Factions: MG + CoF feedback in the current state and issues + potential solutions. (Beware long post)

The problem is that they’ve had plenty of interviews after launch, and even before that.

Let’s suppose they did decide to do that and announced this one. You know there would be a chorus of “Oh, you’re only announcing this one because it’s AaronRPG and you’re favoring your shyster” or similar ugly remarks that were sure to come up.

But let’s assume they weather that and keep doing it. If they ever grow as big as we all hope they do, there will come a time where there will be dozens of interviews at a time, especially at high hype times. If they fail to announce one, or decide they only want to announce the big ones, another chorus will follow.

Why would they want to place themselves in the middle of that clusterf***. I’d understand if it was industry standard and they were more or less obligated to do so. But it’s not and I don’t think it would be beneficial to them to start it.

These types of news should be either followed in the several media channels by who’s interested or collected by fans not affiliated with EHG. Maybe someone wants to create a site with links to interviews and expose themselves to all that noise.

But over time, I don’t think it would be a net positive for EHG and would only bring inevitable criticism of favoritism/negligence.

EDIT: Ultimately, I do think the forums are the best place for this information, but more in the form of new topics by the community like “Cool new interview with Mike” or “Judd addresses the road ahead”.

The answer is simple though? Link some choice ones in-between when nothing else is going on? EHG isn’t a GGG after all, they don’t have half-weekly ‘somethings’ happening.

So why not fill that time-void where it seems like nothing at all is going on with linking 1-2 of the ‘outside’ stuff? Like ‘here you have a example of Mike’s gaming streams where he talks about LE, check it out!’ or ‘we had this interview and revealed a few things for the upcoming league!’. If definitive stuff is inside that is a nice ‘teaser’ for the future, so overall definitely something worthwhile.

Not needed to present every single one… but choice ones would definitely be nice for example… unless the news section would get cluttered… which we don’t have the problem though, there’s more then enough ‘space’ in-between to actively provide a few words and a link or two.

I definitely think they should have linked Mike’s streams in the forums. Those are in-house and useful.

As for just posting choice ones, it will only lead to people saying they play favorites by highlighting this or that one rather than someone else or their own channel/podcast/whatever.
There’s a reason no studio really does this and that’s because it brings a lot of negativity with it. Unfortunately, that’s the reality of the internet.

And you have only to look at their posts on the news forum to see a lot of negative criticism on almost every issue, even on stuff that has nothing to do with the original post.

Does the ‘favoritism’ aspect matter though? Their company, their choice what they wanna present us with openly.

They could just develop silently in the background… and actually pushing people they like to work with into the forefront is also not bad, if they align with their morals it makes their job easier.

Negative criticism is always present, that’s a part of the job. Create anything and people will dismantle it in all ways possible, always. Either don’t interact with the consumers hence (which isn’t possible as a game-dev yet since we don’t have the ‘recipe’ down 100%), learn to handle and even make use of it or don’t pick said job if that downside is more then you can handle.
There’s not more options available besides ‘suffering through it’… and that’s generally not the goal after all.

GGG does communicate on some of its interviews on its news page. The point is that if they do an event to communicate with the community, they do communicate about it so that the community that is interested in the information gets it. I think many of us that do check frequently the News parts of the website are missing on a lot of actual news because we simply don’t know it’s out there.

All that being said, it’s not a huge issue if they don’t communicate all that. It’s already quite cool that Mike does those streams, and I certainly wouldn’t want to demotivate them from communicating at all by feeding them excessive negativity or holding them accountable for something they talk about that they end up changing their mind about.

Just, if there’s supposed to be somewhere where I can get news about the game that isn’t in the News part of the website, I’d like to know it (and ideally, I’d like it to be linked in the News part of the website so that it’s visible to those that are interested).

4 Likes

Ok, I do see your point and I grant you that it’s a valid one. Yes, it’s something they could do. I still feel like it would be a net loss on the long term, but I might be wrong.

However, there really wasn’t much difference in content between this interview and Mike’s friday streams: you got 2 teasers, he answered a bunch of questions, most of them vaguely.
I only mentioned it here because he did talk about factions and I thought it was an interesting tidbit to add here.

You keep losing me here. It’s a marketing/customer communication decision. News items they feel are news-worthy or are a boon to customer communication they should put in News.

Period. Hard Stop. There is no ‘but’, ‘and’, or follow on sentence. If it suits their purpose, do it, if not, don’t.

I think you are jumping too quickly to, ‘they are going to communicate they are doing this forever and ever for each and every time one of their folks farts’, and … I think you are the only one thinking that.

I also think, perhaps incorrectly, that maybe their marketing/communication ‘department’, is one or multiple peoples part time job (or that they contract with a marketing firm for big stuff).

1 Like

I would assume what the devs tell us is mostly meant to be told to us. People who have no ability to communicate information legally would be leaking, which in plain terms would get them fired. People always act in a way that wont harm them. Aka no one is dropping something that is even remotly close to a leak.

I have no idea what you think I said, but I didn’t say that.

Just expanding on what you where saying to him.

OH. heh, that context makes it make so much more sense, :grin:, thanks.

1 Like

Finally added the comments about the interview in the main post. Busy days and a 1 1/2 hour long interview with… 5 minutes of faction-based content is quite the time investment at one piece sadly :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like