Death penalty

“Presenting an argument” against an idea is not a requirement for expressing a dislike of it. This isn’t high school debate club. If all @Shtrak wanted to say was that he thinks your idea is stupid, that is just an impolite way of saying that they don’t think the dev team should add the feature, and you don’t get to try to gatekeep people from disagreeing with you by saying “If you don’t like it just don’t vote on it”.

Your feeling is wrong. It is known that Hardcore players are the minority, and by miles. It’s a niche gameplay mode with niche appeal and it always has been.

This is where your sentence should have stopped. You have no knowledge of the code base. Any opinion you form on the difficulty of adding a given feature has no basis and therefore no worth. I do not fall into this trap because it is my position that any amount of time, period, spent on a feature that gives players as big a middle finger when they die as you want to is wasteful when Hardcore and Masochist already exist.

The experience curve in Last Epoch now seems to be gradual.
But In this kind of games usually require a large amount of experience at level 90~95+.

I think death penalty is one of the reasons why soft-core players get bored and lose motivation, because they lose all the experience they’ve accumulated over several days of playing 1-2 hours a day with just one death.
(Avid players won’t care about that.)
On the other hand, avoiding such deaths by updating your gears and techniques is also one of the most enjoyable aspects of this kind of game.

However, just like the Level, gears cannot be updated so easily in the latter half of the game. In other words, we can’t get gears easily that are stronger than the current ones.

At lV 90~95+, the level will up a long period of time (even more so receiving death penalty).
In spite of this, we will only receive one skill point.
Whether this is worth the reward for the time spent.

Personally, I think it’s better to have a death penalty (without newly splitting play-mode.) I think the high level band should be an area that we can’t reach unless we keep our concentration and play, even if the character made in softcore-mode.

However, in the first place I think there should be some kind of additional fascinating reward for leveling up at the higher levels band, because it takes too many time.
That makes us we want to level up more even if we receive penalty sometimes.

For example, 1 time key access exalted gear vaults, or receive +2 passive skill points at level 97, 100, or can access hidden paths or nodes on active skills, something.
Just my two cents.

I think that LE sets itself in a fine spot without a death penalty.

There is currently quite a few ways to “push” your character, and to perfect it. level 100 isnt one of those, and thats perfectly fine. There is no level ladder, so it makes perfect sense that its not really an achievement, thats what arena is for. Corruption also serves as a way to test and push your characters limits.

I have a nearly level 100 in LE that I simply didnt take to 100 because I got bored and hit my limit in arena. Adding a death penalty would have not drastically hurt my climb to 100, but it would have 100% made me annoyed. When I die in LE I still go “wow that sucked, I messed up” I have lost out on some exalted and set piece nodes I was farming because I got careless and died.

I think that is more then enough penalty. I actually just close Path of exile for example when I die in that game because I just lost 6 hours of progress because I have had a few beers enjoying my gaming time.

Progression to level cap should feel like a fun journey not a annoying slog of trying to play frame perfect to prevent losing hours of progress.

The devs have expressed wanting to make hitting level cap harder, and I think the proper way to do that is to just curve the exp. Id much rather spend an extra 10 days getting to level cap, then being hard stuck at level 97 because of an experience penalty on death.

Right now it is good as it is. It qould absolutely hate a death penalty as it qould discourage me from playing, why would you punish a Player for dying. So stupid. Was jy far the worst thing in POE.

Dude.

I can totally give you a metric that 100% disproves that… Show me the money numbers (and the money)!!

Not that I enjoy playing devil’s advocate, but the devs have previously said that they want to add a death penalty…

1 Like

It will be divided more when seasons start.

Awesome thank you! Really happy to hear that the devs seem to be on the same page as me!

Technically, they said that before they implemented the Mono reward loss…
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure it’s the general consensus that we want a death penalty anymore. Some do, but we don’t have an official stanse on it. Since those thoughts in old posts we have introduced the loss of potential rewards in the monolith, which kind of acts like a death penalty, without being too punishing. It is very unlikely we’ll introduce an exp death penalty.
There might be something we can do in he campaign, but in general people don’t like dying as you’re set back a bit to a previous checkpoint or have to start over a boss fight.

10 Likes

Having a harsher death penalty ruins the sense of experimentation and guarantees that people will only try the OP builds that have already been proven instead of trying various skills and providing feedback as to what works and why the other things don’t work. Think of the outcries early in the patch when various builds got nerfed too hard, and builds that used to be able to breeze through content now have a larger struggle. Add a larger death penalty, and you get a really enraged player base who simply stops playing.

This idea sounds especially ludicrous when LE is a game based off difficult timeline boss battles. I think I died 6-7 times trying Empowered Herot for the first time - I had a hard time finding the various attack patterns and finding ways to avoid the biggest damage dealers. Trying a boss like that with a harsh XP penalty? I would have given up on the game on the first try. Instead, I tried multiple times and found a way to defeat the boss.

2 Likes

This is an amazingly good point.

Then I at least hope, that each new game mode beyond MoF and Arena will have it’s own death penalty, that really fits the game mode.

I like the idea of having different penalties in different game modes/systems

2 Likes

I could get behind that. Options are always a good thing. While community splitting isn’t a concern of mine (I play ARPGs alone), options that avoid that are even better.

1 Like

Losing my reward chest and timeline stability in the monolith are enough of a death penalty for me, since they equate to loss of opportunity (equipment I wanted) and time (need to run an extra node to restore stability).
If additional death penalties are implemented in the game, I would prefer them to be specific to the endgame mode you are playing as part of their design.

Many things have already been mentioned here in terms of “pro & contra”.

How about alternative penalties?

a) The player who just died loses xx% of his total gold supply in the chest.

b) The player who just died will not receive any more experience points for xxx minutes. [So at least he doesn’t lose anything].

c) The just died player loses “randomly” a single one of his skill points distributed in his active skills, he then has to level it up again as usual.

d) The just died player loses “randomly” one of his skill points distributed in his passive skill trees, he has to reactivate it with gold afterwards.

e) The just died player loses his equipment on the spot, but he can run there again and take his equipment (Diablo 2 says hello).

Combinations (and more) are also conceivable.

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

a) bad idea - there will be plenty of gold after some time and there is probability near certainty that you die no mather what you are doing with increasing play time

b) stay AFK in town - solved

c) bad idea - what will you do if you randomly loss build defining skill point

d) better than c) as gold sink but you have to keep some gold in case of random death

e) this is feature that I hate most in D2

First of all:
These are all just suggestions for discussion, so always breathe easily through your underpants.

Here you contradict yourself.

Could also apply only in combat or monster contact. Be creative for once!
→ You can also do that with the “bumming around in the city” if you don’t see that as a punishment [and maybe several times a day].

Yes, you just had bad luck once, that’s why it’s random.

And we liked that very much, was always exciting for the friends to pull the cart out of the mud!

I forgot to write a) bad idea with % - …

You quite yourself in rest of post so have a nice monolog :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.