big effect. This stuff is hard to get right, what’s the saying? The last 10% of the game is 90% of the work? I really don’t know where the team is at, in terms of their opinion on this issue, and what work (if any) is still left to be done, but that’s why I bring it up.

It’s a critically important issue (much more than most of this waffle I posted), because it influences not just your first impressions, but how it really feels to play the game, even in the long term. We all want to feel like a boss and have meaty hit impacts and spells and all that. At the moment, it’s letting the game down because the skills themselves are actually very interesting, but they feel underwhelming when used.

Thank you for your reply!

Oh wow, interesting, thanks for the tip, it’s worth a shot. I see even fake HDR in your list there, what a wonderful world of technology we live in! :astonished:

I have no doubt they’re borrowing the best bits from their competitors (if they’re smart!) so that doesn’t surprise me. To be clear, this is my off-the-cuff honest first impressions, based literally mostly on what I saw on the character selection screen. It’s not an in depth review. I am not here to dump on the game - I like it and I respect what the team has built here, that’s why I’m taking the time to give feedback, rather than just walking away.

I just look at the options and see Paladin, Rogue, Mage, Warrior, Warlock (basically) and it’s really only just a couple of the subclasses that even sound a bit more interesting on paper. I’m just tired of all the usual cliches (and I’d mostly extend that feedback to the Diablo games as well), and it feels a bit lazy and unimaginative. To their credit, it’s not as clear cut here, since they’re combining ideas to some degree (e.g. shaman/druid, warlock/necro), but let’s be real, that’s to reduce the number of unique character models and animation sets, because that stuff is very expensive to make.

I can understand that it may not be feasible to give us brand new classes or anything like that. It can be hard to differentiate it when you really break it down, I mean what do you have, defensive melee, offensive melee, physical ranged, magic ranged, whatever. Even those share some of the same characteristics. To design something that both has truly different gameplay (and is also enjoyable and easy to grok) is obviously very challenging.

But you don’t have to do that. All I’m even wanting is a bit more of a unique flavor. It can come from the visual design and theming of the character, or some kind of point of difference in the skills, whatever.

Some examples from another game: look at Guild Wars. They had some interesting variations on the usual stuff. Ritualist, for example, is essentially some kind of mage, it just happens to have killer visual design and a really whacky and “out there” implementation of spells (maybe a little too “out there”, but at least it’s fresh). Paragon was another example. I mean it was basically just a javazon if you want to be really reductive, but by wrapping it up in a coherent and appealing theme, and focusing tightly on that fighting style, made it stand out a bit more than usual.

For this game, if time travel is a central concept, why does that not extend to the character class design? I would want to see at least 1 new base class that focuses on that to some degree. I can see maybe there are some hints of that in the ‘Void Knight’, but not using that as a basis for a brand new base class seems like a missed opportunity.

Truly, the specific skills (and the game design in general) seems great. And at the end of the day, that’s what really matters. I can see that once you dig deeper, it gets more interesting. My main complaint about character classes and looks is a somewhat superficial take based on my initial reaction, but as I called out in my original post as well, the actual skills seem cool and interesting.

I understand and agree with you, but still, at the end of the day there is a minimum bar you need to hit. It may only be an ARPG, but there’s still an RP in there. We create characters, name them, play dress-ups with them… give us some more choices about what we want that character to look and feel like. It doesn’t matter what reasons people have for changing the genders, but ideally the choice should be there.

Just one example: what if I want to play a mage, but I don’t want to be an old guy? I’m already an old guy IRL, don’t make me play it in game! :cry:

1 Like

That’s a known issue the devs are working on.

The devs have said that any other program manipulating the client is against the ToS.

There’s a 300+ thread about it. The TLDR is that they want to do it but it’s expensive and wasn’t budgetted for for 1.0.

Reshade only acts on the render (post-processing).

Companies like Blizzard, with the same ToS, tolerate it.

It has been so massively used in ARPGs that when they released D2 Resurrected, Blizzard implemented a sharpening option directly into the game. :joy:

I used reshade a very long time ago with LE. We discussed it also on these forums.

It didn’t seem as something the devs are against back in the days.

Just back then I had some issues with LE not loading or crashing and I identified Reshade as the cause.

1 Like

I know, I’m just saying what the devs have said regarding this.

Fair enough. I mean I pretty much expected that to be the case, but still, you gotta voice your opinion, since our collective feedback will presumably influence which features get prioritized and when, to some degree.

Thanks for the information!

I wouldn’t think that would apply to this thing though. I would assume it’s not modifying anything or really interacting with the game client. Is it any different to using your NVIDIA or AMD control panel app to modify the image?

Admittedly I’m clueless as to how it works though, I’m just making assumptions.

Ahh yeah now that you mention it, I vaguely remember that! I think there might have even been some people using it to make D3 look more gritty back in the day, when there was so much controversy over the colors and rainbows thing. :joy:

1 Like

I actually noticed after a while that there was a “screen shake intensity” setting in the gameplay options. Which was set pretty low by default. I cranked it up to the max. It helps, to some degree. There’s more to the equation than just screen shake, of course, but anything is better than nothing.

1 Like

Feel like it took longer to write this post than you spent playing the game.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.