Damage over time

Is this your way to say “Erm… ok, you guys are right!” ? :kissing_heart:

They can leech as general leech does apply to all damage dealt, not only hits.

I think you missed an important part of the second sentence. No, I’m saying that just thinking of “classic DoT builds” as skills that have the DoT tag is shortsighted.

Yes, but general leech is very rare. There’s 1 unique amulet that gives it to all classes, the Lich mastery has it (as a mastery bonus as well as up at the top of the tree) and the Elementalist has 3 nodes for it & I think that’s pretty much it.

Do you think it is just as shortsighted as thinking of DoT builds mainly as ailment builds because somebody dislikes classic DoT skills?

Nobody is saying that Rogue doesn’t have strong DoT potential. And I’ve no intention to argue about what class has the better DoT builds. I just wanted you to get the reasoning behind the asumption that Lich has very good and easy DoT potential. You don’t need any specific or build enabling gear. You just pick a skill and you’re running a DoT build. Easy. Whether you like that playstyle or not has nothing to do with it.

Forge Guard btw. also has good DoT potential (bleed/ignite). But would you point at him as a reference for DoT builds?

I never said that I thought of DoT builds mainly as ailment builds. I also never said that I didn’t think the Lich didn’t have good potential as a DoT class (too many negatives there, I think it still works) I’m not disagreeing that the Lich doesn’t have good potential for DoT builds, I just don’t think it’s a good idea to pidgeonhole yourself into thinking that unless a class has skills with the DoT tag then it’s not likely to be successful with a DoT build.

This was the text I took issue with, 'cause it’s flat out wrong. While the Rogue may not have as many skills that have the DoT tag, she has way more passives that give her chance to apply DoTs (9 if my mental arithmetic is correct, out of 72 passive nodes 12.5%, compared to 3 + 6 that increase DoT damage out of 76, 4% for ailment chance & 8% for ailment damage nodes) whereas because the Lich is more focussed on skills providing the ailment the Lich is more focussed on passives that buff ailment damage.

And, every Rogue skill has some nodes that relate to ailments. Every single one! Even the buffs like Smoke Bomb (ignite) & Decoy (ignite & poison). So to say that the Acolyte has better access to DoT skills/passives/items is just plain wrong. Even if you don’t want to look at DoTs from gear, every skill can be made to apply DoTs from within the skill tree compared to “just” 5 on the Acolyte.

Isn’t there one negative to much in this sentence?

But who said this? Did I ever say that Rogue hasn’t viable DoT builds? I don’t get what we are arguing here? :sweat_smile:

All I did was explaining that I personally devide DoT build ailment based and DoT builds skill based. (That’s just my perspective on DoT) I never said one or the other is better or more viable. Just because I put the Rogue into the first category, doesn’t mean I think she can’t do a dot build. I’m ran both, poison a d bleed builds on a marksman. Very viable.

Also, just for completing the debate content wise: The Lich doesn’t only have DoT skills. She also has ailment support in many skills, from ignite (more niche) over bleed and very strong poison branches of skills and passives. In addition theres plague and damned.

I think you underestimate the DoT power of Lich.

But let’s end this here. This seems like a nerd battle about what superhero would win :laughing:

The only way this can be solved is by a duell. So I challenge you, Llama! When PvP gets added we will decide what DoT build is better!

:boxing_glove:
:skull_and_crossbones:

As I quoted, Grimlock said that the Acolyte has easier access to DoT skills/passives/items than rogue. Which is just wrong.

And just because the skill doesn’t have the DoT tag doesn’t mean it’s not a DoT skill.

True! Always easy to make a scene on something which works bad but talking about its assets is very important too.
While I prefer the PoE’s DoT scaling mechanism, I do agree with you that I’ve more fun with the LE’s DoT gameplay.

Although going only on increasing your DoT makes your DpS super high, I always felt it’s kinda “boring” especially against big HP encounters. Offensively, it also makes your stuff too much focused on having more and more DoT scaling and nothing else.
Imo, DoT stacks mechanic works very well 'cause it allows a more nervous gameplay as if you’d play a non-DoT (in other games) build. In addition, it increases the difficulty in the way you setup your gear because you should include more stats like Attack Speed.
And as there are independent of one another, it means you don’t need to deal your biggest hit and wait 'till death (meanwhile using the lesser damage skills are pointless as long as the biggest is still doing its work), allowing other skills to be still effective.

On the other hand, my main issue with LE DoT is the way they scale along with skills, as I mentioned it in my former post. Basically, it’s not a cataclysm but it’s not something I can stay mute either.
The thing I’m pointing out is this not quite clear. Of course, there’s a forum for people to help one another and I don’t forget the game still remains a Beta version.
Obviously, skill trees show up damage modifiers nodes with hit damage only so it makes sense that the other ones include DoT.
But apart from testing, how could I know Poison DoT from Acid Flask don’t benefit from Throwing Attack Damage on gear or passives? Because all DoT have a Base damage as well as Melee/Range/etc. meaning each one scales from their own source (DoT with DoT, Melee with Melee, Melee not with DoT).

Easy, does it?! Well, not quite as the rule doesn’t apply to skills (Skills with DoT, DoT with Skills).
For example, Multishot_Giant Slayer
Current state = “…but Multishot deals significantly less damage (-80%)”
My idea = “…but you deal significantly less damage while using Multishot (-80%)”
And even like that I might be wrong as it would mean even damages from the other skills will get the -80% less damage as well while I’m using Multishot. For example, nodes like Blade Shield from Shurikens, making shurikens spinning around you for few seconds, allow you to deal damage with both skills at the same time.

That makes me wonder if “X% increased damage per arrow with Multishot” stat works on Multishot’s DoT too. I think the answer is Yes but just want to be sure.
In this case, is there a way to explain clearer in game that:
-Added Type Damage only increases same Type Damage? (Yeah, sounds obvious and already there but maybe add a list of all types which shows Skills Modifiers aren’t counted on)
-Skills’ modifiers has also an influence on DoT base damage or are not considered as Type Modifiers? (Well, global means what it means but just to be a counterpart of Type Damage)
Or maybe it’s just me…

To be fair, I would like a tiny mix between both mechanisms.
Have an aggressive playstyle during the fight but keep a more understandable calculation damage scaling.

I struggle agreeing with this. A skill like Drain Life is a true DoT skill. Making any old skill/attack apply an ailment does not make it a DoT skill, just a mechanism to apply an ailment.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.