Combat feel

Hello devs and community! I’m a new player and I’d like to share two things I instantly noticed that I think would make combat feel better:

• Sound effect design. I know some people will roll their eyes on this but being a PoE veteran, I’ve seen a TON of people over the years highly praise PoE for its sound effect design specifically and I think LE could take some notes on this. Basically there are two main things that could improve here: a) mob dying sounds and b) skill impact sounds. I think mob dying sounds should have more “agony” and be higher volume than they are now and skill sounds should be less “slashy” and more “crunchy” on impact. Overall I think the player needs to feel more like killing enemies rather than simply clearing the way.

• Player damage taken. When the player is getting slashed by like 4 mobs and he looks completely unfazed by this, it looks really unnatural. I know this is probably a design choice since the player is usually getting hit a lot in order to not make it look annoying but the animation could just be toned down instead, having no animation at all is many times worse in my opinion. Even simply bobbing the upper torso a bit should do the trick.

I hope this helps, cheers!

2 Likes

Hey there,
Your feedback is a very common one. From the last news we got EHG is now tackling that issue and wants to make the combat feel more crisp.

This includes animations, sounds and on death effects depending on what damage type did the killing blow.

I agree, that the sound is a very important aspect. This is an issue that we find not only on death sounds but also on skill effects. Some skills just sound underwhelming. Its lacking crunch and bite and bass.

On the animation side I find it nice what they’ve done to the bird people. Some months ago they got ragdoll animations. For my taste they are just to slow. To have more feel of impact, the bodies should be smacked around a bit faster, even if this is unrealistic. But it looks better.

On this dev post we got some info on that. There’s a section of “Feel of combat” that has some interesting points.

2 Likes

Continuing where @XLVI_carpo left off, I’ll provide an expanded list of changes coming to combat feel that have been announced in development blogs, on Reddit, or during developer streams. The dev stream examples should start at the relevant section of the YouTube videos.

The latest development updates discussing combat feel:

The LE Game Director also provided some additional info on this subject:

June 24, 2022 Dev Stream - Two work-in-progress examples:

August 12, 2022 Dev Stream - Two additional work-in-progress examples:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.