Can there be too much loot in a loot driven game? Yes it can! Too many exalted items!

I would add that items also inflict damage per round, simply for wearing them. The better the item, the more damage it does. This would discourage people from going after BiS gear, and would instead play the game in perm-Masochist mode, attempting corruption 500+ in all white gear.

1 Like

As an experiment, I picked up every exalted item I got this patch on a new character. (Except the ones I died and couldn’t pick up, which were only a handful.) I started with a play time of 81 hours and finished with a play time of 154. In that 74 hours, I received 326 exalted items, of which I am wearing 5, and have worn in total about 8 or 10.

I think the tuning on this is fine, by the numbers. That’s only 4.4 exalted items per hour. If you need to see 25 to find a useful one on the less extreme end, then that’s 5.7 hours you’re going to play before you find it. In my case, I had to play 7.4 hours to see a useful one, at best.

My only real quibble with this is having to pay for bank tabs. I have 21 now and I’ve spent a small fortune on them. I guess there’s not much else to spend gold on, so it’s fine. But it would be nice to be able to keep it and use it for something I care more about, like shards or runes I don’t see drop often enough. Of those 21 tabs, my exalted items take up 6 tabs and change. I could start salvaging them but I haven’t had to yet.

Overall, in a genre where regular drops usually become useless and you stop even looking at them 50 to 100 hours into the game, this seems like a good way to make me continue to care about them. And it definitely boosts you on the way to getting an item to plug a gap in your stats somewhere when you’re trying to progress. If anything I’d ask for more of these with specific shards for certain classes because they were too rare in the mix. (I guess that could partially be my fault for not salvaging rare and magic items, which I never did a single time during this playthrough.)

I guess I would also say that set items are too rare; I was playing monolith for most of that time and I only saw 20 set items drop, of which I am wearing 3 and have worn about 5. And most of them were for mage or primalist, which aren’t even my class. That seems a little too exclusive for the effort I put in, especially the way legendaries were just dropping all over the place by comparison. (130 legendaries dropped, of which I am wearing 2, and have worn about 7 or 8. I also got 47 keys during that time, if anybody was curious.)

Edit: Clarified that this was a new character. Also added a thought to the end about set items and legendaries. Also added a thought about salvaging. Corrected some estimates at the top.

And for me its exactly the other way round! If I dont find good items (or better: items that might be good) its impacting my excitment negativly. And sorry, you have already put 150h in the patch 0.9 - I bet like 90% of the players here cant afford to spend that much time!

You can join the merchant guild when 1.0 dropps and you will be happy with all the drop rates - taking this oppertunity to reference to your post complainnig about Mono reqards - exactly the same - the unique symboly is the thing keeping me grinding!

Just adjust your filter to show only T7 one or similar - then you should be good! Thank you!

1 Like

No thanks, I’m good.

The one thing that does seem to drop a lot in this patch are idols. Here’s my breakdown of my idol drops from the 74 hours I played on my new character this patch. (Sorry if the table looks a little wonky, it’s hard to create them here.)

Number of Drops-------Idol (height x width)----Wearing/Have Worn (Aprox)
138--------------------------1x1----------------------------1 / 20
18---------------------------2x2---------------------------0 / 0
21---------------------------1x4----------------------------2 / 6
33---------------------------1x3----------------------------2 / 8
86--------------------------2x1----------------------------0 / 8
81---------------------------1x2----------------------------1 / 10
24---------------------------4x1----------------------------0 / 0
23---------------------------3x1-----------------------------1 / 2

In total I saw 424 idols drop over 74 hours. That’s 5.7 per hour. I estimate having used around 54 of them in total, but let’s round it up to 60 to be safe. That means I found a useful idol every 1.2 hours. Even with 424 drops, I still had to play over an hour to see an idol that fits into or improves my build somehow. This is not to mention the fact that I probably went back and equipped some of these much later on when I needed their stats. I didn’t even find most of them useful right away.

Just by the numbers, that seems about right. Time is precious and life is short. I’d rather not wait multiple hours to receive an interesting item I can use.

Edit: Missed a tab in my bank, found 13 more idols I had to add to the table.

2 Likes

I have a better idea, specific for you: items have durability, a durability that very slowly goes down but you can never repair the item, so after 100 echoes or so, you will be forced to discard the item, so you will never get a good deal of BiS items going.

