Crafting Uniques

So I have played every D2 mod, POE, Torchlight, D3 and ECT… Every game out there you cannot add further stats on uniques/legendary. I understand why currently you cannot in last epoch. One thing I love the most about this game is breaking down rares and farming affixes It would be a shame if you didn’t feature uniques also.

affects you could capture :
-150% chance to ignite on hit with fire skills-
-When you kill an enemy with a fire skill you take 4 fire damage over the next 2 seconds-
-20% chance to chill on hit with cold skills-
-20% chance to blind on hit with cold skills-
-You cannot be blinded-

Just some example’s of what you have for of some unique gear.

Using a Unique Shatting Modifier you can randomly harvest one affix… This makes it painful to do so because you won’t always get the unique effect you want. Which makes the crafting uniques hard to do or challenging. Next to add unique effect on a rare item you must find a super rare drop "Add Epic Affix’ support item. Which once used turns the item brown and can no longer be crafted. Now you might be wondering what about balance if every gear on a character has “20% chance to blind on hit with cold skills” thats 220% seems like alot.

Two possable fixes:

1. you cannot have multiple of the same affixes on gear unless same affix came from different gear. You can do this by giving newly crafted unique a set name like “Holy blah blah Boots”
    it should be easy to code the restrictions just by gear current player has equip.

2. Set a default limit on added affixes, that means if 220% seems high have the affix say the limit of 60%. So even if every gear has “20% chance to blind on hit with cold skills” you will only get 60%

Now with that said, i understand this is easier said then done. I have coding experience “No i’m not good obviously” I understand even doing the simplest of things takes time and money. But you would be a fool to not let players craft there own uniques. This is way more important then other threads like each class having there gender choice. Taking a early on unique and making it useful for later tiered gear will keep people come back for more…
Investing in “something” like this is key to stand out from other Arpgs. I know balancing is always a issue in Arpg but honestly who cares anymore if you focus on increasing crafting content and stuff to do end game you could really give us something unique and worth playing for the next 10 years. Interested in other people opinions and what the devs think.

p.s. another topic for later get rid of sets… Having set items is so old and limits possible build options

Is that the purpose of a set? to build a very specific way that cant be done other wise? I can think of at least 1 set that has some unique abilities :slight_smile:

I used to want unique items to be craftable as well, but I can to the conclusion if you can craft them or use the affixes on them on other things… well there no longer unique.

Fair point.
Also, if we have a unique item with some super-unique-affix which obviously IS the reason why that item is unique, then we take that affix and craft some other item with super-unique-affix… does this make that crafted item truly different ?

Perhaps we should talk about mechanics of upgrading and customising uniques we got lucky to have? Like …

1. Take a unique.
  2. Remove random non-unique affix via existing method (runes).
  3. Add new / improve affixes via existing method.
  4. Rise item’s rank (from rusty sword to iron sword) and probably the level of its unique affixes. And here we need new mechanics. Probably some new rare rune which …
  • very rarely drops from strongest enemies.
  • very rarely drops from shattered uniques.
  • applicable to uniques only.
  • has low chance to upgrade item rank and increases fracture level.
  • has good chance to not upgrade item rank but slightly decrease fracture level.

This an example of how we can make our favorite low level uniques always viable.

ADDED:
Perhaps with this we shouldn’t even get any uniques in their strongest version via mob drop? Strongest means crafted. This is what I currently like in LE, if to be honest.

Also I should remind that unique affix doesn’t mean strongest. This approach must be kept to guaranty viability of yellow and purple items.

Not exactly. Uniques usually have some traits, well, unique to themselves. Let’s say I get some very nice Unique at L29 and would like to keep using it at higher level. Would be good to add/improve some boring-but-practical stats just to make it usable at higher level. The uniqueness would be preserved.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.