Better Crafting Potential when slaying

… elites, bosses, and just higher level enemies in general. I’m speaking as a player who only wants to see “normals” dropping (via filters).

So maybe a normal that drops from a boss would be minimum of 30, and 28 from an elite, etc.

It makes sense that these bigger enemies would turn their collective noses at low quality stuff :slight_smile:

And on the subject of filters and Crafting Potential, are there plans to add a filter for Crafting Potential much like Item Levels?

Thanks.

The devs said, there are currently no plans to add forging potential nor legendary potential to the loot filter.

Short Answer: The Loot Filter is only a tool to make the amount of loot managable, but should not take away decisionmaking from the player.

Here is a more detailed response from Mike, one of their senior devs:

Regarding normal items with more forging potential:
I personally dislike the idea. Having blanket items, which you can essentialy craft into anything you want is boring.

I want to find loot, that already fits somehow into what I want and use all the tools available to me to further fine tune that item.

Thanks for the response, but I don’t understand your take on the filter.

It already can filter out about a billion things (which is great, btw). I don’t get how adding a filter for Crafting Potential (aka CP) would be an undesirable thing.

Before CP came along, I could already eliminate anything I didn’t want. My desire is not having to mouse-over every drop that’s being displayed through the filter to see if it has a decent amount of CP. It’s a waste of time (admittedly, not a whole lot of time). And, frankly, I find the crafting system much more frustrating than the old one.

If the goal is to reduce the quantity of loot, filtering by CP does just that. It’s no different than the one for item levels, or item type, or rarity, etc etc.

And regarding higher CP on drops, I think maybe you thought I was asking for an increase in CP across the board, since the increased number of higher level CP items would not be much since it would only drop from bosses/elites.

Thanks again.

I would prefer to reference to the actual term that is used in-game.

It is called Forging Potential. I don’t want to be pendantic, but throwing around different abbreviations or terms is not helpful.

So lets keep using the term, that the game uses.

It is a difficult thing to balance:

I agree that you already could make a very strict loot filter, before Forging Potential was introcuded.

With the introduction of FP and the inability to filter by it, making super strict loot filters was made harder.
But there is always a minimum FP that an item will have based on it’s amount of affixes.
On top of that, just because an item has a relatively low FP, doesn’t mean it is impossible to make something useful out of it. (Depending on what affixes are already on it)
Just 1 or 2 successful Glyphs Of Hope and/or 1 or 2 critical success can make even those items worthwhile.

One of the devs initial goals with the crafting overhaul was to keep crafting a little bit unpreditcable, which is totally agree with.
If you can already predict the outcome of any craft, loot and crafting becomes very stale.
Here is the part of the crafting overhaul dev blog I am refering too:

If you personally really want to only loot stuff, that is almost guaranteed to be an upgrade, you can still make your loot filter super strict, so the actual FP on the item will matter less.

This way you will see way less items, but those you see are basically an almost guaranteed upgrade.

Any new feature or option added to the loot filter will do this, but the ultimate goal of the devs is, to provide a tool to make loot manageable, without overtaking any decision making from the player.

There are even more options missing, than just FP and LP, but the devs think it is important, that there is some player agency required and I totally agree with that.

It’s a fine line. With every option and feature added, the next person will request something more and more and more.
Until we reach a state where looting is entirely automated and the system auto-pick ups all the loot.

I know what you requested, I still don’t llike it.

I don’t want normal items with enourmaous FP from any source.
They simply do not make loot and crafting exciting IMO.

Thank you for the detailed answers, and while we’ll agree to disagree on a few points, I understand the explanations and respect the devs decisions.

But please understand I wasn’t asking for enormous FP; just a tad higher from high level enemies, and only on Normals. To me, THAT makes it more exciting and satisfying :slight_smile:

Oh, and sorry about using CP. I stand (sit) corrected.

But otoh, the word “Crafting” is used too, including the Game Guide, so shouldn’t all references to it be called “Forging”? The link to “Crafting Changes” in your response and the underlying text use the word “crafting”. I know, piddling point, but since I was scolded for it … :slight_smile:

First of all I get your point and this is something we are used to from other games. Bi9gger threads = potential better loot. That’s already the case to some extend and true to items you can only get from specific enemys.

That isn’t realy making sense in most cases in LE. From my point of view there are no human society races as it seems and to the most mobs loot would be totaly useless. Loot is simply a strange thing in games ^^. A good example might be:

It might be nice to have intelligent loot from mobs that made sense - like two handed clubs from the Wengari Warrior mobs or pet related things from the Wengari Beastmaster but I think 1) its too late to do this in LE and 2) (as you say) unlike Grim Dawn for example, there are a limited number of mob “races” that logically would have evolved to use human-like weapons… although you could come up with some “excuse” as to why you are getting magic wands from a void blob mob… Suspension of disbelief will allow a lot…

Its basically extending the idea of a boss drop chances down to rare/mob level - cannot really fault the concept but I dont think LE was designed to do that from the start… and shoehorning it in now may not be something worth doing… perhaps the devs could consider this as a potential solution for loot issues/features post 1.0…

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong I don’t want this in the game :D. It’s just one example why some mobs drop crap and others treasures. It’s rng at the end of the day and neither realistic or about a wishlist big bosses gave their goons :).

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.