Firebrand Range Detection

When gaining stacks of Firebrand, its range increases. There is an option in the gameplay menu called “Move to melee attack enemies that are out of range”. This works great when you have no stacks of Firebrand built up, but it does not function correctly after you gain stacks. The problem is, I believe in many common situations, the option mentioned does not realize Firebrand has increased range, causing the character to move into range as if you had no stacks and Firebrand still had its default (0-stacks) range. I have also found that if you attack a close enemy first and hold down the Firebrand button and attack a far away enemy, the game recognizes the current range and does not move you closer if you are in range. I have also found that the option always ignores the Firebrand stacks range increase if you have issued a move input and interrupt it with a Firebrand input, causing you to move into the default attack range. If you do the same thing, but cancel the move input by left clicking your character, and then doing the Firebrand input, it only sometimes moves you into the default range. I don’t know if any of this is intentional design, but I have a feeling it is not functioning properly due to the unique aspect of a dynamic range for a melee ability. The issue if “fixed” by disabling the option, but it does mean you have to manually move into range unlike any of the other comparable melee abilities.

I believe this is intentional.

I can see how sometimes this can be undesirable. If you do not like how this setting works, I would post under feedback section on forums.

If you do decide to post a feedback thread, then you could also mention Flurry’s Shockwave node, which increases its melee range. It does also not change how “move into range” works.

I went and looked at Flurry, and you’re right, it does just ignore the extra range from the shockwaves when moving your character into range. I also looked at Puncture’s Cross Forward node that increases range by 30%, and it too was having the same interaction. I thought this interaction was due to some wonkyness with how Firebrand’s stacks make its range constantly change, but no, it just does it whenever the range is increased, even if the increase is permanent. I have a feeling the option never takes into consideration any multipliers or changes to the range and only considers the “base” range. Anyways, thank you both for your responses, I’ll go make feedback post.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.