Critical strike mechanics question - multiple crit stacks?

In this game, it’s possible to go over 100% critical strike chance. Does this provide any benefit? E.g., crit multiplier can be applied twice between 100 to 200% crit chance, thrice for 200% to 300%, etc. This would seem intuitive when the vast majority of ailments apply multiple stacks when chances exceed 100%.

Welcome to the forum…

Nope… There is no benefit of critical strike chance above 100%. Critical Multiplier by contrast is how hard a crit hits and doesnt have a limit that I recall.

Its not an ailment - its how much of a chance your char has to critically hit something…

Critical Vulnerability is an ailment that can stack on enemies 4 times - each stack increases the chance that they can be critically hit by 5%. (EDITED)

you can find a lot of this info in-game by pressing G or in AndrewTilleys Community Game Guide

Crit vulnerability does not have a stack cap..

OP, there is only 1 build that has any benefit of going over 100% crit chance (Disintegrate with Ignivar’s Head which converts your crit chance to a % more damage modifier for Disintegrate).

But as Vapour days, the game guides (both the one on the forum and the one in-game) are very good for new players.

Thanks for the links!

Oh, in the community game guide under section 5.13 Critical Strikes, it does not mention that critical strike chance has no benefit above 100%. Nor is this mentioned in the Game guide under G.

Note: There are also games that do implement the multi-crit mechanics, which is part of why I’m asking.

Doesnt really make sense to have a benefit above 100%… Logically 100% crit means that every hit you do will be a crit so there is no difference between 101% vs 200% crit chance… you still crit.

Obviously getting to 100% crit chance is not easy so thats when other things like Crit vulnerability ailments etc can be very useful…

This is the same language adopted as “80% chance to ignite”, going above 100% means every attack you connect with will ignite. Here it makes sense in the game to specifically clarifies that chances above 100% will try to apply additional stacks of ignite.

This clarification is present for all ailments when you pres Ctrl+Alt, but not criticial strike. As a beta status, I’m thinking maybe there’s a gap in the documentation. Coming from games where the notion of crit means “how much extra damage you might do”, where 200% crit means you apply twice the crit multiplier, this is something worth clarifying.

This helps me sincewhere I 103% crit for myself (visible on the caharacter sheet ) as well as my minions (unknown percentage but always yellow on the dummy). Should I grab more crit?

Sure there are lots of things in LE that could use more explaination and documentation… For me its the difference between ailments in LE and the more traditional crit chance plus crit multi concept that has been around forever.

What game has the double crit that you mention? off hand I cannot recall one that works that way…

There is zero reason to grab more crit chance in LE if you are at 100% - it would be much more beneficial to get crit multi/normal damage increases…

Grim Dawn/Titan Quest had something broadly along those lines, once you hit 100% crit chance, increasing your Offensive Ability (the stat that increases your crit chance) increased the crit multi. I seem to remember @heavy mentioning a certain game that he was moderately fond of that had “brutal” crits or some nonsense.

To be fair to the OP, the language used for crits is kinda close to that used for ailments, we’re just used to it.

1 Like

As Llama mentioned, I am talking a lot about Marvel Heroes, which btw does have a good amount of similarities to LE’s planned MP, with some of the social aspets etc.
MoX and Stanzwar mentioned Marvel Heroes a couple of times as well, so there might be some inspiration coming from it.

Marvel Heroes in the end is Diablo 2 with MMO/Social Aspects (the Gaame Director was David Brevik for MH, so that should give some of the D2 Fanboys some good Idea how close MH was too D2)

In Marvel Heroes the system for Critica lStrikes and Brutal Strikes do function differently than any other game I know of.

• You have critical strike chance and brutal strike chance, which are entirely seperate.
  • If a hit successfully rolls a crit, it rolls again with your brutal strike chance, if that is successfuly it does convert the crit to a brutal strike.
  • Critical Strike Damage and Brutal Strike Damage however function a little bit different: Critical strike damage does increase the dmg of both crits and brutals. However there is a stat that solely increases brutal strike dmg, which has a very high numeric value compared to crit damage.

Are there any mobs with Crit Avoidance, which would make player Crit chance >100% useful? If not, should there be?

Enemies can receive Crit Avoidance via Monolith Of Fate Modifiers,

But Critical Strike Avoidance is not working, as you think it does, since it does not reduce the crit chances of an incoming hit, but it has a % chance to convert a Crit back to a normal hit.

1 Like

You can see all standard monster mods here:

Monoliths are outlined here and each specific timeline has a list of potential mono modifiers that you can chose when selecting an echo… (open a timeline in the web link below and scroll to Modifiers)

The example I know since I play recently is Warframe, where for some years crit mechanics and ailment mechanics are the opposite of Last Epoch - crit stack such that 300% chance to crit triples your final crit multiplier, and >100% ailment chance was once useless.

I ended up looking up the older games I had once played, but I had misremembered them. Fallout namely had a separate crit effect that rolls 1 to 100+.

Thanks, I’ll be sure to add this to the CGG next patch cycle when I update it.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.