Ascendant Embermages are still unfair

Do you mean fire golems?

Siege Golem.

My biggest issue with them is how short the time is between even just seeing evidence they exist and when you have to dodge. Even if the offscreen issue was fixed, Iā€™ve had plenty of times where even when they get onscreen and I see them, the time it takes for my brain to process I need to move now is too long and I get bonked for most of my health (if Iā€™m lucky).

I really like, that these mobs do change your behaviour quite drastically.

Once you spotted them, you want to keep moving until they have cast their meteor.

I think we need a combination of:

• Decrease their range
  • Make the animation/telegraph more prominent
  • increase their cooldown between meteors
3 Likes
  • increase the casting animation by 0.3 seconds.
1 Like

I actually want monster to be able kill me unfairly, especially when im not paying attention or when my sound is off and i cant hear embermage announcing VERY LOUDLY their appearance.

The last thing i want are the ember mages standing there like a dummy, taking their own sweet time to cast stuff while i steamroll over them.

So i vote no nerf necessary :slight_smile:

I think the issue is between cast time and damage. Its a hard to dodge skill which is fine but also deals a chunky amt of dmg.

I donā€™t find them too problematic on builds that are super tanky(even then packs can be harsh) or more importantly builds that keep moving while dealing dmg (not high arena or super high corrupt).

I guess they are meant to be the opposite of lightmages (who use that yellow smite like skill with a long wind up and can offscreen like crazy) so I would agree with reducing their range and damage.

reaches for the oil canister with the ā€œEmber Mages are underpowered and need a buffā€ to fuel the fire

Embermages hurt but these days I rarely stand still in LE so embermages arenā€™t that bad at all. On the other hand Iā€™d like to be save again and not to sacrifice half of my killspeed because there could be an enemy who nukes me from offscreen ^^.

You arent trash, I also didnt see any indicator which is a shame because I think the telegraphs are something this makes this game better than others.

After 3 weeks of dealing with the Embermages in various characters/builds/levelsā€¦

• I still believe that they are one of the more dangerous mobs and its good to have new dangerous mobs for each chapter in the campaign - just like the elementals and birds are when you are still levelling your character early in the game.

• I dont think that the damage that they do individually is a problem and believe that it should not be nerfed. The damage issue is however very important for multiple embermages in a group. Shrugging off one attack you didnt see is not that hard but 4 blasts that hit at once from out of no-where is not great.

• I no longer think that they are too fast in terms of cast speed/cooldowns etc. If you see it coming you can move.

• I do not think their telegraph is too subtleā€¦ In fact all the little lazer beam thingies are hard to miss (even at very low graphics quality). Visual clutter is however a problem generally in this game where there are so many effects that the usually obvious telegraphs of mobs are hidden.

• I do believe that they should not be able to attack from off screen at all - this same issue is a problem for multiple mobs (lightning elementals etc) so its probably using duplicate mob AI/code. This issue is also obviously related to to screen resolution & widescreen ratios. How this is resolved I have no ideaā€¦ I have a feeling that its a lot more complicated than I understand.

TLDR; Embermages are fineā€¦ Offscreen attacks are notā€¦ Visual clutter hides telegraphsā€¦

1 Like

When theyā€™re on-screen, the telegraph is fine, the problem is that theyā€™re often off-screen when they cast (@ 1440) so you canā€™t see it.

I donā€™t know, I still havenā€™t identified it

Thereā€™s some particle effects that look like a load of embers/sparkles above the mage pointing in the direction the meteor is cast. Itā€™s fairly obvious when itā€™s on-screen.

Well, I just did several waves and met those guys, but I did not see the telegraph. Iā€™ll catch it on a video or screenshot somewhere.

I can confirm this, never noticed any telegraphs. Especially not if the shoot from out of screen obvioulsy :smiley:

Just the fact there are this many posts re: this issue indicates these mobs are not ā€œOKā€. They are an outlier in the game and something needs to be done to fix them. Many of the comments in this thread come from long time players or ā€œelitesā€ if you like. If EHG hopes to attract and keep more of the general public this kind of issue needs to be dealt with promptly. The Embermages have effectively ruled out the Arena as a play area for many of us.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.