Curiosity-driven question about drop rates

DISCLAIMER: Provoking a storm in the comments by this post is NOT my intention. The following is just my thoughts and curiosity, nothing else. Please treat it as such.

Greetings.

I ran into this video yesterday in which the author was speaking about online/gacha games and their shady shenanigans about live drop-rate “adjustments”. The author has mentioned Last Epoch specifically (timestamps: 7:33 and 8:25) in the context of him failing to find decent bow upgrades for quite a while after getting his then-current one; which prompted the question whether what he ran into has any relation to the primary topic of said video or it’s just RNG at play and nothing else.

From what I observe based on my own experience, I think it’s safe to say that LE has absolutely nothing to do with the subject discussed in this video and there’re no other factors at play outside of the game’s own RNG routines. The question is, what’s EHG’s take/stance on this info/data?

RNG is gonna RNG. I think people sometimes just underestimate how small the gap is between what they have and what would be an upgrade. Or they filter too tight. If the only upgrade is literally an exalted item then you have such a narrow gap of acceptable items that is incased in a giant pool of possible exalted item drops. They added ways to target farm uniques and now exalted items(and set items if that’s your thing). So I’d say it’s about as easy as it is going to get.

I saw this a few days ago actually. It’s cool that we’re getting used as examples in general video game videos now. It’s a little unfortunate that this is the topic we’re getting used for because it does plant that seed of doubt, even though he says that he doesn’t think LE is doing that.

Last Epoch doesn’t do anything like this at all. We don’t ever use any RNG smoothing or artificial adjustments based on play patterns. RNG is RNG.

The only “trick” we use to get people to play longer is to make the game better.

4 Likes

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated. :saluting_face: