Black Hole is too easily ignored

Hi everyone,
I just recently started playing and made a sorcerer choosing black hole as my primary CC skill, the huge problem is that every single mob captured by the black holes simply keeps attacking, which defeats the purpose of crowd control.

Even worse, I try and use BH on those enemies I know will jump on me (why are they completely immune to damage during their jump animation, btw?), but those enemies can simply use thir jump to completely get out of the BH.

I expected an incredible CC from a skill with a huge 20 seconds cooldown, I intead had to switch to Glacier that has no CD and freezes the enemies so they cannot keep attacking.

Is this an oversight and it will be fixed, or is this how the skill is supposed to behave?

As far I know, Black Hole can’t obtain any ability to pull / destroy projectiles. Also, you need to increase pull strength and area to prevent enemies from escaping BH effect. All this + 14 sec cooldown makes BH not very good spell.

Yeah, it’s not supposed to stop mobs from attacking you with ranged (or melee if you use it in melee range), it’s a cc that moves the mobs to a particular place.

That’s the point: mobs are being wailed around by one (or two) black holes, yet they’re absolutely unaffected by it and can attack without a problem. They can even do their ground smash attacks while floating in the air.

Given that the most dangerous for a caster, the ones that jump on you, can escape the BH with the same attack you’re trying to prevent them from doing is an absolute joke.
I have maxed the pull and range of double BH, yet they’re completely useless as CC.

BH cannot be just a super expensive spell to group mobs for a meteor attack…

Yeah, I think it should also prevent them from using any movement skills, that’s totally reasonable.

Black Hole has some freeze-nodes (Pulsar + Deep Space) and you can max its duration via Stability + Cascade Fracture. Need of “Rifts” node is debatable. With this it can be some kind of initiator. Though base freeze rate of 30 is meh :thinking:. Also this build locks you with a freeze build. And, if we’re talking about maxing freeze chances, Glacier spell is still much stronger. Why not combine them though? Black Hole is DoT and Clacier has Vortexes which are also DoTs.

P.S. I can’t say how effective all I wrote is :sweat_smile:.

The build is not really the core of the argument, the mechanics of BH are.

At the moment it works more like a little slippery slope than a black hole: enemies cannot climb past it, but they can shoot arrows, cast skills, melee hit, and those with movement skills can simply run over it.

Well, you probably wish to see a Diablo version of a Black Hole here. It definitely rocks. But I must say, despite the fact current BH has limited usage, I stand strongly against making its effect same ultimately unavoidable. Back in old days this spell was broken as hell due to its ability to soak no matter what and keeping it at one point. I had some ideas and thoughts about it.

It’s my own opinion of course. But I think that pulling and freezing (+ blind) is pretty good alternative which may become very effective after some balance changes.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.