1 Like

Dude, are you trying to hurt people. I know some folks whose lives that would ruin. lol

Nah, just a bit of trolling.

My personal opinion that nobody asked for:

I feel too that the drops are way too generous right now. Always has been generous, but now is even more.

However I did like you getting more exalteds from monsters on the echoes.

I feel you should reach empowered, with full of rares, some on your ideal bases, others not, maybe 1-2 exalteds, possibly still no Bis Exalted (I mean, in the ideal base, and 3xT5 + Exalted mod (T21-22) + maybe useful T1-3 sealed).

By the time you get your first versions of the 5 important empowered blessings, maybe 3-4 exalteds, maybe one is BiS already, maybe not, and the rest T18-20 mostly in decent bases.

By current experience, I would lower the loot rate and the good reward rate, globally, about 20%-25%.

That’s about it.

3 Likes

If you take a look at the data I posted, I think they’re probably less generous than most people think. We’re just used to other games that hold out on us more than this. In my opinion, that can only be a good thing if we value our time.

I left a similar feedback about this on Discord. I think as it stands, exalted items are more of a chore than a fun itemisation. However IMO making them just rarer isn’t a good solution alone because vast majority is junk. Maybe should have better chances of better rolls combined with decreased drop rate.

1 Like

Apparently you arent?! Or why did you write such a huge essay complainng about too much loot?!

The push and pull of that is, it’s really hard to make more stuff people want drop without tailoring the drops to the class that the person is playing at the time, at least a little bit. I’m not sure if they do that or if it’s within their philosophy to do that, but that’s probably what I would suggest. Tilting the tables towards the class you’re playing at the time makes a lot of sense.

But I’m not sure I would trade drop rate just for that. It already takes between 5 and 7 hours to see a relevant drop you’d actually want to craft and equip. (See my data earlier in this thread.) That’s a lot time. Probably more than it should be.

You just answered your own question. He wants less loot to drop. At no point did he say he wanted to trade. Not sure why you are trying to push the conversation that way.

To add to the topic, I agree that exalted drops are a bit on the common side at the moment, I wouldn’t mind if it was toned down a bit. I think the other problem is that the progression gap from T6 exalts to double T6/T7 feels kind of large. You basically progress really quickly for a while and then run into a wall. I hope future monolith/end game changes smooth this out a bit.

1 Like

You couldnt be more wrong lol. If you want to min-max your build you need a very specific base, with a very specific T7 roll and possibly multiple T7 rolls. Then you need the rest of the affixes to be the exact ones you want, then to have good rolls. It’s impossible to find that perfect item for every slot unless you play idk, 1000 hours for one build?
You should probably filter the trash exalted items out and maybe consider there’s people who play the game more than your 150 hours.

I dont wanna argue - trade just has less loot drops - that makes the progression more meaningfull in his eyes at least… - that was my point.

I have 6 tabs worth of idols because I’m afraid that if I change skills or need to fill in some resist or some other stat, and I don’t already have these to choose from, it means some unknown amount of time (days/weeks!) farming up the idols I need to help drive a build.

This seems both great for the interesting variety but it sucks in terms of needing to horde items. I wish idols had their own shards and could be crafted. This would make this significantly better. Maybe at least for the 1x1 + 2x1 idols, where larger idols are as they are today? Shrug.

My solve now is to finely tune my filter to stop picking these up (out of sight, out of mind). I did something similar for all items with class specific mods: filtered it down to just the explicit mods I can use now by sub-type, and it helped reduce the amount of un-used items I was picking up.

Ultimately the loot filter works but it needs some nesting so I can combine sub-type rules with affix filter rules. Currently you have to couple affixes with specific subtypes… so you end up with a laundry list of rules for a small pool of filters.

2 Likes

Such an original idea. I’ve never seen durability implemented in a game before!

Oh, wait.

Are any of the ideas in LE original?

The idea(s) that any concepts we don’t like quoteunquote destroy games?

1 Like

I tend not to get too many exalts, they seem rare for me.

This seems to be a loot bug where some people are getting WAY TOO MANY exalts whilst others are getting relatively few.

I think this may be an issue with the method used to generate RNG being system dependent. Because that is the only explanation I could give for why YOU keep getting great exalts but I NEVER get the good stuff.

It may even be a difference between ONLINE and OFFLINE characters