Bone Spires could use a nerf maybe

The issue with Bone Spires isnt that they arent telegraphed well enough, its that if you get two or more Bone Spires the projectiles get very very hard to dodge, and the projectiles themselves do massive damage. This makes it just a frustrating experience to try and do a large map with multiple Bone Spires, I don’t usually complain about hard content, but its at the point where I would rather just forfeit a reward and teleport out then get hit by the Spires Projectiles over and over again. I think they gave it a slight nerf with the .8.2G update but it still feels pretty bad I think

?

?

?

Well sorry forgot to add IMO

Maybe if you find some element hard it is more constructive to ask for help than nerfs?

The spire damage was nerfed into the ground yesterday, but that is of little import as they now attack slower than a torpid tuatara.

Well I am providing feedback based on my experience, if there are three bone spires out the projectiles take up most of the screen and are hard to dodge… considering they were almost one shoting 2k health even after the nerf. The problem isnt the delay, I can get out of the way of the landing spots no problem. Again this is a spot for feedback and suggestions and to say my feedback is not valid is your opinion, just as me saying the bone spires seem kinda off balance is my opinion, but i do appreciate your feedback.

I have adapted my game play to compensate for bone spires.
I don’t stop to loot anything until after I have killed the spires, I then go back to loot anything that happened to catch my eye.

It may not be efficient, but it’s better than death.

1 Like

You are asking for nerfs. That affects everyone. You are asking for nerfs for everyone.

That’s not imo. That’s not providing feedback.

You could have said something similar to, “I am having trouble with spires, they one-shot me on 2k health. Help please?”

And then many lovely and knowledgeable people would have rushed to your aid, seeing why on earth a character with 2k health was getting one-shot and then you could improve your build.

I do not think asking for the game to be nerfed for everyone is polite, even if you do add ‘imo’. This however, is my opinion. YMMV

1 Like

I would argue we did not give them a slight nerf but a pretty hefty one last patch. We targeted Bone Spires in particular giving them 34% less damage and reduce the rate at which they fall by 20%.

You mentioned you got one shot with 2k health but can you give me more information? What build were you playing? What defensive do you have? Empowered or non empowered monolith? What amount of corruption do you have?

We want to keep spires to feel impactful and dangerous but not punishing for geared players.

3 Likes

Not sure you understand feedback based on experience friend…
Seeing more and more of people harrasing other people because they disagree with an opionion of theirs, this forum is for feedback and suggestions and that is exactly what I am doing, I really hope EHG will start putting a stop to the toxicity that is happening in the forums these days, it doesnt say ELITE PLAYERS POST HERE ONLY, so yea I will continue to give my rookie feedback based on how the game feels to me, the devs dont have to take anything from my post if they do not want to.

Ok to clarify when I say one shot, I really mean one shot by a group of spires landing at the same time, so probably was hit by 2 or maybe 3 projectiles, also I have about 750 hrs in the game and I just started at .8.1, so I am not a rookie, but I am not as experienced as some. My phy res was around 65 percent at the time so could have been improved slightly, I have other layers of defense as well such as pretty decent endurance, mono level was 90. I have the footage saved and I will go review to determine how many projectiles actually hit me. But the whole issue isnt that the spire is too tough, but its nearly unavoidable as another poster here has stated that they just bum rush the spires and then go collect gear after because the bone spires are not fun to run a map with.
Again I love the game, I spend most of my life playing it lol, but just based on how everything else feels good with spires for the most part, I wanted to share my opinion that the bone spires just feel off still to me.

I think Vincto has a reasonable worry. There have been a large number of forum posts asking for nerfs to mechanics that were actually fine, but required an adjustment from the player. Either they didn’t understand something about the mechanic itself or something about their gear/build needed to be improved upon. If EHG acts upon these calls for nerfs, then the content becomes much too easy for anybody who has already made the proper adjustments to the mechanic.

I know some of us feel that this has already happened with the spires this patch, where they were actually dangerous at the start and kind of fun to interact with since we needed to be aware of them at all times to where they’re now pretty much an afterthought because the attack speed is so slow and the damage is no longer particularly high. So I don’t think it’s a matter of suggesting that “only elite players can post here” but a matter of: Is this actually a perfectly fine mechanic that needs to be adjusted to by the player? And if so, is calling for a nerf instead of making the adjustment potentially detrimental to those who have already made the adjustment because it trivializes content?

1 Like

EHG will only act on a called nerf if they test and feel that it is necessary, I love ya McFluffin I sub to you and watch your streams so I respect your opinion, but I don’t agree that censorship of other players opinions on how the game can be improved is the answer?? DO you? And if so should they change how they have these forums posted to direct people a little more, because I thought what I was doing was providing feedback but now I am not sure

Appreciate that! Of course I don’t call for censorship, and I’m 100% not telling you to not vent your frustrations. I’m just saying that what I think Vincto is trying to convey is that some players may be calling for nerfs to systems and mechanics a bit too quickly, whereas seeking out how others deal with those mechanics and systems might lead them to a different conclusion.

I also understand wanting to rely on EHG to make the right decisions in these scenarios, but part of what makes EHG so good as a developer is just how much they take in feedback from the community and make adjustments. Ultimately, we are the ones who play the game the most, so they can’t always just rely on internal testing to get a good picture of how the game is playing out for players.

I appreciate your very mature response on explaining why I am wrong. Keep up the good work in your streams friend!!!

Just want to be clear that I’m not trying to say you’re wrong. I just wanted to try and frame Vincto’s concerns in a way that avoids the worry of elitism (which is a very reasonable worry in and of itself). I’m glad you’re someone who wants to provide feedback on areas that you think could be improved!

And thanks again for the kind words, I hope to see you in chat :slight_smile:

Completely understand, and I dont want to go down the path of elite vs casual feedback, but also that being said, you guys have to understand that saying oh you should ask someone with thousands of hours for help isn’t really the answer either. The game should feel good for casual players as well as players with a lot of hours in the game, its pretty much the most impossible balance to achieve.

1 Like

Certainly, if it takes thousands of hours to get something down, then that isn’t very casual friendly and I’m very much an advocate of LE being casual friendly. So hopefully getting help doesn’t require someone with that much experience. And yeah, the balance is always going to be a huge challenge!

Feel free to DM me the video of the spire death, it would help me to understand what happened. I have tested the spires in actual play myself but I did find this particular one a little spooky but this was before the recent nerf.

We can certainly look into reducing the damage again or see if there is another alternative, such as reducing the projectile speed of the bone spikes so it’s easier to dodge.

just a casual observation that could be mistaken: it seems like bone spires have the same sort of tracking that enemies charging up a big telegraph do… that is to say, they seem to track player movement up until the projectiles shoot out, and they are always aimed directly at the player… i think this contributes to the feeling that they are incredibly hard to avoid. if the projectiles were fired in random directions it might make it feel better.

and if i am mistaken and they aren’t auto-targeting in that way, then i think just a little less projectile speed might be enough.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.