EHG stance on Autocast

I don’t understand it either. The only conclusion I can come to is that a substantial number of people have come here from games like POE, where the game is almost exclusively won or lost in the “character planning/setup” stage, rather than the “gameplay acts and execution” stage, and some of them have been tricked by the design of those games into thinking that “load up auras, CWDT chains, and macro’d flasks, reap the benefits, and forget they exist” counts as gameplay and decision making.

1 Like

The devs have done nothing to stop this, any skill that has less than 10 sec CDR will be autoused

Dont code skills this way, its pretty damn simple

On the usual shitting on PoE - apart from using multiple flasks on 1 hotkey - which btw GGG removed flask spam now as you can use them automatically under conditions theres really low instances of people using AHK to spam skills, almost nil tbh.

GGG also gave a nice feature to use instant cast skills on Left Mouse

Last 2 leagues in PoE all I do is use my main skill, a secondary skill, a movement skill and a ‘buff’ skill. So thats 4 skills right away, some builds in LE can barely fit in 5 skills as you just dont want/need them due to game design theres nothing fitting. Its bad to have 4 skills with cooldowns. This isnt an MMO…

As far as im concerned this game hasnt grown at all, PoE on the contrary once again has provided more features/other ways to play. You can still spam flasks if you want but why would you if you dont need to, thats the philosophy brought to this game “WHY DO IT MANUALLY IF I DONT NEED TO” once you find an answer to that maybe this game can move forward

He he, that’s always funny.
The internet is too small to have TWO good games at the same time, people need to convince themselves they are playing the one and only valuable game around…
There is: ONE incredibly amazing game (the one they play at the moment), and LOTS of complete rubbish. No middle ground.
In six months time, the same folks will be on another game’s forum explaining why Last Epoch is absolute garbage.

1 Like

In the end smooth builds such as vk autobomber, eq werebear or smite on hit builds encounter great popularity, because many players want it.

The question is, how do you get a build that feels smooth, is not clunky and isn’t high maintenance in a sense that buttons need to be clicked at specific times. Right now you can auto-cast skills (holy aura, anomaly) or proc skills via passives, items, idols or other skills (smite, earthquake, thorn armor). You can also proc on hit or on being hit.

If you remove auto-cast you simpy limit ways to create desirable builds.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s a known psychological bias, I don’t remember the name. It’s a tendancy to consider and really think that, if we have chosen something, this something was the best choice possible and all other choices were garbage. (we could not chose wrong, could we?)
So if someone is playing PoE, it can only be because PoE is the best game. And if next month this same person plays LE, it’s because LE is the best.

2 Likes

I very strongly disagree with this point.

As a general convention in LE (and for sake of argument): a character has five skill slots available to them. I consider the intended goal of this design is to create a limitation in which the player strives to gain as much value from each of those five choices as they can. I also consider EHG’s intention is for value to be realized by obtaining power with active interaction derived from those choices, rather than by obtaining automation or convenience.

Reducing the ability to automate gameplay is absolutely not the same as reducing player agency. In fact, I find it is quite the opposite. When automation is the “best” way to play, that means there is more value in less interaction, which is a failure in the design. It should be the case that more active participation in the gameplay yields more power, and that any automation, if available, means a cost of a meaningful amount of that power.

I think EHG’s key point is the desire for meaningful active gameplay when it comes to skill usage. A skill that is always best used any time it’s available and therefore “should” be automated is not representing meaningful active gameplay.

1 Like

…Mike gave their answer to that. It’s in the opening quote of this post - Because the skill has been designed so that it’s better to cast it manually, with a decision making process, than with numlock/AHK and no thought at all. They’ve said from the beginning that they consider it a design problem - they’ve designed some skills in a way that incentivize people to autocast them. They’ve not made any moves to block people from autocasting. They want to change the design of skills that get autocast so that the best way to play those skills isn’t to just autocast them. They want to incentivize us to cast manually.

Some people are reacting to that stance like it’s a personal attack or something and I don’t get it. It says right in that answer that they don’t think players are the problem, because they’re just responding to the design of the skill.

And there is no difference between crafting trigger conditions onto your flasks that results in them being used constantly with no thought from you, and using an AHK script that does the same thing, except that the former is permitted and the latter is technically not. So, that isn’t a particularly relevant clarification because it’s still subject to the same criticism.

Or maybe people can play and support both games, enjoy them for different reasons, and have different things they are critical of and appreciative of in each?

If anything, it seems to me that you’re forgetting that that sword you’re swinging cuts both ways - Because experience has shown that you can’t be critical of POE as part of comparison to LE (or any other ARPG) or its differing design goals without getting bombarded by people defending it by attacking you with cheap accusations based on infographic level understanding of cognitive biases.

-

Some people like to play autobomber walking simulators in their ARPGs and that’s fine. People are allowed to like different things. EHG has decided it doesn’t want that to be what their ARPG is, and it happens that I agree with them, and that should also be fine. LE (or any other game for that matter) does not need to fulfill every desire to still be a good game.

2 Likes

Houlala’s comment was sarcasm.

People can play/enjoy both and many probably do, but there’s a certain aspect of human psychology that encourages tribalism.

I understand that design philosophy, but I don’t need to like it. Some players simply prefer less player interaction in an ARPG. Also procing skills is also just another way of automation, which in some cases involves slightly more decision making.

I mean I guess I understand how setting up my third ability to cast on cooldown because it has a three second cooldown, it orbits me, and it costs less than my mana regen because I used mana reduction and mana regen runes to make it that way doesn’t seem like a decision, but it is. Its not like I can do that with every skill either, like I don’t need to cast smite on cd, don’t need to cast Teleport on cd. I don’t think the ability I’m using is “broken”, and I had to design my build to get there.

Or I can use Aura of decay, and press a button, and walk around with an aura, that decays.

Or I can use bone curse and turn it into an aura that orbits me, that i leave on, most of the time.

I mean there are literally spells you have designed to be press for effect, that i don’t need to constantly press e every 5 seconds to feel like im engaged. I’m engaged because I built my character around how I want to play it.

I’m not saying that Autocast is good OR bad ( I personally enjoy it), but I am saying that it being a bad design or a flawed way to play isn’t realistic.
It limits design of abilities imo.
I mean you literally have a node to autocast a spell on cd (Enchant Weapon) and have a post denegrating Autocast as your stance on the design…

the game needs more hotkeys and or autocast very badly!

that makes zero sense, players should be able to limit choice if they want to or use whatever skills they want not be limited to 5. This really hurts the movement skills and i feel the game is handicapping its potential by not allowing any hotkeys it is a bad call in my opinion

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.