Can we please stop with decaying minions?

after you get an omni, the rest of the content scaling beyond that doesn’t matter. I have made several manifest armor builds, i’m well aware of it’s potential, and so have others. if you feel minions are too painful to keep alive, then you aren’t building them right, and should probably learn the proper affixes, skill tree nodes, and gearing options to scale the right balance of survivability, and damage, choosing what modifiers to take in monolith, and using powerful interactions will help you push any content, which there are quite a few options for both player, and minions :slight_smile:

To further add, even if your argument was factual, there’'s still no reason to push high corruption, when in lower corruption t6, and t7’s still drop like candy… It would make much more sense if there were more items you needed to get that were gated behind high corruption. And so far, arena, and The EHG sponsored tourneys are more important right now, then that, in the current state of the game.

I’m not entirely sure about that. I would hope that the desired situation is for all builds (including disposable/permanent minions) to be able to hit broadly comparable waves/corruption and use that as a proxy for balance.

and that’s where your job as a community tester comes in handy!

You can start at 200, I believe. 200 arena, and 200 corruption which all builds can do.

I personally prefer playing with non-decaying minions. So as long as both play styles are viable I would be happy.

If I may piggy-bank on this conversation as it’s been on my brain, can someone please do something re: Archmage node in Skeletal Mages? That has to be one of the worst nodes I can think of, and there are a lot of bad nodes. To be fair, I am trying to think of a build to make it work, but it’s a lot of work for something with likely little benefit.

I ask as I’d LOVE to have one big, uber-powerful Archmage just walking around, strutting his stuff, acting like he owes the place, but there’s no point. Either scenario A) why have 1 Archmage when I can have around 5 mages?, or B) why have an Archmage or any pet in the Lich tree (which doesn’t have access to the two +1 mage bonuses that a Necro does). Even then, you’d still have access to the 3rd mage, which is mathematically better than 1 Archmage.

Edit: Also, the Archmage node as it stands is doubly bad as, if you do use it, the Knights node is now worse off as the double projectiles part of the Archmage doesn’t do a thing for the Knight. Give the Knight four arms maybe?

I never play necromancers in ARPGs, but isn’t this node made to adapt skeletons to Abomination ?

Abomination actually wants as many skeletons as you can get. The most powerful nodes in its tree reward eating different types of minions, and each different mage counts as a different type, so by having 3 mages you vastly improve its power. Archmage is bad because not only does it result in less types of minions to consume, the abominations health is based on the health of the minions it consumes. 3 mages is the lowest number a necro can have, 3 mages is 3 times whatever their hp is total added to your abom, if you take archmage you get only 2.3 mages worth of hp even.

And with perma abomination, you can have up to 5 skeletons summoned and still prevent him from decaying, which means you can actually just run all 5 mages with abomination and have 0 issues meaning archmage is just a straight downgrade in that regard too.

The double projectile is useful for the Death Knights, as it doubles the projectiles from their Hungering Souls ability. But yes, for a Death Knight build, it’s better to have the 5 Mages using double Hungering Souls than 1 ArchMage with Quadruple Hungering Souls.

I’m currently using the Archmage as a Skeleton / Wraith Sacrificer and I’m having a blast with it. It is likely the only good use of the Archmage (unless you want to run the 1 Archmage + 2 other minions for the 3-minion Hungering Souls node), as when I ran Mage Sacrifice with normal mages, they killed my other minions so fast I couldn’t keep up. It runs far more smoothly with just the Archmage, and I hope that someday, they introduce a Unique that gives a lot of benefits to the Archmange.

Maybe getting to run a second Archmage, or maybe improve the Bone Golem so you can Archmage Death Knight + Abomination + Bone Golem and run a 3 minion Hungering Souls-type build. But that would require a big improvement on the Abomination’s Corrupt Palate line, because it’s pretty awful right now and requires multiple Mage sacrifices instead of an Arch-Mage sacrifice.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.